TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Change color of vehicle on screen?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by wonko, May 5, 2015.

1. wonko

wonko Member

Tesla removed green as a paint option. Well, I wanted green, but got a black car, so I decided to have the entire car covered in green PVC foil, and it look great, though quite a bit brighter than the original green.

Now, the software obviously still supports green cars. How can I change the images in my screens to green instead of black. It *must* be possible somehow... .

2. Zextraterrestrial

ask service to do it for you
    not sure if they can do it over the air or not, you might need to stop by a center

3. NorCalSJ

NorCalSJ Member

I powder coated my rims. I emailed Tesla and they changed the color of my rims on the screen images in the car and my phone. Good luck.

4. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

But first you'll have to post a picture of your car :)

5. wonko

wonko Member

Thanks for the hint to send them an EMail - any specific EMail address? I never got any reply from "suggestion" EMails. The SeC said that they could not do it. Oh and of course the obligatory picture:

old_green_new_green_lo.jpg

6. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I really, really miss the green. That would be my first choice color, even today.

7. wonko

wonko Member

Yep, the old green was so beautiful and classic. The foil is nice, but not nearly 100%. I am seriously considering changing the foil. The alternative green is almost as dark as the original, but no metallic effect in it at all. I should try a fender and decide... . At least the original paint will be perfect when I sell the car one day ;-)

8. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

That is a great wrap job though. If I could find a quality job in my price range, I would do it! I've seen a couple colors I would love: green, avery brilliant blue, yellow. They looked gorgeous (on the computer screen). I will have to ask the detailer I end up with what he charges for a full wrap and decide if I want to try that out.

9. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

I got the joke, even if no one else did.

10. deonb

deonb Active Member

You're going to have to explain that one...

11. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

It's a long and complicated tale, and best not repeated. Don't worry--you didn't miss much.

12. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

in other, and maybe completely unrelated, news... I captured Breser's car in the wild ;-)
    image.jpg

13. NorCalSJ

NorCalSJ Member

The email address I sent my request was: [email protected] They responded by email and changed my avatar on the touchscreen, dash, and mobile app within 24 hours.

14. wonko

wonko Member

Thanks so much for that address. I will give it a try. In the mean time, I have ordered samples for three alternative colors. I would hate to rip the still brand-new foil off, but I am simply not that happy with it and I want the old dark green back. Oh Elon. How could you do this to me. ;-)

15. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

Somehow I missed this thread when it was posted and I was preoccupied with guests in town, a new job and wedding preparations. You definitely caught me. :cool:

16. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Busted! @breser, you could update your signature now and proudly proclaim that you have the only Green 85D ever made!

17. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

That we know of.

18. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

I feel like doing that would be rubbing it in. There are still 85D owners that haven't received their cars that were ordered before they removed the colors. So I think it's still too soon.

19. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

;-) hiding in plain sight....

in in other news, not sure I mentioned originally, though I was going through the custom color process when it all got pulled (thank you Jerome). I was after a lighter blue. I guess I was saved from myself spending 12k ish on a blue that no one would tell me was coming. The problem now... . My wife's forthcoming X will likely be in the color I wanted. Definitely all first world problems though, eh