Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change in ability to operate windows when 2017 X is in Park and not “on”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

A month or two ago I noticed that, when my 2017 X was not being driven, unless I was sitting in the drivers seat and had pressed the brake pedal the window controls did not work.

In other words, if I walked up to the car with my fob on me, opened the door and tried to raise/lower a window the window would not move (in that scenario the drivers display shows ”Car Off”). I have to sit down, press the brake, the “Car Off” message is replaced by the PRND display, and then the window controls work.

Also, if I have sat down, pressed the brake, lowered a window, get out of the car without closing the door and then try to raise the window the window won’t go up; the window controls don’t work. In that scenario the car almost immediately goes into the “Car Off” state after getting out of the drivers seat and the windows don’t work.

I’ve owned the car for 5 years. My wife and I are sure that in the past the window controls worked as soon as we walked up to the car and opened the doors. As long as the car detected a fob was present, the windows could be operated. For example, when I was washing my car I could at any time open a door and raise/lower windows as desired long without sitting down and pressing the brake pedal.

I have re-booted the car several times but it makes no difference.

My 2017 X is currently on 2021.24.28

Anyone else having this issue? Thanks.

A month or two ago I noticed that, when my 2017 X was not being driven, unless I was sitting in the drivers seat and had pressed the brake pedal the window controls did not work.

In other words, if I walked up to the car with my fob on me, opened the door and tried to raise/lower a window the window would not move (in that scenario the drivers display shows ”Car Off”). I have to sit down, press the brake, the “Car Off” message is replaced by the PRND display, and then the window controls work.

Also, if I have sat down, pressed the brake, lowered a window, get out of the car without closing the door and then try to raise the window the window won’t go up; the window controls don’t work. In that scenario the car almost immediately goes into the “Car Off” state after getting out of the drivers seat and the windows don’t work.

I’ve owned the car for 5 years. My wife and I are sure that in the past the window controls worked as soon as we walked up to the car and opened the doors. As long as the car detected a fob was present, the windows could be operated. For example, when I was washing my car I could at any time open a door and raise/lower windows as desired long without sitting down and pressing the brake pedal.

I have re-booted the car several times but it makes no difference.

My 2017 X is currently on 2021.24.28

Anyone else having this issue? Thanks.
Within the last week, I have sat in my 2017 X and lowered the driver door window while the door was still open before pressing the brake pedal (obviously, as that would close the door). FWIW, this is on 2022.12.3.20, so maybe it is specific to a small subset of versions you haven't upgraded beyond yet. That having been said, I'm a bit surprised you're on such an old version, to the extent that I imagine it could be an issue other than the version if you have regular WiFi access and don't show an update available. I mean, it could even possibly related to the lack of updates (whatever is causing the window issue could also be causing update issues). To be clear, I'm not saying that is likely, but I'm on FSD beta, and FSD beta presumably went 2022 long after it was mainstream, but I still got a 2022 version in April. Meanwhile, I believe your version dates back to at least September (9+ months old).

I'm a bit surprised you're on such an old version, to the extent that I imagine it could be an issue other than the version if you have regular WiFi access and don't show an update available. I mean, it could even possibly related to the lack of updates
Thanks for your reply. I’m also puzzled as to why my X has not had an update in a long time. Both my Teslas are on wifi in my garage. I can confirm that because I can see them in the app when I’m in my condo, and my garage is 7 floors below me. My Model 3 gets software updates frequently but I can’t remember the last time my X had an update.

My X does not have FSD so I’m not in the beta program. It has EAP.

I guess it is feasible that MCU1 vehicles haven't been updated in that long, but if you have MCU2, I think you have waited more than long enough to justifiably open a mobile service request indicating that you are concerned software updates may not be working. That is, assuming you have the option to open a mobile service request in the app. You could also mention the window thing, as it sounds like a software issue they may be ale to speak to.

Here is what my X shows for software status.
4CB0D398-8F4F-4B85-A52A-E0DF6C0205EC.jpeg

I'm surprised that they would have an MCU2 vehicle that far back on updates even though it is AP2.0 with MCU upgraded. You'd be better off still on V10, but that ship already sailed, and V11 has definitely improved since then. Apparently that is the case, though. Did you mention the window issue in the service ticket? If so, I agre, unfortunately, you are probably stuck living with it until/unless they bring you back up to date.

I have a 2018 X and I noticed this too (remember being able to do it and now can't) but I've been in the fsd beta since the beginning so I don't know my version number will be helpful. At the very least your post confirmed I'm not crazy....

I have owned my X since it was new and have always had passive entry turned on.
RIght, but yours quit opening windows in "car off" while mine didn't. You wouldn't have to change the setting, just double-click the top of the keyfob and see if the window will open afterwards. Another possibility may be that I'm doing it with the door open, but it's harder to believe/imagine that the windows will only open while the driver door is open or the car is "on" (yet not immediately after the driver door is closed).

After being on on 2021.24.28 for many many months, today my X updated to 2022.8.10.1 and it appears my window operation issue is resolved. The windows now behave like they used to; when I walk up to the car with my fob and open the door, before sitting down and with the drivers display showing the car “Off” I can use the window controls in the door to lower and raise the windows. Before the update I had to sit down and press the brake pedal to turn the car fully on to operate the windows.