Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chance to buy "test drive" model - Should I ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So,

I decided to upgrade to the performance version, originally ordered LR AWD.

My salesman called me and gave me a few options in different colors.

One of those is a Midnight Silver car, but it is a "test drive" unit. It has 4900 miles on it and is #879
It does come with a considerable discount.

I'm curious as to what you would do. Buy this one or wait for a brand new one.

As of now I have the VIN assigned to me, but I can change to a new vehicle if the photos I get early next week show it to be in disrepair or beat up.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Assuming it comes with a "new car" warranty and is in perfect physical condition, I'd say it depends on how much of a discount, where your budget is at, and how anxious you are to get the car now. If you are borrowing to buy the car, and the discount is big enough, it will mean more money left over for something else. If cost is no object, I would prefer a new car just out of an irrational dislike of a car other folks have used.

Your budget and the amount of the discount are the important factors.

Reactions: IdaX and alexcue
What kind of discount are you talking? If you can get a new vehicle warranty and it's big price cut, I'd scoop it up.

Think of the resale. In 3y nobody will know it was a test drive model (and likely it will have no issues). The resale will probably be the same as any other MYP of the same mileage.

So you've got a chance to cut your depreciation by a HUGE amount.

I’d do it. 4900 miles is nothing and it’s hard to “use and abuse” a demo unit when you need to have a handler with you.

Plus fit and finish will be good as I’m sure they try to get demo units out that showcase units with good build quality.

I’m curious what considerable is... I feel like Tesla could discount that as low as $2k to maybe $4k. Every time I’ve heard discounts for test drive or display models they’re a joke...

The discount is $2760 and it does come with a full warranty.
In my head thats considerable, It may not be, and I'm open to hearing why.

Thanks for all of the thoughts so far!

Reactions: imola.zhp
So,

One of those is a Midnight Silver car, but it is a "test drive" unit. It has 4900 miles on it and is #879

As of now I have the VIN assigned to me, but I can change to a new vehicle if the photos I get early next week show it to be in disrepair or beat up.

I wouldn't do it. I would hold out and just order exactly the one you wanted, with the right color, options, features, etc. Demos get abused. Everyone wants to floor the accelerator, go crazy with it. Especially first-time EV owners, like me. I test drove the MY Performance (wound up getting the LR AWD), and it had me sold.

The discount is $2760 and it does come with a full warranty.
In my head thats considerable, It may not be, and I'm open to hearing why.

Thanks for all of the thoughts so far!

I don't think I'd consider that "considerable." $2,760 off of a 60+K car. I'd look at the Kelly Blue Book price for a used one with that mileage and demand a discount that brought it down to that. Or, because of the warranty, I'd say demand a discount of 75% of the KBB depreciation amount. One internet source says that a new car loses at least 15% of its value the moment you drive it off the lot.

On a $60K car I'd want at least a $5K discount before I'd even consider accepting a demo. However, the caveat is that I place a high premium on "new." And the other caveat is that I'd advise anybody against buying a luxury car if they have to borrow. Borrowing is a recipe for unhappiness. If you have to borrow for transportation, get a reliable used econobox.

So that's my advice: If you have to borrow, don't buy an expensive car. If you have the cash, demand at least a $5K discount for the demo. Or a free upgrade to FSD if and only if the FSD package is something you really want, understanding that FSD does not mean the car will ever be fully autonomous: It will just have some very nice Level 2 driver-assist features. (I love EAP on my Model 3; Level 2 but really nice to have.)

So,

If you do, talk to the sales rep and make sure they install the "jacket" on the AC compressor. They didn't start that till several thousand cars in and everyone says it makes a considerable difference in terms of sound noise.

If you decide against the car, please PM me your sale rep's info, I'll happily take it.

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt
I wouldn't do it. I would hold out and just order exactly the one you wanted, with the right color, options, features, etc. Demos get abused. Everyone wants to floor the accelerator, go crazy with it. Especially first-time EV owners, like me. I test drove the MY Performance (wound up getting the LR AWD), and it had me sold.
I don’t think anyone would buy the car I test drove if they saw what I did with it. I’ve never treated my personal car like that :D

Don't do it. Those cars are abused like crazy. Completely not worth it

We see how humans treat rental cars, and sometimes it leaves a lot to be desired. A performance rental? I suspect a lot of people really tested that performance, and for 4500 miles. Would the cost-savings be worth it? Depends on the condition of the car. Did people smoke in it? This would be a huge dealbreaker for me but my nose is freakin' bionic. This is a tough one. Could be fine...or not. Maybe see it in person if at all possible, or at least get a lot of detailed, high-resolution pics (and video) to ogle.

I can say that when I test-drove a Model 3 LR from Turo, I treated that car as if it were my own, and I treat cars extremely well. I wouldn't even let someone in it who had smoked. He wasn't smoking, he had smoked recently and I could smell it on him. There was no way I wanted the owner to smell that or think that I smoked in his car. Plus, I was on the hook for cleaning fees if the owner somehow that I smoked in his car, despite the story of the recently-smoking friend.

Reactions: Impaler
I’d do it. 4900 miles is nothing and it’s hard to “use and abuse” a demo unit when you need to have a handler with you.

Plus fit and finish will be good as I’m sure they try to get demo units out that showcase units with good build quality.

Tesla no longer requires a “handler” for test drives. I was given a performance Y for 30min to drive by myself. Needless to say I averaged over 1000 Wh/mi on that trip.

• Informative
Reactions: gabeincal
Tesla no longer requires a “handler” for test drives. I was given a performance Y for 30min to drive by myself. Needless to say I averaged over 1000 Wh/mi on that trip.

I stand corrected. It still wouldn’t stop me from buying a demo unit. You don’t get nearly the amount of damage that could occur with an ICE when people drive it like they stole it (aka drive it like a rental) on their demo drives.

The motors on our cars are boss. Only thing to worry about would maybe be be the fact the car was super charged for those 4900 miles (which again, Tesla designs for) Even then they have to take care of these cars so that people have sweet demos. I’d have no problem buying a demo unit personally. If it’s not for you, don’t buy it.

Reactions: RNHurt and MrTemple
As far as people have noted "abused" for demo models, that's mostly applying to hard acceleration. With electric motors, this isn't much of a concern like it would be for a regular ICE car.
There's no transmission to wear out and no timing belt to stretch. With this type of EV, acceleration won't negatively affect the car nearly as much.
Essentially, the only problem would be the tires.
And it should be kept immaculate, especially since it has to be sanitized after every driver, so you're getting a very clear car.

Now... Tires? Hard accelerations will wear on the tires. Are they new or are they the original tires?

If you're happy with the colors and quality of the body (fit, alignment, gaps, etc), I'd go for it, but I'd also push for a $4k to $5k discount, especially if they're not giving you new tires.
Start with 5k, then work down to 4k.

That's my $0.02.

:)

Reactions: MrTemple
I bought a test drive MS that came with a considerable discount and have never regretted it. Most test drive vehicles are solid because people are using them to judge wether or not to purchase.

I am assuming your warranty will start at the current mileage? If so and you like it, go for it! Have some fun right now, we all need it.

Reactions: RNHurt