Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Inside Sales Advisor told me today that all 3’s have the same headliner. So until I see a textile one, I imagine this is what I’m getting:

View attachment 272345
Yep, that's the same 'headliner' I have seen on two cars in person (one early production and one late production) - alcantara, cloth, textile - whatever you want to call it.

Reactions: navguy12 and 03DSG
My 22xx VIN came with alcantara, suede like gray cloth. The roof is mostly glass, it's just the pillars, central cross beam, and the front beam across the windshield that has the map lights and sun visors.

IMG_6279.jpg IMG_6281.jpg IMG_6283.jpg

Not sure what is really happening here...
1. Either Telsa is using generic Alcantara, so now they are calling it cloth, but it is essentially the same? I'm ok with this.
2. They really did switch from Alcantara to cloth material, likely due to supply chain issues. This would suck IMO.

As more cars get delivered, we'll see what's really happening. Otherwise we're shooting in the dark....Tesla is very unique in that they do NOT give out very many details; they like to be ambiguous! By not communicating the material (even though it appears in all photos AND cars to date), they have the "choice" to change it without ill effects (other than pissing people off, but, hey with 500K reservations, who cares?). Same with rear-heated seats. Does the M3 have them? Maybe. Can't really nail it down, huh? While this lack of information communication might give Telsa flexibility that they enjoy, it really sucks for the consumers!

Either Telsa is using generic Alcantara, so now they are calling it cloth, but it is essentially the same?
Yeah, could be reverse-engineered in China from the original "Alcantara S.p.A." material, so they have no right to call it alcantara...
However, the guy who started the fuss must really be able to tell the difference between the two.

Last edited:
Reactions: navguy12
Well, I have photos to prove it changed. It is definitely cloth now other than the visors that are still suede material. Very strange mixture.

View attachment 272383 View attachment 272384
Well, all I can say is kind of glad it might be few months before I get my configuration invite. Hopefully by then things will have reached a steady state with the random changes no longer present.

Btw, I really would not accept the cloth headliner and alcantara visors. They need to match. Guess the visors could be swapped out later, but seems like a hassle.

Edit: Looking at the pictures further, in the second picture it even looks like the A-pillar panel is different color than headliner. Right by the speaker there is a seam between the two panels. Maybe it’s just a shadow, but don’t think so.

This Is No Big Deal - Way to Go Tesla!!! Faster Please

I think Elon should be anointed Business Man of the Decade and as a stockholder and Model 3 reservation holder, I applaud him.

In a relatively short time he has done what others have tried to do but have been unsuccessful
. With very little advertising expense he has cultivated a following of customers who are more than willing to sign contractual agreements, provide non-refundable deposits, and buy $50K+ vehicles where the specifications are primarily documented on the web (never static), subject to change at the discretion of Tesla, and can be removed electronically by Tesla.

Very few manufacturers have the skills or charisma to sell options that are incomplete or don't exist on loosely worded online marketing materials and snag $5K-10K in advanced payments. If GM had been as crafty, they could have captured development money for Cadillac SuperCruise years before it was ready for use ONLY on our highways.

Who really needs or wants heated rear seats and premium trademarked Alcantara headliners when buying a $50K+ vehicle? As many online have explained 'I Trust Tesla Will Make Things Right By Me'.

Sometimes it is far more important to get something quickly and that means substitutions must be made so no one has to wait too long for something they anxiously await.

When I sit down at a restaurant and pay $140 for Kobe beef, who cares if it is substituted for something similar as long as it tastes good.

A Smart / Educated Consumer Verifies What They Are Buying In Writing - When Ordering Kobe Beef Off The Menu You Could Be Getting This Meat Instead

Too many people get worked up about little details (specific interior materials or fit and finish problems). When it's all said and done it is only the purchase of a car and seeing the mission of Tesla fulfilled is far more important.

Let's keep our eye on the prize and hope Tesla can produce as many Model 3s as quickly as possible.

Well, I have photos to prove it changed. It is definitely cloth now other than the visors that are still suede material. Very strange mixture.

View attachment 272383 View attachment 272384
We just picked up Model 3 VIN 2942 from the Fremont delivery center today. The headliner doesn't look like alcantara, but it looks and feels pretty nice and I didn't even notice it until I found this thread. I think it looks much nicer than the headliner in my early 2013 S85. Here is a quick photo I took of the of the area just above the center of the windshield of our new Model 3. Since we are lucky enough to get an early Model 3, I'm more than happy to take more photos of specific areas of the car upon request.
IMG_7745.JPG

This Is No Big Deal - Way to Go Tesla!!! Faster Please

I think Elon should be anointed Business Man of the Decade and as a stockholder and Model 3 reservation holder, I applaud him.

In a relatively short time he has done what others have tried to do but have been unsuccessful
. With very little advertising expense he has cultivated a following of customers who are more than willing to sign contractual agreements, provide non-refundable deposits, and buy $50K+ vehicles where the specifications are primarily documented on the web (never static), subject to change at the discretion of Tesla, and can be removed electronically by Tesla.

Very few manufacturers have the skills or charisma to sell options that are incomplete or don't exist on loosely worded online marketing materials and snag $5K-10K in advanced payments. If GM had been as crafty, they could have captured development money for Cadillac SuperCruise years before it was ready for use ONLY on our highways.

Who really needs or wants heated rear seats and premium trademarked Alcantara headliners when buying a $50K+ vehicle? As many onlinehttps://i1.wp.com/quotesbae.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Very-funny-can-t-tell-if-meme-image.jpg have explained 'I Trust Tesla Will Make Things Right By Me'.

Sometimes it is far more important to get something quickly and that means substitutions must be made so no one has to wait too long for something they anxiously await.

When I sit down at a restaurant and pay $140 for Kobe beef, who cares if it is substituted for something similar as long as it tastes good.

A Smart / Educated Consumer Verifies What They Are Buying In Writing - When Ordering Kobe Beef Off The Menu You Could Be Getting This Meat Instead

Too many people get worked up about little details (specific interior materials or fit and finish problems). When it's all said and done it is only the purchase of a car and seeing the mission of Tesla fulfilled is far more important.

Let's keep our eye on the prize and hope Tesla can produce as many Model 3s as quickly as possible.
Can’t tell if serious or sarcastic....
URL]

Last edited:
Reactions: insaneoctane
We just picked up Model 3 VIN 2942 from the Fremont delivery center today. The headliner doesn't look like alcantara, but it looks and feels pretty nice and I didn't even notice it until I found this thread. I think it looks much nicer than the headliner in my early 2013 S85. Here is a quick photo I took of the of the area just above the center of the windshield of our new Model 3. Since we are lucky enough to get an early Model 3, I'm more than happy to take more photos of specific areas of the car upon request.
View attachment 272386
What are you visors covered in?

Status
Not open for further replies.