Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla better correct it. Basic cloth is not acceptable in a $5,000 upgrade package when better materials are being specified.

What are they going to put in the standard version to justify that the PUP is upgraded, linoleum?
While I agree they need to correct this, you make it sound as if you're paying 5k just for Alcantara. You get so much more for the PUP that previous owners had to pay extra in addition to PUP.

Funny thing of note, on Tesla's log in and out pages, the background is the interior of a Model 3 with...wait for it...an alcantara interior!

Tesla SSO – Login
Tesla SSO – Logout

login-model3screen.jpg

login-model3dash.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
While I agree they need to correct this, you make it sound as if you're paying 5k just for Alcantara. You get so much more for the PUP that previous owners had to pay extra in addition to PUP.

I assume you mean the Model S PUP, but do you really get much more?
  1. Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs
  2. 12-way, power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors, with custom driver profiles
  3. Premium audio system with more power, tweeters, surround speakers and subwoofer
  4. Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
  5. Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
  6. LED fog lamps
  7. Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones
1. AFAIK it's only heated front seats, which is standard on the S. The cabin materials seem to be leatherette seats, the wood veneer over plastic and alcantara on the doors. Compared to the S that's not really impressive. A $3,300 trim in the S definitely offers more.

2. Standard on the S

3. If it's comparable to the sound package then it's not bad. Was a 2k option, but now standard.

4. Was a $1,500 option, now standard

5. Standard on the S

6. standard on the S

7. Standard on the S

So you could maybe argue that you save 1.3k over what a Model S buyer used to pay. IMO you don't. But the Model 3 is a 35k car, so I wouldn't expect the same things as standard, as on a 75k car.

Bottom line is cloth is low rent in a $50K car. We'd have to get confirmation of what BMW, Audi and Mercedes are offering in their cars that have upgraded interior but I'm pretty sure it's not cheap cloth.

Reactions: insaneoctane
1. AFAIK it's only heated front seats, which is standard on the S. The cabin materials seem to be leatherette seats, the wood veneer over plastic and alcantara on the doors. Compared to the S that's not really impressive. A $3,300 trim in the S definitely offers more.

2. Standard on the S

3. If it's comparable to the sound package then it's not bad. Was a 2k option, but now standard.

4. Was a $1,500 option, now standard

5. Standard on the S

6. standard on the S

7. Standard on the S
First of all, I was referencing when it was available to me which was late 3rd quarter 2015 before all you whippersnappers got on the bandwagon. At the time, a lot of this was options. Now a lot of it is baked into the price already but then they also raised the price of the car. So take this with a grain of salt.

1. Heated steering wheels and rear seats were $1k option. Other than piano black that is standard, the trims ran $400-900.
2. I think this was standard but I could be wrong and part of PUP
3. I believe this was a $2.5k option then.
4. Panoramic roof $1.5k option (not same as all glass and wasn't available at time)
5. Standard (but could have been part of PUP)
6. I think this was part of PUP (HID headlights)
7. Center console was somewhere between $650-1250 depending on which variation you got.

So now your $1500 pricetag becomes ~$6k

Let's not forget that cloth seats (yes cloth!) was standard back then so if you want the older leather seats it was somewhere around $1800 and the Next Generation was $2500.

Last edited:
First of all, I was referencing when it was available to me which was late 3rd quarter 2015 before all you whippersnappers got on the bandwagon. At the time, a lot of this was options. Now a lot of it is baked into the price already but then they also raised the price of the car. So take this with a grain of salt.

1. Heated steering wheels and rear seats were $1k option
2. Standard
3. I believe this was a $2.5k option then.
4. Panoramic roof $1.5k option (not same as all glass and wasn't available at time)
5. Standard
6. I think this was part of PUP (HID headlights)
7. Center console was somewhere between $650-1250 depending on which variation you got.

So now your $1500 pricetag becomes ~$6k

For me it was 2nd quarter 2015 :p My car is well equipped so memory could be wrong on what was an option, also I had German pricing, but this is how I remember it and what I think is true about the Model 3 now, also grain of salt:

1. Front seats are the only heated thing on the 3 and always were on the S. Rear seats and steering wheel are not heated on the 3.

2. We agree

3. I double checked on Google and you were right.

4. True wasn't available.

5. We agree

6. Could be. I don't think so, but I wouldn't bet on it.

7. Yep, back then the sales rep told me not having a center console was innovative. I don't have one.

So compared to a 2015 Tesla it's not super expensive. IMO it's not worth 5k, but w/o it I wouldn't buy a Model 3 and a Model 3 with the PUP is definitely worth it's price, if that makes any sense. It's like with the tech package in the early S, it wasn't really worth the price, but everybody bought it, because otherwise the Model S wouldn't be any good.

So there's no difference in texture, appearance or tactile qualities because it's "all cloth"?

Does that mean that you would have no problem paying $100 for a Nordstrom shirt that was made out of the cheapest roughspun they could find instead of 400 threadcount cotton?

It is always odd when Tesla does this "roulette wheel" switching back and forth on headliners and also the dashboard trim on the S dash. It's an option, it's standard, it's no longer available, it's back again standard, etc, etc... Not sure if there are hiccups in their supply chain or what, but is somewhat annoying especially on something as random as headliner material. Never know what you are going to get..

Reactions: marchino
So there's no difference in texture, appearance or tactile qualities because it's "all cloth"?

Does that mean that you would have no problem paying $100 for a Nordstrom shirt that was made out of the cheapest roughspun they could find instead of 400 threadcount cotton?

Differences exist everywhere. Preferences are subjective. I just saw a pair of pre-torn/faded jeans at Nordstrom (of all places) on sale for $250 and laughed, shaking my head. Alcantara has become a marketing legend with little substance and also with some particular set of maintenance requirements. I'd be glad not to have it, but that's just one vote.

1. Front seats are the only heated thing on the 3 and always were on the S. Rear seats and steering wheel are not heated on the 3.
There's debate as to whether the Model 3 has rear heated seats in the PUP package. My understanding is that the feature hasn't been turned on yet and when configuring your car it mentions rear heated seat. The only time you only remotely get close to seeing the screen that you can turn on rear heated seats is if you unbuckle your seat belts while the car is in drive. There is where you see the overhead view with the rear seats. Also when I took delivery, I asked my DS whether the seats in the back were heated. She didn't know and had to ask and came back telling me yes.

So compared to a 2015 Tesla it's not super expensive. IMO it's not worth 5k, but w/o it I wouldn't buy a Model 3 and a Model 3 with the PUP is definitely worth it's price, if that makes any sense. It's like with the tech package in the early S, it wasn't really worth the price, but everybody bought it, because otherwise the Model S wouldn't be any good.

I agree to a degree. I would probably feel like you did if I had never purchased a Tesla previously. $5k is not even worth mentioning at this point compared to options we had to choose from.

That's not the comparison at all. Just because a headliner isn't alcantera doesn't mean it's made from low quality or bargain materials. You can have premium interior materials that aren't a brand name that normal people think means something premium.

Basically, Alcantera is what normal people think is premium. Just like normal people think Nordstroms is premium or where rich people shop.

Reactions: kbecks13
Status
Not open for further replies.