Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change lease terms due to less mileage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anybody who is leasing their MX have success dropping their payments due to lower mileage driven. I am about to hit one year mark but have only driven 10k miles due to shorter commute after I signed lease. My 3y lease payments were based on 36k miles. Wondering if there is any way to reduce future monthly payment by talking to Tesla Leasing group. Any guidance?

They don't let you increase your monthly payment because you want to drive more. so I guess they will not let you decrease the monthly payment either. If you really want to get rid of that lease you should try lease swap.

Reactions: Ampster
anybody who is leasing their MX have success dropping their payments due to lower mileage driven. I am about to hit one year mark but have only driven 10k miles due to shorter commute after I signed lease. My 3y lease payments were based on 36k miles. Wondering if there is any way to reduce future monthly payment by talking to Tesla Leasing group. Any guidance?
No.

Sorry Tesla, or any other company for that matter, will not allow you to drop your payment if you drive less. That's like leasing an apartment room and asking for a discount because you decided to sleep over your girlfriends place more.

As for lease swap, unlike the apt rental scenario above, most, if not all banks, allow you to transfer the lease to another person. There are some restrictions that vary from bank to bank, such as the new person has to live in the same state you do, but basically you and the new lessee fill out an application or credit app, to see if they will qualify. If they are approved, you can transfer the car over to them.

Yes, I'm sure you have lots of questions forming now...

1. What about my deposit.
What about it.... it's gone.

2. Can I ask the new buyer to pay me back
Yup.... you can even pay him to take your car too (holy moley). It's all negotiable. Bank will not care what you guys negotiate. They only care about someone finishing the contract.

3. Can the payment be lowered
Again.. nope. It's the same payment and terms. New lessee just takes over what you already agreed to. So if you got a killer deal on a lease because of whatever reason (i.e. I know the right people, put a big ass deposit down, I am elon musk, etc), then that is what the new lessee will pay. Unfortunately tesla does not bargain so most likely potential lessee can get the same deal as you, but they could potentially save on the initial deposit and any remaining time on annual DMV registration.

3. What happens if he doesn't pay
Depends on the bank, you may still be on the hook or they may release you

4. Damages or over mileage
Off the hook for both.

5. Wait.. I'm under
Benefit would go to new lessee.

5. Wow this is a great idea, maybe I should think about this as a start up....
too late
www.swapalease.com

Hope that helps

Reactions: BLKMDL3
Doesn't seem like you are that far off the mileage to seriously worry about it, 30k out of a potential 36k miles at the end of the lease. You could take a few long trips to catch up.

If you feel like the value of the car is higher than the cost of buying it at the end of your three years, then you should probably buy it at the end and keep it or sell it yourself. That's the main option that's in most leases.