Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change in Bluetooth recognition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my M3 for about a month. I have an iPhone X on 12.1, which I updated when it came out. From day one, after the initial setup of my phone, I never had to take my phone out of my pocket, from opening the door through putting the car in gear. However, yesterday that changed. Since then, and I have tried a number of times, although I can open the door and have the car respond in all the standard ways as before, I cannot put it into gear. Nothing happens when I move the lever for either Drive or Reverse. I have to take the phone out of my pocket and tap the screen to wake the phone up. I don't need to take any further steps. But once the phone wakes up, I can put the car in gear. I made no change to either my phone or the car. I'm on 42.3 and have been for over a week. Any ideas or suggestions?

Not sure exactly but one thing you can try to troubleshoot... there's four Bluetooth beacons in the car that the phone key uses, if you look under "Bluetooth" settings on your phone it will list them, they're named with a bunch of random letters and numbers, but the last character is always one of these four...
C = Console
D = Drivers Door
P = Passenger Door
T = Trunk

I'm guessing the phone isn't connecting to the Console beacon, since thats what detects if its inside the car.

I had the problem the other day, iPhone X had worked for months straight, and then all of a sudden it stopped connecting to the driver door beacon. Toggling Bluetooth on and off fixed it though for me.

• Informative
Reactions: srjinatl and RobbL
@eli_, I noticed those strings popping up from time to time, and never considered that they were related to the car, particularly because there was a quite stable listing - Tesla Model 3. In any case, toggling Bluetooth off and on from my phone worked perfectly. Thank you.

Robb

Not sure exactly but one thing you can try to troubleshoot... there's four Bluetooth beacons in the car that the phone key uses, if you look under "Bluetooth" settings on your phone it will list them, they're named with a bunch of random letters and numbers, but the last character is always one of these four...
C = Console
D = Drivers Door
P = Passenger Door
T = Trunk

I'm guessing the phone isn't connecting to the Console beacon, since thats what detects if its inside the car.

I had the problem the other day, iPhone X had worked for months straight, and then all of a sudden it stopped connecting to the driver door beacon. Toggling Bluetooth on and off fixed it though for me.

I saw those on my phone the other day and wondered what those four connections were for - good to know they aren’t some rogue Bluetooth connections!