Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla didn't say "Alcantara", so it can't be sued for Alcantara. You can try suing them for ultra-suede.
But from what I understand, they worked out some deals with those unhappy, who already placed $2.5K deposit before the switch. The rest of us just get to feel upset and have an option to get $1k back. Unfortunately, we haven't paid yet for the "Alcantara" to be able to sue.

NO THEY DIDN'T.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Exactly the point!!!!!! This is the second Tesla for me and I feel they took advantage of my trust and resorted to bait and switch tactics.
Vladi, I’m truly sorry you didn’t get the car you expected. I can tell you’re very disappointed. Hopefully you’ll wind up being able to enjoy the other aspects of the car, but I’m sure it’ll take time to get the bad taste out of your mouth.

Reactions: Brandon332
I finally got to see a Model 3 in person at the San Diego store. The textile is exactly the same that is in my 2017 Ford Explorer Sport. I think it looks great. Of course, I understand why those expecting something else may be disappointed. And of course the way Tesla handled it definitely was less than impressive. But the car looks simply amazing and I can't wait to get mine.

• Informative
Yesterday (Feb 5th), I took my brother in law to the Tesla Kierland gallery (Scottsdale, AZ) to check out the Model 3 on display. While there, I looked at the design wall that shows the color choices and such. It has three pieces of interior fabric for visitors to touch, next to color choices for the car. Two of the pieces are still alcantara. So, still giving the impression to visitors that the cars can be ordered with alcantara.

• Informative
Yesterday (Feb 5th), I took my brother in law to the Tesla Kierland gallery (Scottsdale, AZ) to check out the Model 3 on display. While there, I looked at the design wall that shows the color choices and such. It has three pieces of interior fabric for visitors to touch, next to color choices for the car. Two of the pieces are still alcantara. So, still giving the impression to visitors that the cars can be ordered with alcantara.
The wall display is for S/X

Just because something is on the wall doesn't mean you can order it

The problem is on the configurator you don't know what you are getting because it isn't clear. Then you go down and look at the stuff on the wall and assume that is what you are getting because the other fabric isn't even on display. It would be one thing if they had a number on the item on the wall and then you went to the configurator to place your order and that number wasn't there so you knew you were getting something different.

upload_2018-2-6_9-18-49.png

Spec does not say Alcantara

But if you believed those were the options for the Model 3, and you didn't see a way to order a certain option ... wouldn't you ask before placing your order? (There are a lot of things on that wall that you cannot order for Model 3.)

When we were looking at the Model 3, and before we walked over to the Design wall, I was fanboy telling my BIL about the Model 3. An older gentleman started asking me questions about the headrest in the car (Is it adjustable?). I explained to him that I wasn't an employee, just a huge fan. I had the impression that he didn't spend much time reading online. Why would he do anything other than assume that the alcantara being displayed as one of the interior fabrics on the Design wall is one of his choices? It's currently not available on any vehicle, but the show room still displays this as an option. I am having trouble seeing any valid excuse for that.

When we were looking at the Model 3, and before we walked over to the Design wall, I was fanboy telling my BIL about the Model 3. An older gentleman started asking me questions about the headrest in the car (Is it adjustable?). I explained to him that I wasn't an employee, just a huge fan. I had the impression that he didn't spend much time reading online. Why would he do anything other than assume that the alcantara being displayed as one of the interior fabrics on the Design wall is one of his choices? It's currently not available on any vehicle, but the show room still displays this as an option. I am having trouble seeing any valid excuse for that.

I think you're missing my point. If he thought he could choose the headliner because two materials are displayed, and then couldn't when configuring, he'd ask someone before placing his order. I would. Wouldn't you?

Reactions: kengchang and EinSV
I think you're missing my point. If he thought he could choose the headliner because two materials are displayed, and then couldn't when configuring, he'd ask someone before placing his order. I would. Wouldn't you?

That's true. But my point is, why even make that a situation? Imagine you are trying to configure a car and you want to select that alcantara material you saw on the design wall, but you can't find the option. So you call Tesla and they explain that it's not an option and is no longer offered. What are you going to say next? Probably, "then why is it shown as an option in your show room?" It's just sloppy, in my opinion, unless Tesla is planning to offer it again very soon.

That's true. But my point is, why even make that a situation? Imagine you are trying to configure a car and you want to select that alcantara material you saw on the design wall, but you can't find the option. So you call Tesla and they explain that it's not an option and is no longer offered. What are you going to say next? Probably, "then why is it shown as an option in your show room?" It's just sloppy, in my opinion, unless Tesla is planning to offer it again very soon.
Sloppy is different than misleading.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Sloppy is different than misleading.

I don't recall using the word 'misleading' in my posts. :)

I'm still a huge fan of Tesla... to the point that I annoy my family and friends. It's completely preventable situations like this that make me cringe. They're doing a fantastic job with the big mission, but making themselves look bad over the 'little' things.

• Helpful
Status
Not open for further replies.