Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Either way, it’s clearly changed. But it’s true they never said what material you get.
I don't care if they call it nothing, alcantara, textile, or Jesus Grey. To be honest I didn't even know what alcantara meant until this. All I care about is the pictures, test drives, design studio etc which *still* show "soft-suede grey" and the reality which is cheap Nissan Sentra fabric. Not cool, but ah first world problems. Legally I'm sure it's fine, but it makes me feel like the meme below, which is not how Tesla should want its people feeling
capture.jpg

Looks very similar to the material in my 2014 Model S. Here is the B pillar.

View attachment 272388
I took some photos of the headliner material in both our early 2013 Model S and the new Model 3 for comparison. The material actually looks surprisingly similar in photos. But the material in the Model 3 is MUCH more smooth to the touch. I also remember thinking the Model S headliner looked kind of cheap while the Model 3 material looked fine. Of course, that could be in part because I don't have a sun roof in the model S and so there are acres of headliner. The color difference might also help make the Model 3 headliner look better (at least to me). The order is Model 3 closeup, Model S closeup, Model 3, Model S.
IMG_7752.JPG
IMG_7755.JPG
IMG_7758.JPG
IMG_7756.JPG

I like how the Alcantara looks compared to the premium textile, but at the same time, I have dogs, and will sooner or later hopefully have kids, so if the premium textile is easier to maintain, that's fine too. What really puts me off is mixing the two.
They're probably only mixing the two until their stock of alcantara visors runs out, after which the new supply of textile visors will be installed and all will match.

How many people were talking about their headliner before this whole thing came up? As in, how many people were like "wow this headliner material is really premium and just great" - because i didn't see ANY of that. Therefore, is this really that significant or impactful?

I honestly could not care either way as i'm sure (and others have posted pics) the new fabric is still a premium material and i trust Tesla not to put something crappy in the premium upgrade for a $50K car.

However, I totally agree that Tesla needs to be more transparent with how they implement these changes, especially with how the ordering/configuring process works and the lag between sending large amounts of money and receiving a car.

• Helpful
Reactions: DR61
Status
Not open for further replies.