Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going by the photo you posted of the CHAdeMO adapter, 445,000 South Korean Won is about US$355 at the moment. So that's about $100 cheaper than what I paid for one 4 years ago. If $355 is the single-unit price and he said it was about $250, was that then for one piece from a group buy? And how many adapters were in that group?

Just curious. I'd only suggest people getting a CHAdeMO if: 1) they are in an area, or will be traveling through, that has more CHAdeMO stations than Superchargers, 2) the electricity cost for charging is comparable to Supercharging (on a $/kW basis), unless CHAdeMO is the only charging resource available, and 3) cost of the adapter is reasonable (meaning less than what Tesla used to sell them for).

For now, if people want to expand their charging choices beyond the Supercharger network, I'd say go with the CCS1 adapter from Korea. Latest cars (3/Y) should already be enabled with the proper Gen4 charge port ECU. Older 3s will need the wiring adapter that @FalconFour designed, along with said Gen4 ECU. There's certainly a lot more CCS1 stations than CHAdeMO now and it's probably going to be harder in the coming years to find a CHAdeMO connection.

Good info. I realized I cropped the photo too much and cut off CCS Combo 1 Adapter's price. It is now fixed. Currently the CCS Combo 1 Adapter is 299,200 Won, which google tells me it is currently 239.09 USD.

Just curious. I'd only suggest people getting a CHAdeMO if: 1) they are in an area, or will be traveling through, that has more CHAdeMO stations than Superchargers,
Should it be more like charging in areas where Superchargers are inconvenient relative to CHAdeMO chargers that do not also have Tesla plugs. (Some EVgo charging stations with CHAdeMO have Tesla adapters attached or built into the station; see post #13.)

As mentioned in an earlier post, I got the CHAdeMO adapter from Tesla in 2019 for my 2018 M3 AWD LR. Planning a drive to Nova Scotia this summer from N.E. and CHAdeMO is available in many places allowing me not to worry about Superchargers. Don't think there's one south/west of Halifax toward Yarmouth. There are plenty of EV charging points so I'm satisfied to have the CHAdeMO for this trip. I'll get a CCS(?) when they become available in the US. Meanwhile it's Superchargers, NEMA 1450, CHAdeMO, J1772 or 110V. 🙃

You must have gotten the CCS1 from Korea. Yes?
CCS1 adapter from Tesla Korea, new CP ECU from Tesla, and harness adapter from my own sweaty hands

I believe Tesla is doing a North America soft launch of the CCS1 adapter via Korean proxy shippers. I'm pretty sure they've sold more CCS1 adapters in Korea than they've sold compatible cars in Korea....... It provides a way for super-fans to get the adapter and build up the hype prior to a NA launch.

CHAdeMO is a dead standard. Even Nissan is discontinuing it. Unless you have a very specific need for a CHAdeMO adapter, I'd save my money and buy the Tesla CCS1 adapter when available in the US (soon) for $299 (rumored price).
No, Nissan is not discontinuing it.

Leafs continue to be sold with it. Ariya for US and Europe will have CCS (CCS1 and CCS2, respectively) while AFAIK, in Japan, Ariya will still be CHAdeMO.

Per CHAdeMO continues its network expansion getting close to 50k charge points | CHAdeMO, there are 7800 CHAdeMO chargers in Japan, a country that is (IIRC) about 89% the size of California.