Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T 3) all reservations are refundable, really the ONLY people who could say 'bait and switch' are the ones who placed their order when alcantara was being shown & something else gets delivered.
I agree completely. Personally, I think the people who confirmed while Alcantara was the only interior shown to the public or on the web, should get some sort of compensation (even if it's something simple like some supercharging credits).

Everyone after that point can be disappointed, but should not claim "bait and switch"

Having said that, it would be nice if Tesla would remove the pictures all over their site still showing Alcantara interiors in the Model 3. Even the MyTesla log in screen still shows it prominently, which is a bit like rubbing salt in the wounds of people logging in to configure.

I
My only point was that this situation is not 'bait and switch'. Everyone has a right to their opinion on this - some don't care, some like the textile better, and some (like you) don't like it.Are you going thru with your reservation or are you canceling it?
It may be a bit of BnS if you consider that all of the Model 3 cars at the launch event had Alacantra ...
Therefore, it was reasonable to configure based on the original cars that were delivered that evening.
BTW, I have ordered 2 and configured one for delivery at the end of the month ... not an issue for me. :cool:
IMG_6937.JPG

IMG_6928.JPG

Attachments

• Tesla order summary.JPG
    Tesla order summary.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Reactions: zmarty
Not quite. But, turning people off due to what many consider "bait and switch" will impact their ability to accomplish their real mission.

Baited with promise of premium interior and features and switched with... premium interior and feautures. Keep in mind you and I haven't seen the base model's non-premium headliner. It's probably made of stitched burlap for all we know, or hard plastic.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
This misuse of 'bait & switch' is grinding on my last nerve.

Even if your reservation had been made with Tesla showing you different materials, that would not be 'bait & switch'. Bait and switch is when they show you something else to get the sale & then switch it up on you. 'Bait and switch' implies a deliberate action intended to hoodwink customers in order to get a sale (not a reservation for a spot in line, but a sale) -- and really, if Tesla wanted to do that, would it be a headliner? (Answer is 'no'.)

Since when reservations were made 1) none of us knew the interior material if reservation was made BEFORE the reveal, and, 2) none of us knew the interior material if reservation was made online AFTER the reveal, and, 3) all reservations are refundable, really the ONLY people who could say 'bait and switch' are the ones who placed their order when alcantara was being shown & something else gets delivered.

And as I've said before, I'm sure the people in that category that are upset over the change can talk to Tesla directly and find a mutually acceptable resolution. But if you're not in that category, there is no bait & switch, no matter how you twist it.

Every picture on the website shows alcantara. Literally every one. So people ordering did know the material, it is reasonable to assume that the pictures on the website that you see while ordering a product are what they intend on shipping to you. Otherwise they should just put an F40 on the website and let people think they are ordering that.

Every picture on the website shows alcantara. Literally every one. So people ordering did know the material, it is reasonable to assume that the pictures on the website that you see while ordering a product are what they intend on shipping to you. Otherwise they should just put an F40 on the website and let people think they are ordering that.
Your eyes are def better than mine. I just went in the configurator and looked at the interior. Pretty hard to tell what the interior material is from the photo. Okay, I could tell it wasn't an F40. :) But really, you can tell it's alcantara from this photo?

Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 8.03.38 PM.png

Your eyes are def better than mine. I just went in the configurator and looked at the interior. Pretty hard to tell what the interior material is from the photo. Okay, I could tell it wasn't an F40. :) But really, you can tell it's alcantara from this photo?

View attachment 274983
There are more pictures than just that one. No one is arguing that they haven’t been producing, displaying, and promoting the alcantara product, not even Tesla.

Not trying to be argumentative, but where? I only saw the interior picture on the configurator.

It's possible they've updated to remove any alcantara.
They have changed the pictures in the last couple days. Haven’t you been on Tesla’s 3 page? The first picture was from the drivers seat looking out the windshield, the headliner and pillars were very clear in that picture. Google "tesla model 3 interior" and Tesla’s marketing picture is the first 20 pictures that pop up and all show the interior. Tesla isn’t arguing that the cars were not being built with alcantara, only that they are stopping.

They have changed the pictures in the last couple days. Haven’t you been on Tesla’s 3 page? The first picture was from the drivers seat looking out the windshield, the headliner and pillars were very clear in that picture. Google "tesla model 3 interior" and Tesla’s marketing picture is the first 20 pictures that pop up and all show the interior. Tesla isn’t arguing that the cars were not being built with alcantara, only that they are stopping.
I think maybe we're talking past each other.

I've never said the first cars didn't have alcantara. One of my points above was that if you're ordering now, you are not being misled. And immediately that was followed by others claiming that the pictures on the page were misleading. And I am pointing out they updated the pictures and, so, if you are ordering now it is not misleading.

I also suggested that if you have already ordered and the alcantara really matters to you, you should contact Tesla.

Make sense?

I think maybe we're talking past each other.

I've never said the first cars didn't have alcantara. One of my points above was that if you're ordering now, you are not being misled. And immediately that was followed by others claiming that the pictures on the page were misleading. And I am pointing out they updated the pictures and, so, if you are ordering now it is not misleading.

I also suggested that if you have already ordered and the alcantara really matters to you, you should contact Tesla.

Make sense?
Not really at all. Tesla promoted the material. People made reservations based on that. People then ordered based on the product they promoted, myself included. Funds changed hands based on that. What part of the misleading makes sense to you. I understand people argue that Tesla can do not wrong but doesn’t it get tiring. It certainly doesn’t make sense. I haven’t been to a service center in a couple weeks but people are saying and posting pictures showing they still have the model S and X interior samples showing the alcantara. Tesla is saying all models use the same material now.

Last edited:
This misuse of 'bait & switch' is grinding on my last nerve.

Even if your reservation had been made with Tesla showing you different materials, that would not be 'bait & switch'. Bait and switch is when they show you something else to get the sale & then switch it up on you. 'Bait and switch' implies a deliberate action intended to hoodwink customers in order to get a sale (not a reservation for a spot in line, but a sale) -- and really, if Tesla wanted to do that, would it be a headliner? (Answer is 'no'.)

Since when reservations were made 1) none of us knew the interior material if reservation was made BEFORE the reveal, and, 2) none of us knew the interior material if reservation was made online AFTER the reveal, and, 3) all reservations are refundable, really the ONLY people who could say 'bait and switch' are the ones who placed their order when alcantara was being shown & something else gets delivered.

And as I've said before, I'm sure the people in that category that are upset over the change can talk to Tesla directly and find a mutually acceptable resolution. But if you're not in that category, there is no bait & switch, no matter how you twist it.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Every photo, test drive and review showed ultra-suede. What else would you expect? The first 2,000 cars had ultra-suede. What else would you expect? Now that the reviews are in and people think they know what to expect, *boom* the headliner and pillar material is changed. Bait is everything that lead up to creating the expectation, including the production of 2,000 cars with the material. Switch is when the ultra-suede disappeared without notice. Bait and switch. Sorry this is grinding on your last nerve. If you think that the fact that because people can choose to not buy, now that they know it's no longer ultra-suede, therefore it's not bait-and-switch...I might agree, technically. But there aren't many other phrases to describe Tesla's poor choice, so I'm ok with bait and switch, sorry.

Reactions: Brandon332
.... if you're ordering now, you are not being misled. And immediately that was followed by others claiming that the pictures on the page were misleading. And I am pointing out they updated the pictures and, so, if you are ordering now it is not misleading....

Maybe I missed something on this point. Last time I checked (admittedly a few days ago), all the photos where STILL ultra-suede. I haven't seen any effort to reach the reservationists to let them know that the information being assumed the last 2 years is now wrong.

Not really at all. Tesla promoted the material. People made reservations based on that. People then ordered based on the product they promoted, myself included. Funds changed hands based on that. What part of the misleading makes sense to you. I understand people argue that Tesla can do not wrong but doesn’t it get tiring. It certainly doesn’t make sense.

According to your signature line, you placed your reservation on 3/31. So you either ordered before the reveal or online that evening. Are you claiming you were misled at the time you placed your reservation?

If you read my post, I agreed that people who have placed an order and are upset it's not alcantara, should contact Tesla before delivery. You're trying to turn my words into blindly defending Tesla. That's unfair and dismissive.

Reactions: EinSV
According to your signature line, you placed your reservation on 3/31. So you either ordered before the reveal or online that evening. Are you claiming you were misled at the time you placed your reservation?

If you read my post, I agreed that people who have placed an order and are upset it's not alcantara, should contact Tesla before delivery. You're trying to turn my words into blindly defending Tesla. That's unfair and dismissive.
Your are being argumentative, you are putting words in my mouth. I have been led to believe for close to two years that Tesla was putting what they have said they were putting in the car. The displayed cars that they said were production cars. They now say that their plan all along was to change the material without letting anyone know until after they changed it. You are really looking quite silly defending Tesla when they admit to misleading, just not in so many words. I don’t believe they say it was intentional though.

• Disagree
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Your are being argumentative, you are putting words in my mouth. I have been led to believe for close to two years that Tesla was putting what they have said they were putting in the car. The displayed cars that they said were production cars. They now say that their plan all along was to change the material without letting anyone know until after they changed it. You are really looking quite silly defending Tesla when they admit to misleading, just not in so many words. I don’t believe they say it was intentional though.
WHAT words did I put into your mouth? I'm NOT defending them. Good god. I've said multiple times that communication should have been better. I've said multiple times that people who ordered during the time of the switch should talk to Tesla. I merely started by saying that 'bait and switch' was being used improperly. Stop with the drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.