TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Change in Service Ctr charging policy?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by MS16, Feb 17, 2017.

1. MS16

MS16 Member

When picking my vehicle up from the SC after previous warranty repairs, the battery has always been fully charged. After my last visit, the battery was less than half full.

The paperwork states "Charged vehicle to 150 mile or above"

Is this '150 mile or above' a new policy?

2. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

Are you saying they charged your car to 100% in the past? Personally I would have hated that, as I can count on one hand the number of times I've charged to 100%.

I have no idea if this is a new policy or not. But if the policy had been to charge a cuatomer's car to 100% without checking with the customer first, I'm glad they may have changed it.

3. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I would imagine a policy on this would vary by service center. They seem to have a lot of Independence, which is good because space, staff, chargers, number of clients etc vary widely.

4. arijaycomet

arijaycomet Member

Usually they ask me when I visit if I want/need charged. Each lift has a HPWC at our SC, so the techs can have power if needed while working on the vehicle. If I say yes I want charged, our SC has a SpC in the back hidden from view they'll often use after the vehicle gets detailed (detailing is also not typical, more for big visits, like summer/wheel swaps, etc).

As Chad said above, I bet it varies SC to SC ... but if you ask/request I would assume they might fully charge for you if you want. As for the comment above about 100% --- i've NEVER had the SC override my 90% max charge. So even when they "fully charge" it stops at 90% because that is what I have it set to. I doubt the SC would ever touch they--- but they might leave it plugged into "max charge" (whatever you have it set to, when it stops, would remain as-is)

5. MS16

MS16 Member

Every previous visit to the SC, they've always charged up to the maximum that I've had set in the car, which for me is 90%. They've never changed my settings.

The issue is they didn't do that last time, they charged to less than 50%. There was also a note in the paperwork about charging to 150 miles or more, when in the past there were no such notes. Was just curious if this was a new policy or a one-off situation.

• Informative x 1
  6. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

When was your in for service? I picked up my car last week (two weeks ago maybe?) and I had about 85%+ battery. They charged it to 90% (then again, I dropped it off with 80%, so they might have just tested to make sure it charges).

Nothing in the notes about 150miles, just that they tested charging at 40A.
    "Tested and inspected vehicle's charging: Good, no issue. Vehicle charged normally @40amps."

7. MS16

MS16 Member

I picked it up at the end of last week.

8. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I checked, me too on the 10th.

9. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

I find that my car is returned to me with a topped up battery after most -- but not all -- my service center visits. i do not expect it to be topped up so I don't mind when it is. but I do prefer that they do it, and they usually do.

i wasn't aware there was a policy governing this. i always assumed it was a "good will" kinda thing.

10. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

They always ask me how much charge I want/need.

11. paulkva

paulkva Member

I suspect it depends on whether the service center has supercharging capability and how busy they are. I've never expected them to charge my car and they don't do so consistently. But any time I know I'll be driving a lot immediately after my appointment, I try to ask ahead of time for them to charge as much as possible before I pick it up.

Regardless of your situation, asking about charging before or during drop-off will generally be your best bet.

• Helpful x 2
  12. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

My car is set to 90% charge. When I picked it up 2-17-17 it was fully charged to 90%. It was at 67% when I left it and this has been a similar case every visit. If it is a SOC limit you are guessing then no because I was at 67% upon arrival. \i/

13. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I have only been to the Service Center once, and there was no charging done, nor any discussion about charging.

Do they ever do a balancing charge, maybe look at records to see if it ever gets done by the owner and if not, do that?

14. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

I have never heard of the service center doing a range charge just to balance the pack because the owner hadn't. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but...

• Informative x 1
  15. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.28 c528869

When I took delivery in December, I found my car had been charged to 100%.

16. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

Same for me. It was charged to 100% and the charge limit was still set at 100%. They never mentioned setting it lower for daily charging during my orientation either. If I hadn't been frequenting TMC I would not have known to lower it, although I suppose I would have gotten a warning from the car after a few consecutive days of charging to 100%.

17. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

Agreed. If the Service Center doesn't have a private-use Supercharger, charging the car could require some planning after accounting for other cars in service and the number of available chargers they have. Thus, it likely is something more along the lines of "never return a car to the customer with less than 150 miles of charge" so they have a baseline for an "automatic decision" on charging. As can be seen from other reports, many times that baseline never plays a role and the service center just leaves the car plugged in sufficiently long to get a full standard charge.

18. MorrisonHiker

Currently, mine's down to 134 miles, doors open, interior set to Hi and the interior temperature is 82 degrees. Hopefully they remember to plug it in.

FYI, the car was "in service" from 2/9 until 2/15 and I wasn't able to connect. The service appointment survey was sent out the 15th when the car was sent to the body shop. It's back in the Service Center now but I've been able to connect and watch things since the 15th. :cool:

19. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

And if your service center has a Supercharger, they could plug it in right before calling you to tell you your car is ready. Or, if the heater doesn't run for too much longer, they could just plug it into an HPWC and have 150+ miles pretty quickly.

Incidentally, I can confirm that running the interior temp on HI and leaving the door open for an hour is a great way to bring yourself down from 100% to 90% charge when you forgot to change your charge limit after a trip. :oops:

• Funny x 1
  20. MorrisonHiker

#20 MorrisonHiker, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    No Supercharger at the Service Center but they do have a HPWC or two. I only live about 25 miles from the Service Center so there's no problem getting home without a full or half charge. Now down to 112 miles and 97F inside. Looks like they are draining the battery on purpose, just like you did. ;)