TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Change from 110 volts to 220 volts

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by lmore, Feb 20, 2013.

1. lmore

lmore Member

I have a US Roadster that I'd like to modify so it becomes like the European Roadster in that way that it charges at 220-240 Volts when no pilot signal is present. Any idea how to modify the car to archive this (my warranty is void)?

I'm using the MC240 charger for now since it gives the pilot signal to charge at 220 Volts. The problem is that it is a bit big to carry around.

2. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

I think this is a firmware thing.

In Europe it won't charge over 13A when no pilot signal is present, so that will be your limit.

Have you actually tried to put 220V on the pins without a pilot? I don't think it can hurt since the charger is able to accept it.

It will charge (or not).

The Amps are the problem for the cable, not the volts.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Perhaps this is something that can be adjusted through the touchscreen maintenance features? Have you ever tried asking Tesla if it could be adjusted?

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

#4 dhrivnak, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    I have tried this with no success. I made an adapter to try and the car would not charge. I have not seen anything in the VDS that would allow an override.

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Get a small, portable J1772 charge station with the appropriate current rating, and wire a plug onto it.

6. lmore

lmore Member

Thanks for the advice! Yes, it is probably a firmware issue since they changed the limit from 16 amp to 13 amp in Europe recently (my first European Roadster could at least charge at 16 amp).
    I ordered a European charger from Tesla telling that I had a US car and they sent it to me, but it did not work... So why could they not just say that they could modify the firmware instead of me having to return the cable? I will ask again.

I'd like to add the pilot signal to the chargers I have (and currently cannot use) so I could choose the ampere. I see there are suggestions on how to do this on the forum, if someone that did it could sell a kit that would be great.
    What J1772 charge station do you suggest?
    I found this: Lincomatics DIY Blog | electronics, 3d printing, hacking, etc