Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the issue has been magnified due to how many people have pre-ordered this car. You have people weighing in that aren't current owners.

I'm weighing in as:
  • someone who discovered Tesla in 2006;
  • as someone who owns a Signature 100 Roadster;
  • as someone who also has a reservation on the second gen Roadster;
  • as someone who has been waiting for the Model 3 since it was just a code word -- Bluestar.
I'd put my Tesla bona fides up against anyone's. (Maybe @bonnie excepted -- but I think even she is going to have to admit that anyone who paid the $3,500 for a Model 3 who is unhappy with this is entitled to their money back if they want to walk away from the car due to this material change -- and that Tesla cannot keep the non-refundable $2,500 portion they could normally if someone tried to back out.)

I still remember when Tesla raised the cost of the Roadster from $90,000 to $109,000 in 2007, and decided to sell the charger extra, and did a bunch of things back then that are not all that dissimilar from this current situation. But back then, they deserved the slack. It was understandable. This #alcantaragate business in 2018 is not acceptable.

You know what I did, despite my 10+ year love for Tesla in the wake of #Alcantaragate? I've started cross-shopping the Model 3 with another car. This is going to come out about the same time as the AWD 3, and will start at about the same price as the AWD performance 3. I never even thought I'd go out of my way to test drive this thing. And now I'm actually considering it:

Jag iPace.jpg

I'm weighing in as:
  • as someone who has been waiting for the Model 3 since it was just a code word -- Bluestar.
I'd put my Tesla bona fides up against anyone's. (Maybe @bonnie excepted -- but I think even she is going to have to admit that anyone who paid the $3,500 for a Model 3 who is unhappy with this is entitled to their money back if they want to walk away from the car due to this material change -- and that Tesla cannot keep the non-refundable $2,500 portion they could normally if someone tried to back out.)

I still remember when Tesla raised the cost of the Roadster from $90,000 to $109,000 in 2007, and decided to sell the charger extra, and did a bunch of things back then that are not all that dissimilar from this current situation. But back then, they deserved the slack. It was understandable. This #alcantaragate business in 2018 is not acceptable.

You know what I did, despite my 10+ year love for Tesla in the wake of #Alcantaragate? I've started cross-shopping the Model 3 with another car. This is going to come out about the same time as the AWD 3, and will start at about the same price as the AWD performance 3. I never even thought I'd go out of my way to test drive this thing. And now I'm actually considering it:

View attachment 272870
I don't have to *admit* it, since that sounds like you need to force me to have a different opinion. :) I absolutely agree. As you knew I would.

Tesla is not going to force someone to take a car that they don't want because of a change. They didn't with the S or the X. Same with test drives. I had someone on twitter railing because they couldn't test drive the car before ordering. Well, yes, they can test drive the car. They just need to wait til cars are available for test drive. Tesla won't force them to buy if that's a requirement.

Competition is good for Tesla. You have a perfect right to cross shop - though I suspect you'll still get the Model 3 once you get to a decision point. :)

I think the whole $3,500 becomes non-refundable once you place an order. (As you have applied your refundable $1,000 reservation towards the non-refundable $3,500 deposit that is required to place an order.)

Not according to my MVPA:

Order; Nonrefundable Order Payment; Changes. Once you submit your completed order, we will locate a vehicle to match your Vehicle Configuration and coordinate the shipment of the Vehicle for delivery. Your Order Payment covers the cost of these activities and other processing costs and is nonrefundable; it is not a deposit for the Vehicle. Any changes to your Vehicle Configuration, delivery location or expected delivery time after the Order Date will be difficult, if not impossible, for us to accommodate. If you want to make changes to your order, we will try to accommodate your request. If we accept your request, you will be subject to a non-refundable $500 change fee and potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date. Any changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuration, including changes to the delivery location or estimated delivery date, will be reflected in a subsequent Vehicle Configuration that will form part of this Agreement.

The "reservation payment" is explicitly separated from the "order payment" on the first page as well.

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
That's your prerogative but the cars aren't even in the same class or price range. Why not wait for the Porsche Mission E or <insert make model here>? Deep down you're still going back to the Tesla since you already have a reservation for the new Roadster.

Reactions: T34ME
I'm weighing in as:

View attachment 272870
@stevejust, you're just the type of loyal and devoted long-time customer that Tesla is just being *stupid* by turning off. Tesla should swallow their pride. Tesla, if your listening, get your buyers off their asses (which are sitting in their personally owned, Alcantara-lined early Model 3's), and secure the quantity of Ultrasuede or Alcantara you knew you needed to begin with, quit playing dumb and fix this already!

I have a better suggestion.

Tesla: retract the PR spin on this, tell us honestly what happened and re-package/market the products accordingly. That alone will win you many hearts that are now wavering. Maybe you can't get the fabric back, but you can get (most of) the hearts back.

It is time to end the eternal spin. AP2 was already one bridge too far, this is just totally unnecessary.

It is the right thing to do.

You know, I was sympathetic for a while, but seeing some of the hysterics here is making me care a lot less about this.

It goes both ways. Others are being turned off by dismissing reactions. Normal day on the Internet. In life.

In a recent thread I realized just how much the reactions of others really do drive us, beyond what is our actual own goal/opinion. What we intially think or (try to) say on a topic might be unrecognizable after a lenghty exchange with others.

This is going to come out about the same time as the AWD 3, and will start at about the same price as the AWD performance 3. I never even thought I'd go out of my way to test drive this thing. And now I'm actually considering it:

What about the lack of a supercharger network? Does that not concern you? What good is a car you can't take anywhere on a trip without having to rely on public chargers? Been there and done that before the superchargers arrived up here and there's never any going back for me, and certainly not over this issue.

That doesn't excuse Tesla, and I understand people's concerns -- and even the hysterical ones -- they still seem valid to me. But until some other car manufacturer gets off their arse and has a comparable fast charging network to Tesla, I won't be cutting off my nose to spite my face. Not over this issue, anyway.

Even inside the door handle area? Do you have any pictures of the door panels?
No door panels... but opening and closing felt solid and tight and made a thud on closure. :)
(Edit add.. re read your ?... the door handle area seemed very solid.)
(Edit 2.. just read this on RedditTesla.."Model 3 at Century City Showroom • r/teslamotors
"I was there and the headliners are cloth. I will say I was worried about the switch, but this is cloth was very nice. Not the kind you find in a cheap car. For comparison, it was softer to the touch and nicer than my Jetta textile liner. The door panels still had alcantara."

Last edited:
No. In my experience, one of two things happen:

1) You will get a building allowance for fixtures and builder allows you to pick whatever you want, and if it goes over the building allowance, you pay the amount over the building allowance.

2) The home is depicted as it will be built, with allowances for substitutions of "like materials."

Usually, it winds up being a hybrid of the two things. But when you have a building contract that calls for "Hansgrohe or similar" and you install a $30 faucet in place of a $300 faucet, things get messy.

That's what Tesla is doing here.
Maybe that's the way it works in Texas, but not in California. The model homes here are tricked out with all kinds of options and upgrades and you have to ask if something is included. The one exception is Lennar Homes with their E.I. (Everything Included) promotion. You get what is shown in the model............and the price reflects that. :eek:

I currently live in a former model home. The "upgrades" in the home would have added an additional 75% to the cost of the home. I was able to purchase it at a significant discount at build out.

Whether it is homes or cars, specifications and materials can and do change without prior notice and there is case law to support that.

Maybe that's the way it works in Texas, but not in California. The model homes here are tricked out with all kinds of options and upgrades and you have to ask if something is included. The one exception is Lennar Homes with their E.I. (Everything Included) promotion. You get what is shown in the model............and the price reflects that. :eek:

I currently live in a former model home. The "upgrades" in the home would have added an additional 75% to the cost of the home. I was able to purchase it at a significant discount at build out.

Whether it is homes or cars, specifications and materials can and do change without prior notice and there is case law to support that.

When you are building a new home, everything is spelled out in the build contract. Every option. Every upgrade. The associated price for each extra is put in the contract. You should not be surprised by anything when the home is completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.