Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Challenges for Electric Vehicles - Can we beat the pumps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I've recently written an article which looks at the current limitations of electric cars, as well as how it affects potential new buyers and whether or not it is sustainable for the entire planet to run Electric Cars at the moment. I'd love to get some thoughts from other electric car owners, and if there any potential solutions to the problems that I'm not aware of ?

This is the article: Challenges for Electric Vehicle Production - Can we beat the pumps?

It's a relatively quick read, and I would really appreciate any feedback or thoughts on the content.

Thanks

Joey

Hey guys,

I've recently written an article which looks at the current limitations of electric cars, as well as how it affects potential new buyers and whether or not it is sustainable for the entire planet to run Electric Cars at the moment. I'd love to get some thoughts from other electric car owners, and if there any potential solutions to the problems that I'm not aware of ?

This is the article: Challenges for Electric Vehicle Production - Can we beat the pumps?

It's a relatively quick read, and I would really appreciate any feedback or thoughts on the content.

Thanks

Joey

Theres only one limitation now. Cost. That will disappear within five years. As far as the entire planet using them goes, eventually we might get a high percentage using them, but it’ll take 20+ years.

Hey guys,

Thanks

Joey

You seem to have fallen for a few EV myths;

Well designed EV batteries are not going to degrade like a laptop or a phone. Unlike mobile devices EVs are rarely charged to 100% and even less often sit at 100% for a prolonged period of time. Most EV batteries also have sophisticated cooling and management systems to protect the batteries.

The 'shifted emissions' argument gets more absurd with every passing day; Numerous studies have shown that EVs are significantly cleaner than cars powered by fools fuel and this is assuming 'grid mix'; EVs DO NOT USE 'GRID-MIX'; EVs are generally charged off-peak when demand is lower and the grid is cleaner. They can also be used to reduce curtailment. Nothing cleaner than using surplus wind or solar that would have been wasted if there wasn't an EV available to take the energy.

Hey guys,

Thanks

Joey

Sounds like a 'hit piece'.

Transition Time: Countries like Norway prove that the switch can be much quicker than the UK. 55.9% of sales in 2019 were EV in Norway.

Choices: The number of different EV models available in 2021 will be double what it is today. Tesla has 4 models in production. Which is up from 1 model 5 years ago.

Technology: First note that over 90% of EV owner's mileage comes from home charging. As far as battery wear, we are just starting to see how long EVs last. The wear is probably not going to be a big issue it seems since the tech has improved in that decade.

Who Pays: Again, most charging is done at home. Tesla has already proved in that in the largest freeway-capable EV market (US/California), that Tax Subsidies are not necessary anymore. In fact, California is starting to tax EVs at a higher rate than gas cars yet sales are still climbing.

Zero Carbon: Only fools try to sell EVs as zero carbon. Not even bicycles and running shoes are zero carbon. But it takes less energy at the 'nozzle' to run an EV a mile than a gas or diesel car. So even if you use fossil-fuel to run generators, it's still lower carbon than gasoline or diesel.

But the real story is the car itself. Anyone want to go back to non-syncro manual transmissions? Still want incandescent headlights? 36HP engines? Car batteries that don't last a full year? Tuneups every 8,000 miles? Tires that last 15,000 miles? Hand-crank starters? 8-Track 'infotainment'? I sure don't.

The electromotive powertrain is a superior technology. Look at all the gymnastics spark cars have done to try and get quicker acceleration and throttle response. A $50,000 gas engine has worse responsiveness than a Nissan Leaf. And you can't 'go get gas' while you sleep, or make your own gasoline at home. Why have mufflers and hot exhaust systems? Why have a car you can't run in a closed garage? Why do oil changes and smog checks?

There still are some advantages to internal combustion engines, but the list is getting shorter each year. They have improved the gas and diesel engines more in the last 10 years than the previous 20 years. But EVs are improving at an even faster rate.

Hey guys,

Thanks

Joey

Can we beat the gas pumps?
For this owner, we already have beat the gas pumps.

‘Fueling’ in my garage is cheaper, more convenient, and takes less time than going to a gas station.
Road trips are more enjoyable (for us) than they ever were in a gas powered car.
Winter driving is more enjoyable that it was in a gas car.

When will gas cars catch up?

Yes, I think you cover most of the issues pretty well. There are responses to many of the objections you list, but you are getting feedback from an atypical group. Tesla owners tend to love their cars and see the advantages of going electric. Teslas are still priced way out of the reach of many people however, whereas the owners here can afford them. I think many of the points other make here are good, but it will take some education for the current average motorist to see things the way people here do. Your article is a step in the direction of educating people about the transition to electric. That is a good thing.

Yes, I think you cover most of the issues pretty well. There are responses to many of the objections you list, but you are getting feedback from an atypical group. Tesla owners tend to love their cars and see the advantages of going electric. Teslas are still priced way out of the reach of many people however, whereas the owners here can afford them. I think many of the points other make here are good, but it will take some education for the current average motorist to see things the way people here do. Your article is a step in the direction of educating people about the transition to electric. That is a good thing.

???? ..... how is it even remotely legitimate to compare EV battery degradation to a laptop? That's like comparing an IC engine to a budget lawn mower engine; The article is at best severely misinformed on facts.

But here's the key point a lot of people seem to ignore. ~99% of 'challenges' EVs face are solved by building more EVs. How do we make them cleaner? Increase the EV fleet size to make demand response aggregation more profitable. How do we make them cheaper? Increase the EV fleet size because and allow economies of scale to work. How do we increase the number of charge points? Increase the EV fleet size to improve the utilization rates so public charging is actually profitable.

As opposed to ICE challenges which are solved by shifting away from ICE...

Last edited:
???? ..... how is it even remotely legitimate to compare EV battery degradation to a laptop? That's like comparing an IC engine to a budget lawn mower engine; The article is at best severely misinformed on facts.

I had a feeling I was going to catch a lot of flack for this response. It is legitimate for the author to compare the battery problem to something the non-EV owning reader would understand. That does not say that EV batteries are the same as those in a laptop. Nevertheless, judging from the number of threads in the forum worrying about battery degradation, it appears that it is an issue for
EV’s too.

I had a feeling I was going to catch a lot of flack for this response. It is legitimate for the author to compare the battery problem to something the non-EV owning reader would understand. That does not say that EV batteries are the same as those in a laptop. Nevertheless, judging from the number of threads in the forum worrying about battery degradation, it appears that it is an issue for
EV’s too.

..... sure.... except with EVs the battery degradation we're talking about makes them slightly less useful in ~1% of use cases while laptop and phone degradation that people are familiar with makes the useless....

'....but they degrade after only a few years...'

In what language is >10 years 'only a few'? Has English English drifted that far from American English? Is 10 years considered a 'few' in England?

Hey guys,

Thanks

Joey

More than the kind of point by point breakdown others are doing; I don’t know that I see the purpose of this writing. What insight or research are you trying to convey? It reads kind of like a stream of conscious remembering of different vague arguments people have made against EVs over the years. Plenty of articles like this already out there, with no new information or point of view, what argument are you trying to sway with this?