Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change of Policy on Tesla Ranger Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey NetZero, I feel for ya. Very few people here realize just how remote you are. Even bringing your car to Montreal for yearly service would be a disincentive for myself if I was living on the rock to buy a Tesla. Only 31 hours without traffic :wink:(and assuming you hit the ferry times right, and no weather delays...)

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/St+John's,+NL/Montreal,+QC/@45.9367022,-71.9398791,5z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b0ca38e6b0aa261:0x9e1fd4001f12261f!2m2!1d-52.7128315!2d47.5605413!1m5!1m1!1s0x4cc91a541c64b70d:0x654e3138211fefef!2m2!1d-73.567256!2d45.5016889!3e0

When I bought my Model S in December 2012, I purchased that "Anywhere Service" plan for an extra $100 per year. I was, for once, clever enough to sign up for a full eight years - I was worried that it would increase in price. Didn't even think it might go away altogether. (Not sure the extended service plan itself is a good deal... but given the amount of service I've had its way better than paying per visit.)

Turns out the prepaid service just got a lot more valuable, since Tesla has quietly removed wheel alignments from annual service visits when you don't have the plan. If you want an alignment, that's another $150USD over and above the annual service cost.

Between this and the vast increase in cost for a Ranger visit, I'm REALLY regretting not purchasing that plan!

One of the decision points when I bought my car was that there was a Service Center close to where I live. As a result, I did buy the 8 year pre-paid Service Plan, but did not buy the Ranger add-on. Why bother when the Service Center was only about 6 km away? Now there are rumors circulating that my Service Center may close and re-locate a considerable distance from where I live (okay, not @Mayhemm distance). What about people in this boat?

Turns out the prepaid service just got a lot more valuable, since Tesla has quietly removed wheel alignments from annual service visits when you don't have the plan. If you want an alignment, that's another $150USD over and above the annual service cost.

Between this and the vast increase in cost for a Ranger visit, I'm REALLY regretting not purchasing that plan!

At times I've wondered if there was much value in the service plan, other than the Ranger/Valet service of course. It was starting to seem like everyone else got the same stuff for free. Annual service no longer mandatory for warranty. So now I get free alignments!

Fortunately for you, Model S seems to require alignments more than most vehicles...

Is that actually true? Mine has never seemed to actually require an alignment (perfectly even tire wear, no "pulling" etc.) but then, what do I know? Tesla's proably done 3 alignments on my car so far, and all I've got for my trouble is a steering wheel slightly off-center. Everything else seems the same.

My alignment was crap coming from the factory. Car was unstable under acceleration and it wore out the rear tires. Excessive toe out.

No problems since they adjusted it, though. I think there were some bulletins on the suspension also. It was probably an "early adopter" issue.

Is there any real risk of getting the alignment done somewhere other than the Tesla SC? On my BMW and Porsche, I get an alignment when I have my Snow/Summer wheels swapped at my local tire shop. I'm 200+ miles from the nearest SC, so was planning to continue this practice if/when I buy a Tesla. Should I rethink this?

Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 8.38.26 PM.png

Hmm they charged me for an alignment and I have the prepaid service plan. At least it finally dealt with the slight wobble in the rear I'd feel at high speeds.

Mine was in yesterday for its 80,000 km "annual" service, and the alignment is included. (Also have the pre-paid plan). They actually didn't do the alignment because a) there was no evidence of any alignment problems and b) I am due to go back shortly for a drivetrain replacement and they will have to do the alignment then anyway.

Perhaps an alignment is only done at certain "annual" service visits. The 80,000 km was a big one. They flushed and re-filled the coolant, flushed and re-filled the brake fluid and completely evacuated and re-pressurized the air conditioning system among a bunch of other stuff.

I haven't been very diligent in using my pre-paid service visits. I paid for 8 and this is only the second one I've had done. Apparently, it's a "use it or lose it" proposition, and I may have forfeited the ones for earlier time/mileage intervals. The reason I wasn't so diligent is because it seemed like whenever I had the car in for anything else, the did a bunch of "annual service-like" stuff anyway.

Mine was in yesterday for its 80,000 km "annual" service, and the alignment is included. (Also have the pre-paid plan). They actually didn't do the alignment because a) there was no evidence of any alignment problems and b) I am due to go back shortly for a drivetrain replacement and they will have to do the alignment then anyway.

Perhaps an alignment is only done at certain "annual" service visits. The 80,000 km was a big one. They flushed and re-filled the coolant, flushed and re-filled the brake fluid and completely evacuated and re-pressurized the air conditioning system among a bunch of other stuff.

I haven't been very diligent in using my pre-paid service visits. I paid for 8 and this is only the second one I've had done. Apparently, it's a "use it or lose it" proposition, and I may have forfeited the ones for earlier time/mileage intervals. The reason I wasn't so diligent is because it seemed like whenever I had the car in for anything else, the did a bunch of "annual service-like" stuff anyway.

Last time I was at Tranmere and asked about the alignment I was told that ALL prepaid service visits will get an alignment at no charge if it is required.

As far as using the prepaid visits, you can use them whenever you want. In other words, there is no mileage or yearly time that you have to use them.
So you will not lose them, IMO. Did anyone specifically tell you that you would lose them? (No one from Tranmere has implied that to me).

@bsd : I would definitely ask for a refund.

Last time I was at Tranmere and asked about the alignment I was told that ALL prepaid service visits will get an alignment at no charge if it is required.

Okay. I was thinking that it was maybe only included at specific month/mileage intervals. Not all the "annuals" include the same service activities.

As far as using the prepaid visits, you can use them whenever you want. In other words, there is no mileage or yearly time that you have to use them.
So you will not lose them, IMO. Did anyone specifically tell you that you would lose them? (No one from Tranmere has implied that to me).

I was told this, yes.

To be honest, I find it all a bit confusing. I originally bought the pre-paid plan because, at the time, it was stated you had to have the inspections to maintain your warranty, and it was cheaper to pre-pay. Since I drive a lot, I bought 8 years' worth since I would need two a year based on the mileage requirements. Later, Elon came out and said no you don't need the inspections to maintain the warranty. So I figured great, I'll just use up my 8 by going in once a year or so.

There was never anything published saying what you actually get at each interval. It appears that they do a complete different set of things at each month/mileage interval. I believe the plan calls for a service at 12 month/20,000 km intervals (I drive about 40,000 km a year). I think the first one I used was at 20,000 km and there wasn't a lot there other than replacing wiper blades and fob batteries. The one I just had was the 80,000 km which is a biggie. I assume I "missed" the 40,000 and 60,000 km ones and am not even sure what they would have entailed. I suppose the two I "missed" could or should just be tacked on the end, but they did say that you're supposed to come in for each one or you forfeit the plan.

The thing is, I have found that Tesla Service was already doing a lot of proactive stuff whenever I brought the car in anyway. If, for example, if I had condensation in the tail light, the repair order would have a whole bunch of other stuff I didn't ask for and wasn't even aware of. I'm not complaining... this is great, but it made it seem like bringing the car back the next day for an "annual" would have been redundant.

One observation that my family makes, as well as people at work who have seen me with so many different loaners, is that for an electric car, it sure seems to need a lot of maintenance.

One observation that my family makes, as well as people at work who have seen me with so many different loaners, is that for an electric car, it sure seems to need a lot of maintenance.

That is true, but we both have very early versions of the car, and as early adopters we did anticipate more service. Perhaps there's been more than I expected... but the service has been fantastic so that has largely made up for it.

That is true, but we both have very early versions of the car, and as early adopters we did anticipate more service. Perhaps there's been more than I expected... but the service has been fantastic so that has largely made up for it.

That's very true. There is absolutely nothing to complain about there. I also remain impressed at the level of personalized service they deliver. I think I have related this story before, but once my wife ran in to a fellow in an elevator with a Tesla jacket on. When she asked if he had a Tesla, it turned out he was one of the service technicians and after she introduced herself he not only knew me, but described my car and the things he had worked on. I have trouble remembering what day of the week it is, but these people somehow remember us and our service histories in detail.

The thing is, Tesla DID promise Ranger service as part of their big, "Revolutionizing Service" announcement a year or so ago. It was clearly outlined that they would send a Ranger to customers living far away from service centers for a flat $100 fee over and above any other associated repair costs. Or one could purchase the "anywhere" service plan, which included UNLIMITED Ranger visits. That Tesla has quietly removed reference to this program without telling anyone does not change the fact that they DID offer it, and led far-flung prospective customers (like myself) to expect a certain level of service and the assurance that Tesla would have their back in case of trouble.

I don't think it is unreasonable to request that Tesla publicly clarify their new policy on long-distance service and perhaps even offer compensation of some sort to customers who were misled into relying on this ill-conceived experiment that did not even exist for 3 years before becoming unsustainable (especially those who purchased the Anywhere service plan).

Exactly correct. Now, Tesla is going to keep their commitment to me, which is great. But...

...I went to a number of car shows and "Drive Electric" events and fielded a lot of questions about the car. I told a lot of people about Tesla's unlimited ranger service plan. I caused at least one definite sale, and probably a dozen.

Now, I'm still going to be going to car shows. But I'm going to be telling people to NOT buy the car. And I don't know how long it'll take those people to consider buying the car again; it's not like they'll necessarily notice when a closer service center shows up.

Also, I can't ever buy another Tesla until they fix this. They just lost a potential repeat customer. I was considering getting a second car. Now I can't and so I won't. And I do have to call the couple I met who have a Model X reservation to warn them that they should cancel it.

This just seems like a boneheadedly stupid move. Eventually there will be enough service centers to make Ranger service unnecessary -- or will there? At this rate (6 service centers opening per year), there won't be enough ever! (Incidentally, since the release of Model S, there has not been an opening of a service center significantly closer to me than the one in Philadelphia which was open back in June of 2012. As far as I can tell, none is scheduled, even though they keep making vague claims that they'll get around to a Syracuse or Rochester center eventually.)

- - - Updated - - -

Well, it does, but that's because it was an early-off-the-line model. Most of the issues I've seen seem to have been design or production defects rectified in later-off-the-line models.

The thing is, anyone buying the car is worried that they'll get the "lemon". Unlimited Ranger Service provides insurance against the potentially unlimited costs of getting the "bad one" off the production line. Without Unlimited Ranger Service, the potential costs just from the transportation are unlimited. And while 99% of buyers won't have such problems, the 1% who happen to get problem cars will be hopping mad about their unlimited cost exposure *for warranty items* due to the transportation costs.

This is why Tesla has to offer a prepaid, free-after-prepaying option for transporting the car to service when it's needed, for people who live far away from service centers. It keeps the people who get the "problem cars" happy -- and there will always be a few of them, and if they're unhappy because they're out-of-pocket for many thousands of dollars, boy will they hurt the company's reputation.

How much should Tesla charge for Unlimited Ranger Service? Well, they need to hire an actuary to figure that out, because it really is insurance-like. But it *has to be offered* at some price.

Today I too learned about the change in the Ranger Service plan. We purchased our Tesla in April of 2015 and we live in Chesapeake, VA. Despite living in a large metropolitan area our nearest service center is Raleigh, NC over 200 miles away. Before purchasing the car I looked into service knowing very well it was likely the car may have a few issues along the way. I too was informed about the $100 Ranger service which I felt was a fair trade off for not having a service center here. Now, a mere 4 months later we are having our first issue where our phones are notifying us of a charging interruption problem every night. Luckily the car is still charging and performing normally. Tesla needs the car back to properly rectify the problem and informed me it would be $606 to cover the transportation. I am quite dissatisfied as we bought the car under the assumption that service visits for warranty repair would cost $100. Now any service visit is going to be a $600 plus bill. I have been a huge fan of Tesla and have helped spread the word by giving numerous test rides and attending various events. This however is a quite demoralizing and souring development.

Sorry to hear that you've been bitten by Tesla Motors' false advertising, bmanke.

This is a really atrocious development. I don't know how much money Tesla is saving by this boneheaded policy change, but it can't possibly be worth the loss of reputation.