Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Door cards are one of the places I prefer not to have it (unless maybe it's black?). Anywhere you have to touch on a daily basis I think is a bad idea except for black textile fabric or leather.
I can't imagine why this area would get touched at all. It's no where near the door release button, and not ideally placed as a spot to push the door open.

I touched it once...on the day we picked up the car... on purpose. I've not touched it since. This is not the reason to avoid having it on the door.

Reactions: BioSehnsucht
I can't imagine why this area would get touched at all. It's no where near the door release button, and not ideally placed as a spot to push the door open.

I touched it once...on the day we picked up the car... on purpose. I've not touched it since. This is not the reason to avoid having it on the door.

I don't think I touched it all that often, but in the dark when getting out of the car, I'm sure I do. You just don't realize it.

For my wife, on the passenger side, it was especially bad. She puts lotions on her hand all the time, and when she reached to grab the handle, she was always inevitably touching the alcantara areas right around the handle which caused a lot of discoloring (darkening of the alcanatara).

I don't think I touched it all that often, but in the dark when getting out of the car, I'm sure I do. You just don't realize it.

For my wife, on the passenger side, it was especially bad. She puts lotions on her hand all the time, and when she reached to grab the handle, she was always inevitably touching the alcantara areas right around the handle which caused a lot of discoloring (darkening of the alcanatara).

From what some people have been saying, that should be easy to clean off, in theory. But maybe it isn't... my wife has stained even the plastic parts around the door handle in my Mazda 3 and while I haven't gone as far as to take them off the car and throw them in the dishwasher, it's definitely not something that simply wipes off.

I'm not sure if the alcantara would be easier to clean, but I'm pretty sure it won't be harder to clean... since even should be resilient plastic is super difficult. It might be just as equally "impossible".

From what some people have been saying, that should be easy to clean off, in theory. But maybe it isn't... my wife has stained even the plastic parts around the door handle in my Mazda 3 and while I haven't gone as far as to take them off the car and throw them in the dishwasher, it's definitely not something that simply wipes off.

I'm not sure if the alcantara would be easier to clean, but I'm pretty sure it won't be harder to clean... since even should be resilient plastic is super difficult. It might be just as equally "impossible".

Yeah, that's definitely possible. I can see 'textile' being just as hard to clean. In my MS, like I said, the door cards have the leatherette material while the headliner and accents on dash are alcantara. My wife is constantly staining the door areas but thankfully it's leatherette and although it takes some time to take off these lotions (they're more resilient than you would think), since it's a smooth surface, it still comes off without too much trouble.

I think textile or alcantara would be really annoying and hard to clean. I might have to do some extra protection coating on these materials if it comes with textile or alcantara.

One thing on the MS is that this material also covers the area where your elbow naturally rests. So I see a slight wearing down even with this leatherette material where my elbow tends to always rest. I can see this being a huge pain to clean if it was any other material and a lighter color. I've taught myself to stop resting my arm there now since I worry about further wear.

How do your current headliners look?
Aside from my M3 headliners that haven't been made yet, I believe the other headliners are generally ok, although my wife likes apples :) and when I inspected headliners for the purpose of finding out of what they are made of after the revelations I found in this thread, I noticed her headliner had some dark dots on it likely from the apple juice sprinkling around. But aside from the headliner I'm sure she has every right to claim that the amount of mess I create greatly exceeds hers :p
The headliners are made of textile and I am not qualified to say how premium it is.

Last edited:
Both of our current Tesla alcantara headliners look like new and are very luxurious. I canceled our first model 3 delivery that was due in less than 2 weeks but kept the second and will eventually configure that one without PUP because they couldn’t deliver as shown in the production samples. The headliner was one of the few premium finishes in the interior along with the plastic leather.

Reactions: Brandon332
Both of our current Tesla alcantara headliners look like new and are very luxurious. I canceled our first model 3 delivery that was due in less than 2 weeks but kept the second and will eventually configure that one without PUP because they couldn’t deliver as shown in the production samples. The headliner was one of the few premium finishes in the interior along with the plastic leather.
Are you saying that you canceled due to the removal of Alcantara? If so did you tell tesla that?

Are you saying that you canceled due to the removal of Alcantara? If so did you tell tesla that?

Based on what he said "because they couldn't deliver as shown in the production samples" I assume he did, and probably one of the few ways to back out without losing out on the $2500.

What's interesting is I thought some have stated that you can't even get alcantara headliner for the Model X and S anymore, but if you build a custom order right now, the 'black premium' and 'white premium' show this material (non-textile) for the headliner.

I would say based on this, claiming that the 'premium' for Model 3 matches the premium in Model S/X seems wrong. Am I missing something here?

I would say based on this, claiming that the 'premium' for Model 3 matches the premium in Model S/X seems wrong. Am I missing something here?

While I agree with your interpretation, Tesla plays games with their verbiage and meaning....
... all Model 3 vehicles are being made with the same premium textile headliner found in our flagship Model S and Model X vehicles....
They would argue that the use of the word "premium" here describes the material, not the the option.

As I type this it does have me thinking though..... If Alcantara is still really available on MS/MX and is described as premium over the textile offering now found in the Model 3, how can you claim that replacing it within the PUP, which has premium materials throughout, with textile is an equal substitution? Are they calling both headliners premium on the MS/MX?

.... We made this transition in S/X some time ago, and have been referring to this material as a Premium Headliner in those vehicles.The current material is also a premium headliner, but with a different texture, where durability has remain unchanged, and this is our product that we stand behind.

Yes, they were very nice about the cancellation and from what I understand it was far from the only cancellation due to the downgrade. Right now there are so many people desperate to get into a Tesla at the lower price point the downgrade or even the way they handled the downgrade isn’t enough to sway buyers excitement. At this point cancelations will not change Teslas bottom line so content reductions don’t mean anything to deliveries. As a side note I still have my second reservation that also can be configured now and paid another reservation fee for a third model 3.

Last edited:
While I agree with your interpretation, Tesla plays games with their verbiage and meaning....

They would argue that the use of the word "premium" here describes the material, not the the option.

As I type this it does have me thinking though..... If Alcantara is still really available on MS/MX and is described as premium over the textile offering now found in the Model 3, how can you claim that replacing it within the PUP, which has premium materials throughout, with textile is an equal substitution? Are they calling both headliners premium on the MS/MX?

Haha, good point. Nothing we should be surprised with eh?

So if you do a custom build of an S/X, you will see that the standard option is the black textile (seats and headliner). But any other interior package is labelled 'premium', whether it's lighter color or black colored headliner and in all those cases, the premium package shows alcantara type headliner.

So based on this, to change the model 3 headliner, when it's a premium option, to textile seems like a shady thing to do in my opinion.

Reactions: Sunshine State
tesla interior options.PNG
Haha, good point. Nothing we should be surprised with eh?

So if you do a custom build of an S/X, you will see that the standard option is the black textile (seats and headliner). But any other interior package is labelled 'premium', whether it's lighter color or black colored headliner and in all those cases, the premium package shows alcantara type headliner.

So based on this, to change the model 3 headliner, when it's a premium option, to textile seems like a shady thing to do in my opinion.

Here are the options, as you can see, all premium options are $3300 more and with that option, it gets rid of the textile headliner and replaces it with alcantara (I guess that is a bit of an assumption on my part but if you look at the top box in each option, it doesn't look like the fabric textile that the standard textile interior comes with. it definitely looks like the alcantara material in all the premium options)

Reactions: Garlan Garner
View attachment 274379

Here are the options, as you can see, all premium options are $3300 more and with that option, it gets rid of the textile headliner and replaces it with alcantara (I guess that is a bit of an assumption on my part but if you look at the top box in each option, it doesn't look like the fabric textile that the standard textile interior comes with. it definitely looks like the alcantara material in all the premium options)
You are correct, Tesla says all S X and 3’s going forward are with cloth headliners. I guess there is a shortage of tech savvy employees or companies in California that could update their website information. I guess it’s easier to line up a different supplier and make a different headliner than change a few lines of code.

I'm hoping they have a better resolution for this issue by the time the AWD / White interior comes around. I'm currently holding my place in line for those options and will make my decision based on what headliner choices I have at that time.

I have a friend who recently upgraded his 2013 S to a new one and the combination of the white leather with the black alcantara headliner is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.