Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change of Policy on Tesla Ranger Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if a sales location that also has service would count as one or two against that number. (Would love to see them open something here in New Hampshire but, since I live on the MA state line, Natick is good enough for buying - someplace closer for service would be desirable but there's time for that to happen)

After reading through this I'm a bit confused. I purchased my P85 in May 2014. I have had two annual service visits that have posed problems. The one last fall was taken care of by the MN service center (I'm 540 miles away) for $100 as agreed when I bought the car (it said that). Now it's 1000$ for my annual visit that I pre-paid for (8 years (or 100k miles) of scheduled checkups) and my last visit after waiting months I agreed to $500 and the MN SC contributing $500. I'm very unhappy as I made a big deal of the fact that I would have a loaner car and service every 12.5k miles without a large extra charge. Now my next service is only about 2k miles away and I'm worried I'm about to be begging for a deal again instead of receiving the services I paid for at the price I signed for.

Suggestions? What have others done? I did the pre-paid plan and am still being told it costs another $1000. The real kicker? I can't even get it there via superchargers without going nearly 300 miles out of the way and going slow as it is 230miles to the nearest supercharger in Rapid City SD. We have zero superchargers in ND and when I bought it in May '14 I was told they were going go have sueprchargers up in '15. It's 1/2 way through '16 and still no superchargers... so I can't even drive it to a SC to have the work done.

Reactions: dhrivnak
did the pre-paid plan and am still being told it costs another $1000

Did you buy the pre-paid plan with the unlimited ranger service (back when that was an option)? I think only those folks are getting to stick with the old ranger service terms since it was written into the contract.

If you have ranger service in writing in your contract, then they have to honor it. If you don't, well, you may be in for a fight.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
Did you buy the pre-paid plan with the unlimited ranger service (back when that was an option)? I think only those folks are getting to stick with the old ranger service terms since it was written into the contract.

If you have ranger service in writing in your contract, then they have to honor it. If you don't, well, you may be in for a fight.
I bought in May of 2014 and believe I had unlimited visits as they came out multiple times and never charged me right away (first off delivery issues) and they did the car trade and everything the first 3 times without a hitch. I know when I purchased I asked about any limits and she told me no, as in $100 each time no matter what it was for (large or small issues). How do I know what I ordered (I feel so dumb asking this as a computer tech I'm all about detail and knowing what I have, and then on the biggest purchase of my life I can't answer a simple question about my service plan outright).

I bought in May of 2014 and believe I had unlimited visits as they came out multiple times and never charged me right away (first off delivery issues) and they did the car trade and everything the first 3 times without a hitch. I know when I purchased I asked about any limits and she told me no, as in $100 each time no matter what it was for (large or small issues). How do I know what I ordered (I feel so dumb asking this as a computer tech I'm all about detail and knowing what I have, and then on the biggest purchase of my life I can't answer a simple question about my service plan outright).

I would hope there is a copy of the plan agreement in your My Tesla account. You would have had to pay extra for the unlimited ranger service, I believe it was ~$600 more than the regular 4+4 service plans.

Maybe someone who has the unlimited ranger plan can chime in with what their agreement looks like with regards to ranger service.

Edit: it looks like as of May 2014, the ranger service was no longer available for purchase with the service agreements.
Ranger service plan no longer available for purchase | Tesla Motors

Last edited:
I would hope there is a copy of the plan agreement in your My Tesla account.

Everyone should know that the agreements in their "MyTesla" accounts are not necessarily the agreements that they signed, but rather, at least in my case, they are the most recently updated agreements.

The language changed between the annual service agreement I signed, and the current ones. The older agreements, for example, include wheel alignments, and the newer ones only include wheel alignment checks. The agreement in MyTesla account includes the new language. If I want to see the old language, I have to find the .PDF file that was sent to me at the time I purchased the agreement.

I don't know if this is simply some sort of computer glitch on Tesla's part or not, but it is certainly awfully convenient for them. I went looking for the agreement after I was told by service personnel that my service contract did not include wheel alignments and free tire rotation, when I knew with 100% certainty that it did. Had I not been as certain as I was, I may have found the language in the document in MyTesla account, and just assumed that if this document was in my account, it must be the document I entered into. How many people might be doing just that?

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Az_Rael
I found my agreement. Nothing about extra costs ever. Also stats a loaner will be given if the repairs take over 4 hours (since their drive one way takes nearly 8 hours I'd say that qualifies since they never build a service center any closer.
Here is the top part of it:

SERVICE PLAN:

Plan Agreement Period

4-Year Plan 4 years or 50,000 miles

(whichever occurs first)

Additional 4-Year Service Plan
Additional 4 years or 50,000 miles (whichever occurs first)

4 regularly scheduled maintenance
inspections at the following
intervals: 12,500 miles or 1 year
25,000 miles or 2 years
37,500 miles or 3 years
50,000 miles or 4 years

intervals: 62,500 miles or 5 years
75,000 miles or 6 years
87,500 miles or 7 years
100,000 miles or 8 years
Purchase
Price
$1,900.00
$100 per Ranger Service
Vehicle per visit
$1,900.00
$100 per
Vehicle per visit

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I found my agreement. Nothing about extra costs ever. Also stats a loaner will be given if the repairs take over 4 hours (since their drive one way takes nearly 8 hours I'd say that qualifies since they never build a service center any closer.
Here is the top part of it:

SERVICE PLAN:

Plan Agreement Period

4-Year Plan 4 years or 50,000 miles

(whichever occurs first)

Additional 4-Year Service Plan
Additional 4 years or 50,000 miles (whichever occurs first)

intervals: 12,500 miles or 1 year
25,000 miles or 2 years
37,500 miles or 3 years
50,000 miles or 4 years

intervals: 62,500 miles or 5 years
75,000 miles or 6 years
87,500 miles or 7 years
100,000 miles or 8 years
Purchase
Price
$1,900.00
$100 per Ranger Service
Vehicle per visit
$1,900.00
$100 per
Vehicle per visit

Since you have it in writing that ranger service is $100 per visit, I would hold them to that. You might have to take it up the chain at your nearest SC, but make them honor the agreement.

Reactions: neroden
Thanks. I'll send it with my next request for annual (or in my case 12.5k miles) service visit since there are still no SCs in ND to allow me to take it to Minneapolis.
Lightfoot3b,

I had the unfortunate experience to get a flat last week but it turned out to be a blessing. the mechanic pointed out that the alignment was way out and that I risked a blowout if I kept driving.

Is the Minneapolis SC the only place to get an alignment for us in the heart of the continent?

Lester in Winnipeg

Lightfoot3b,

I had the unfortunate experience to get a flat last week but it turned out to be a blessing. the mechanic pointed out that the alignment was way out and that I risked a blowout if I kept driving.

Is the Minneapolis SC the only place to get an alignment for us in the heart of the continent?

Lester in Winnipeg
Sorry for super late reply, as far as Tesla Certified, I believe so. After that my option is Denver which is clearly way farther for you.

PS. Only ranger service is included. Not my annual pre-paid maintenance. Even a catastrophic breakdown is covered up to 500 miles, I'd have to tow SB1 ~40 miles and then have Tesla pick it up (hopefully we never find out)