Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chances of taking delivery this year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if there is a delay in transit can Tesla "virtually" deliver the car? I mean it's just like click "accept" on the app during the delivery appointment, in which many people don't even get to see the inside of the car, except in this case you also don't get to see the outside! :p
You'll take a huge gamble but a percentage of customer may be willing to do that.
That would be amazing!

I'm wondering if there is a delay in transit can Tesla "virtually" deliver the car? I mean it's just like click "accept" on the app during the delivery appointment, in which many people don't even get to see the inside of the car, except in this case you also don't get to see the outside! :p
You'll take a huge gamble but a percentage of customer may be willing to do that.
GAAP probably wouldn’t allow that. But Tesla can make up its own rules.

Not really. But it will depend on how Tesla decides to handle December orders that are not fulfilled until 2023.

From an accounting point of view, the money you gave them just sits in an unearned revenue category. They do not book the sale until you get the car. It does not matter when they got the money.
My wife is a financial analyst who used to deal with such things for a large telecom company. She reckons that by taking the money they are booking the sale as a 2022 transaction

Reactions: Esha628
My wife is a financial analyst who used to deal with such things for a large telecom company. She reckons that by taking the money they are booking the sale as a 2022 transaction
I’d say car sales involving titling, registration and contracts is a little different then telecom.
If Tesla still has the vehicle unregistered and untitled, they would still be in possession of it and couldn’t have it off the books as sold.

Reactions: Yelobird