Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change Motor Vehicle Order Agreement to my wife?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla mates! I ordered Model Y today.. so looking forward to drive the Y and be part of the community!
Hopefully quick ordering question:
For tax purposes (to get the IRS credit, we would file 2023 separately and not jointly as we used to do),
I'd like to change account owner / owner name to my wife.
We didn't do registration in the app yet, but the "Motor Vehicle Order Agreement" lists my name.
Would it be enough:
a) to change name in the app "Contact Info" to my wife,
b) only use her drivers license / name in the registration?
Or I need to cancel order and put a new one in? (and loose the $250 deposit)
Thanks

Hello Tesla mates! I ordered Model Y today.. so looking forward to drive the Y and be part of the community!
Hopefully quick ordering question:
For tax purposes (to get the IRS credit, we would file 2023 separately and not jointly as we used to do),
I'd like to change account owner / owner name to my wife.
We didn't do registration in the app yet, but the "Motor Vehicle Order Agreement" lists my name.
Would it be enough:
a) to change name in the app "Contact Info" to my wife,
b) only use her drivers license / name in the registration?
Or I need to cancel order and put a new one in? (and loose the $250 deposit)
Thanks
add her as a second registered owner when it comes to applying for the loan let her apply on her own. during this process ask your SA to remove your name from the primary driver and replace it with hers. there are a few other items the SA will do when it get delivered buy its all easy Do not cancel your order it is fine to have your spouse take over your reservation. I have done this three times for family members. it is not complicated

I'm in a similar situation as the OP as we might need to file separately in order for my wife to take advantage of the credit. My question is whether it's okay to have both of our names on the registration (currently mine is the primary and she's the secondary in the app) if we plan on filing separately? Or can the registration only have her name in order for her to claim the credit? thanks in advance.

@Mayo thanks, super helpful!

@dohmahmigh I called a Turboxtax accountant from their on-call service and he suggested only my wife to be in the registration vs having us both. Maybe I am playing too safe. He was also asking if Colorado (my state) is a Community Property State which I don't know how it's related to this topic, but CO is not as CPS.

So I changed name in my app to my wife's name, and made registration for her only. I will also follow @Mayo's advice above (with the exception that only my wife now should be on the registration). I still will have "Motor Vehicle Order Agreement" with my name as no way to change that, but it doesn't look like it will cause any issues.

Reactions: dohmahmigh
@Mayo thanks, super helpful!

@dohmahmigh I called a Turboxtax accountant from their on-call service and he suggested only my wife to be in the registration vs having us both. Maybe I am playing too safe. He was also asking if Colorado (my state) is a Community Property State which I don't know how it's related to this topic, but CO is not as CPS.

So I changed name in my app to my wife's name, and made registration for her only. I will also follow @Mayo's advice above (with the exception that only my wife now should be on the registration). I still will have "Motor Vehicle Order Agreement" with my name as no way to change that, but it doesn't look like it will cause any issues.
thanks Tagar.

Another member pointed me to this Intuit article and it says it's okay to have both names on the registration - EV Tax credit 2023 - Married Filing Separately

Reactions: Tagar
Have a question I ordered MYLR on jan29th and my Estimated delivery was Feb- Mar 2023 until this morning. I was getting alerts from TESLA to upload Driving license info to the account through the app. I uploaded my spouse DL as primary and mine as secondary and now the Estimated delivery: Mar - May 2023. Does it mean I am just added to the queue now?

Also I believe that you can apply only once to the IRA tax deduction,
so it seem safer to fill separate tax income in case you plan to buy a second EV.
Incorrect.

How Many Times Can You Claim the Electric Vehicle Tax Credit?​

You can only claim the credit once for each qualifying vehicle. The tax credit must be claimed in the year when you purchased and began to use your new fully electric or plug-in hybrid model car or fully electric two-wheeled vehicle.
However, if you purchase a separate qualified fully electric or plug-in hybrid vehicle in another year, or two separate qualified cars in the same year, then you can still claim the tax credit for the other vehicle. It is not a once-in-a-lifetime tax credit in that sense.