TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by 03DSG, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragonxt

dragonxt Active Member

Quite a shame, I was specifically glad about the alcantara on the headliner and door inserts. Felt that that was one place Tesla went a little further than they had to from a luxury perspective.

• Like x 3
  2. CuriousG

CuriousG Active Member

Well I've had my S for over 2yrs now. I was picking it up from service. But better late than never, right? Anyway, I talked to a couple of people regarding the Alcantara issue. One person explained to me that they had a supplier that stopped talking to them (Tesla) after about 2,000 vehicles. So this is the material they are putting in the car now.

I have confirmed through another person there that I do have the Alcantara and when I pressed him to show me a 3 with the new interior, he walked me up to the car that was Supercharging and showed me through the window. When I peered through the rear window you can clearly see some type of weave pattern in the material. Was hoping I was able to take a picture from inside the car but didn't find a 3 with an owner nearby. I guess Tesla has strict policy against letting other people in other people's car.

This car had VIN 3xxx. I guess now I should feel lucky that I got a lower VIN.

• Informative x 4
  3. siucity

siucity Button Pusher

That's a really good policy to have!

• Like x 1
  4. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Saying alcantara here is a proprietary eponym like calling facial tissues, Kleenex or bandages, Band-aids for example. Yes, even though “alcantara” is specific trademarked brand name, it has become synonymous with the suede type material used in automotive interiors.

• Like x 1
  5. Moderatefan

Moderatefan Member

I could still trick blind guests... they could feel alcantara and acceleration. And would not care to see the burlap.

6. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

This is hardly “premium materials throughout”
    How bad is the standard going to look? Will it just be raw plastic or painted metal?

• Like x 1
  7. pdxgibby

pdxgibby Software Engineer

8. wraithnot

wraithnot Model 3 VIN #2942 Model S VIN #5785

This turned out to more interesting than I expected. The visors are mostly covered in the same woven cloth material as the headliner and B pillar. But the little flap that covers the vanity mirror looks like the alcantara.

To put all of this in the proper perspective, the people I've showed the car to so far have all said "om my god, look at that glass roof!" No one has commented on the headliner material.

IMG_7765.JPG IMG_7766.JPG IMG_7768.JPG

• Informative x 10
    • Like x 2
  9. carbonx

carbonx Member

Hoping this looks a lot better in person, during the day... Does it? The photos make it look very noticeable especially the mix materials

• Like x 1
  10. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I want the Alcantara... This is disappointing.

• Like x 4
  11. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Thanks. I suppose vanity mirror cover will change as well to match, but not sure. The fabric might be too stiff and not fold as well like the alcantara one. Guess we will see how this all plays out...

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. pdxgibby

pdxgibby Software Engineer

I sure hope this doesn't apply to future Model S or Model X builds.

• Like x 1
  13. jayhawk3

jayhawk3 Member

Oh, you mean an upgrade like PUP?

14. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

Are people paying for Alcantara? Only Tesla knows.

15. jayhawk3

jayhawk3 Member

To get a bunch of good press reviews for free and to make sure they took care of their own employees with a nice car. They don't care about anyone else.

• Disagree x 3
  16. Brandon332

Brandon332 Member

Of all the scenarios, this absolutely seems like the most likely. But what the heck Tesla, how much spare inventory of parts do you keep in stock, like 5 cars worth??? Smh haha they only had 2000 of them after all these months.

17. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

My thoughts exactly. PUP is supposed to be an upgrade with premium materials

18. jayhawk3

jayhawk3 Member

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  19. jjwardSD

jjwardSD Member

What the heck. The one I saw had full alcantara visors, yours is one step closer to all textile.

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  20. Colasec

Colasec Member

@wraithnot - Thanks for the comparison pictures. Are the colors different? The 3 looks more gray and the S looks more yellow/tan. Is that right?

My 2013 S has the same tan cloth. It is difficult to clean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.