Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity, not sure that the headliner will be that big of a deal for me on this car, but what does it show on your Model 3 Vehicle Configuration sheet? Here's what was on our early 2017 Model S.

View attachment 272554

Nope.

upload_2018-1-11_12-47-21.png

Damn, the guy that started this reddit thread 2 months ago is Nostradamus: The next thing that will "blindside" Elon...the cost of being late • r/teslamotors

tl;dr version - reddit guy above called out exactly what probably happened to Tesla with the alcantara switcheroo: supplier got pissed Tesla couldn't ramp on time, so they pulled the plug. Thus, the alcantara shortage and switch to "premium textile".

Hey remember when GM promised that the ELR would have updatable CUE to bring in new features over time and printed that up in literature and on their website and then swept it under the rug when it never materialized and even had to buy a customer car back because of it? Me too!

Hey remember when GM promised that the ELR would have updatable CUE to bring in new features over time and printed that up in literature and on their website and then swept it under the rug when it never materialized and even had to buy a customer car back because of it? Me too!

Well, the ELR turned out to be a horrible failure and was cancelled prematurely. Are you saying the same will happen to the Model 3?

I probably don't care much about the material as much as the color. One thing I didn't like about the alcantara is the fact that if somebody grabs it, it changes color, like most suede like things do.

I do think I like the grey of the alcantara vs the tan? of this new material.

After this thread, basically for the first time ever, I actually noticed my headliner, and it's the exact same thing as this new Model 3 headliner.

Reactions: bonnie
After this thread, basically for the first time ever, I actually noticed my headliner, and it's the exact same thing as this new Model 3 headliner.

My Volts had a fabric headliner like the Model 3 replacement and it felt quite nice to me. I’d prefer Alcantara but the fabric is much nicer than the mouse fur/sandpaper business in my Leaf.

Of course the fabric glue in the Volts was crap and the material peeled away from the backing around the edges because GM.

I probably don't care much about the material as much as the color. One thing I didn't like about the alcantara is the fact that if somebody grabs it, it changes color, like most suede like things do.

I do think I like the grey of the alcantara vs the tan? of this new material.

The pictures I've seen are also grey. The tan is from the Model S.

Reactions: tracksyde
Here's a Monroney sticker someone had posted from a Model 3. Headliner or its fabric not mentioned at all.

Monroney sticker - 1.jpg

Given how none of the Tesla car models now have alcantara, could have been a material switch in the works sometime ago, as they recently stated, to simplify the production process. We ordered our S end of December 2017 and were among that group that got offered as part of our PUP package, in addition to the premium leather seat option we paid for, the ventilated leather seats that had only previously been in the Model X I believe. Figure they were clearing out stock so offered it to potential S owners to help use up the excess inventory of it. Likely same happened with the Alcantara fabric and some Model 3 owners got their cars manufacturered with it, but since it wasn't an option on the configurator or an extra charge wasn't listed as a feature either way and subject to their substitution changes.

Last edited:
Given how none of the Tesla car models now have alcantara, could have been a material switch in the works sometime ago to simplify the production process.

Super, no worries, but put what a customer can expect on the dang website, particularly if many will see the running change as a downgrade for the same money.

Overnight they could have added “fabric headliner, late availability” like other automakers do and this thread would have died after three posts.

Here is my point of view, at this time, with the limited information available:

The pictures of Model 3 showed alcantara headliner in the PUP. Therefore, it was an expectation for many buyers that it was included as part of the premium package.

Tesla did not announce a change.

It seems like a supplier dropped Tesla and they can no longer get alcantara.

Tesla starts shipping cars with textile headliner without any announcement or communication.

Customers start asking Tesla questions and Tesla's response was that this switch was planned all along.

That feels like BS. If I were buying a car and had the expectation that alcantara is included in the PUP that I paid for, I would not be ok with a switch to textile. That's not what was paid for.

I understand why people are upset. The, "don't worry, Tesla will make it right!" answer is getting old. It was great when they were hand building the roadster and then when they were making small quantities of the S and then the X. Now they're trying to mass produce a car.

Last edited:
I've always thought alcantara was overrated. It's basically a synthetic cloth engineered to sort of resemble suede. It is NOT easier to clean than most other materials; especially in lighter colors it's harder to clean.

I put this on electec also, but coincidentally I've noticed that the alcantara inserts on the door handle of my Tesla S loaner are already considerably smudged. This is on a car with less than 1000 miles on the odometer. Although the material looks fairly smooth in the photo, it's actually got a nap to it; I'm pretty sure it's alcantara.
20180111_153743.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.