Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have photos to prove it changed. It is definitely cloth now other than the visors that are still suede material. Very strange mixture.

Interesting...

Definitely cloth headliner. That looks like the same cloth material that we had in our 2013 Model S. The open pore rough texture of the cloth headliner was a pain to clean compared to the Alcantara in my 2012 Model S.

6 pages and counting in a half a day about this. Go figure.

The textile headliner (all 10 pieces including the A, B, and C pillars) was unacceptable from week 1 in my first S and did get replaced with alcantera.

How unacceptable? It separated from the moulding almost immediately, and beyond that was generally noticeably inferior for anything but an economy class vehicle. Had there been a demo in the showroom with the textile, I would never have ordered it. Hard to tell from the little pieces in the gallery.

This new cloth stuff in the 3s doesn't look *as* bad, but one does wonder what the *non-* PUP material will be in the SR 3s. I suspect it will be exactly the same.

Positive spin is that it's another differentiator tweenst the 3 and the S.

When the time comes, it will be interesting to compare a loaded 3 (AWD, P, PUP, LR, 19"s) with an S75D. Both at purchase time and for resale value.

Can’t tell if serious or sarcastic....
URL]

I think it is very important to let Tesla clearly know what we want and will accept as customers.

Tesla as a company is one of the few companies prescient to understand the needs, wants, and tastes of a youthful new consumer.

Semi-aniline Leather = OUT ------ Vegan 'Leather' @ Semi-aniline Pricing = IN

Flexitarian Is the 'New' Vegan - Tesla Owner?

Minimal Panel Gaps = NO BIG DEAL ------ Panel Gap Fluidity = ACCEPTABLE
Completed Car @ Delivery = NO BIG DEAL ------ Options Enabled -TBD = ACCEPTABLE

Interior Headliner Details

Looks like some got the Founders Edition Alcantara Headliner or maybe you get a alcantara headliner if you have purchased a Tesla in the past. Someone better tweet Elon to get the 411,

Last edited:
We just picked up Model 3 VIN 2942 from the Fremont delivery center today. The headliner doesn't look like alcantara, but it looks and feels pretty nice and I didn't even notice it until I found this thread. I think it looks much nicer than the headliner in my early 2013 S85. Here is a quick photo I took of the of the area just above the center of the windshield of our new Model 3. Since we are lucky enough to get an early Model 3, I'm more than happy to take more photos of specific areas of the car upon request.
View attachment 272386

Confirmed that this is different headliner from the one in the car I picked up from Fremont delivery center yesterday.

I'm pretty convinced that this is a mistake.

Occam's razor says that someone in the factory goofed and loaded a bunch of cloth headliners (intended for non-PUP cars which we were supposed to be building by now, and so there's probably a pile of them lying around the factory) into the line by accident.

There's no reason to believe that Tesla would be making such a significant design change this early, and if they were doing it to cut costs, they'd be cutting the alcantara off the sun visors too.

For what its worth, the cloth headliner looks like the same stuff that's in my 2014 S.

I think the problem has less to do with Alcantara and more to do with the fact that people who paid the same $ are getting different standards of interior materials.

However, people, especially enthusiasts and early adopters, do pay attention to these details. Having Alcantara trim and cloth headliner might be appropriate for a 25k Honda Civic Si, but not IMO for a 50k Tesla Model 3.

I'm pretty convinced that this is a mistake.

Occam's razor says that someone in the factory goofed and loaded a bunch of cloth headliners (intended for non-PUP cars which we were supposed to be building by now, and so there's probably a pile of them lying around the factory) into the line by accident.

There's no reason to believe that Tesla would be making such a significant design change this early, and if they were doing it to cut costs, they'd be cutting the alcantara off the sun visors too.

For what its worth, the cloth headliner looks like the same stuff that's in my 2014 S.
If their QC couldn't catch a goofed headliner what could they even catch?

Status
Not open for further replies.