Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change My Mind: Thinking of Changing from AWD (non P) to RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking of switching my order from Blue LR AWD (Non P) PUP, White Interior, NO EAP -----> Blue LR RWD, PUP, EAP

Performance isn't really that big of a deal to me, the RWD car I test drove felt fantastic and price stays basically the same between the two configs and delivery will be sooo much faster.

We do usually get measurable snow most of the winter in Nebraska but that generally hasn't been a concern for me. Best car I've driven in the snow was my RWD Camaro. As for the white interior, it's beautiful.... but I'd rather have the wood on the dash than the white plastic.

Are there other things I'm overlooking with AWD?

I appreciate your comments in advance, it seems like I've lost my decision making ability now that Tesla is in the mix ;) My Dad says I have TDR (Tesla Derangement Syndrome) :p

Reactions: webdbbt
I was going back and forth between RWD and AWD but leaning towards AWD due to the weather conditions by me. Each version has its pros and cons but I ended up going with AWD for weather, resale value, currently have 2 AWD Subaru’s, and at $4K it was a no brainer.

Reactions: gavine
I'm still on the fence between AWD and RWD. My current config sits on AWD mostly because I want the added performance and the white interior. The white interior is the major reason, though. I just test drove the RWD car and it sure felt plenty fast for everyday use, though. I'm tempted to switch back, but I fear being moved further back in the delivery queue and potentially missing the end of year delivery timeframe, because I'm in Texas, and everything's been moving more slowly for us here.

So that's a long-winded way of me saying to go with your first instinct. You just don't want to overthink it all and a few months after taking delivery wishing you ended up going back to the first thing you wanted.

I had convinced myself that RWD would be fine for Colorado winters due to the low center of gravity. Had AWD cost more than $4000 or delayed my order for than a couple months then I would have gone with RWD and probably been very happy with it.

It all depends on how much you drive! I'm pretty convinced because of the weight both are going to be amazing in the snow. If you drive a lot the auto pilot is nice. But dang is it expensive. I did the opposite and got awd and no eap. Due to my short commute and I'm hoping some day eap comes down in price or adds features to be worth 5k. As it stands now it feels like high way robbery to me. Most other car companies have the same features on cars at 30k price range (lane assist and speed assisted cruise) . Granted tesla's system is better but until it's safe to drive without paying attention I'd rather enjoy the drive! It really sucks tesla doesn't include cruise with the "safest feature" of slowing down for the car in front of you in the base package.

Reactions: webdbbt
Thinking of switching my order from Blue LR AWD (Non P) PUP, White Interior, NO EAP -----> Blue LR RWD, PUP, EAP

Performance isn't really that big of a deal to me, the RWD car I test drove felt fantastic and price stays basically the same between the two configs and delivery will be sooo much faster.
Like you I have an AWD Blue non-EAP on order. Once we learned that the AWD is less efficient I thought about switching to RWD. But I decided to stay with the non-P AWD for acceleration and handling, possible better resale and snow (although in NJ the snow is not really a problem for more than 1-2 days per year.)

The white interior looks great but I'm not convinced of it's durability against stains / dirt so I never considered changing from black.

I agree the immediate benefit of RWD would be possibly getting the car sooner but I decided since so many people have waited 2+ years I can wait a couple more months--I don't know how the first-day folks did it: my brain would have exploded long ago.

I think you'll be happy either way...

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
I think I'm gonna stick it out and wait for AWD... thanks all... The wait continues, EAP will happen...when it happens..
I recommend you stick with the AWD. I did it for a few reasons: safety, handling and motor redundancy. If one motor goes down, the other can get you out of trouble. I did not get EAP. Sure it is convinient, but I rather drive and have a fun with the M3. Plus you can always upgrade later (hopefully at a cheaper price).

Rule of thumb for everyone:
  • If you already have AWD at the $4000 price, don't change it. You'll only regret it.
  • If you have a RWD vehicle, don't test a AWD or a AWD-P. You'll only regret it.
  • If you are doing okay now financially, you wont be after your AWD-P purchase because you didn't listen to me and tested a AWD-P.
In other words, don't be me.

My pro's and cons of AWD/RWD is listed here:
Performance vs AWD 0-60 Side-By-Side Video