Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many people were talking about their headliner before this whole thing came up? As in, how many people were like "wow this headliner material is really premium and just great" - because i didn't see ANY of that. Therefore, is this really that significant or impactful?

Honestly, I was one of those people. To me, this is a major disappointment. The interior is very minimal, and I love that, but that makes the interior material all that more important.

Seems like a reasonable assumption. Tesla released almost no details about the car themselves so they have plausible deniability, then they make about 2000 cars really nice to get into the public knowing there will be hundreds of write ups and youtube videos praising how nice they are, then change to junk materials without telling anyone. The know the truly brainwashed fans will say, "Well they never said it was alcantara."

To be honest I expect this with 0-60 times as well. Advertise 5.1, make the first batch do 4.66, then back it off without telling anyone.

Well I cannot get rid of feeling that they wanted to impress the first reviewers and press with the premium look of early production cars. Not when they actualy have to do the math and have some margins on cars they are switching to worse materials. The biggest issue is that they did not comunicate this to customers at all! And we are talking here about stuff that anyone can actually see. I can only imagine what other things has changed “under the hood”. Worse LCD? Chaper hardware components? Who knows, Tesla wont tell us. Thats the precedens for me in TM3 production that I do not like at all. To be hones It is harder and harder for me to wait that another year for this car. I am affraif that the wait will not be worth it after all:(

Anyway, I talked to a couple of people regarding the Alcantara issue. One person explained to me that they had a supplier that stopped talking to them (Tesla) after about 2,000 vehicles. So this is the material they are putting in the car now.
This kind of makes it sound like it's a temporary workaround to keep the lines going... So, is there a chance they will find another supplier and fix this? In which case the people who got workaround cars should get some kind of monetary apology. Otherwise, it's not nice to pocket the difference and make future owners pay the same $5K.

Reactions: shrspeedblade
This kind of makes it sound like it's a temporary workaround to keep the lines going... So, is there a chance they will find another supplier and fix this? In which case the people who got workaround cars should get some kind of monetary apology. Otherwise, it's not nice to pocket the difference and make future owners pay the same $5K.

The actual difference in cost is likely in the single digits, so I wouldn’t go down that route. It’s a couple square feet of fabric.

Honestly, I was one of those people. To me, this is a major disappointment. The interior is very minimal, and I love that, but that makes the interior material all that more important.

It's more common than people want to think. Last car we purchased for my wife, I was wanting her to consider a Mazda SUV, but she did not like the cheap feeling of the headliner or the carpets. Ended up with a BMW X3 instead. She was coming from a Honda Odyssey.

I see and touch the interior surfaces of my car more than the exterior. Thus the interior is considerably more important than the exterior (to me). This includes seams, visual and tactile design of the surfaces.

I went from an Audi to a Prius. Could not settle for the Prius interior finish again. Currently in BMW i3 lease until my M3 arrives. The i3 is well put together inside. Its not about the expense of the materials, but their integration, tactile feel and combination, etc.

Either way, it’s clearly changed. But it’s true they never said what material you get.

They said it was a premium material. And they're putting shitty material you can find in an econobox in it instead. That's False Advertising 101, my friend. It's a classic bait-and-switch move. Furthermore, you never answered my question posed before about the gradations between this and the adaptive headlights.

When you've seen cars with the alcantara headliner in reviews and photos, and they even show it on their website as the interior image, you expect that as the premium choice. Now they go to a cheaper product without notification to anyone? People taking delivery with this cheaper headliner could make a strong claim of false advertising.

Well I cannot get rid of feeling that they wanted to impress the first reviewers and press with the premium look of early production cars. Not when they actualy have to do the math and have some margins on cars they are switching to worse materials. The biggest issue is that they did not comunicate this to customers at all! And we are talking here about stuff that anyone can actually see. I can only imagine what other things has changed “under the hood”. Worse LCD? Chaper hardware components? Who knows, Tesla wont tell us. Thats the precedens for me in TM3 production that I do not like at all. To be hones It is harder and harder for me to wait that another year for this car. I am affraif that the wait will not be worth it after all:(

I believe a screen upgrade is scheduled for Q4 2018 at no additional cost to customers

trump_etch_a_Sketch-810x534.jpg

Think I will be putting my configuration on hold until we know what the future holds.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: Icer and zmarty
Status
Not open for further replies.