Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change only one tire? NTB won't do it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to the forum.
I have brand new Falkens on the rear and and OEM Michelins at the front. Car is a performance 20in wheels. I need to replace the passenger front tire due to debris on road but the other 3 have very low mileage. NTB says I need to replace all 4 and won't do only one. I've reached out to Tesla also. Any thoughts or previous experiences replacing only one tire?

This happened to me, and I found a used tire on eBay of the same brand/model and a match on the tread (same as the opposite side). Used tires on eBay are pretty economical...Seems like the best solution, short of buying two new tires....

Would this work?

Last edited:
New to the forum.
I have brand new Falkens on the rear and and OEM Michelins at the front. Car is a performance 20in wheels. I need to replace the passenger front tire due to debris on road but the other 3 have very low mileage. NTB says I need to replace all 4 and won't do only one. I've reached out to Tesla also. Any thoughts or previous experiences replacing only one tire?

I have no idea who "NTB" is, but there is no reason to replace all 4 tires on the car because you need to replace one. There is no transfer case, etc.

Reactions: DerbyCityY
You can replace just the right front tire. At worst you could replace both front tires since you already have mismatched front and rear tires. If NTB doesn't want to do it, go somewhere else.
A palm frond caused a sidewall puncture on my right front snow tire on a trip to Houston. Timing was an issue - we were planning to drive back north the next day - and there were (obviously) no Pirelli snow tires to be found in Houston. Discount Tire had absolutely no objection to replacing it with a new Michelin that matched my summer set.

New to the forum.
They might be refusing because on many AWD cars it can be important to keep all tires very close to the same level of wear. But your car has open diffs between left and right, and no diffs between front and rear, so it should be fine.

you can always just bring them a wheel, absent the car, and have them swap the tire, then they can pretend not to know.

you can always just bring them a wheel, absent the car, and have them swap the tire...
Good advice. That’s exactly what I did when I needed to replace both of my rear tires a few months ago. No way am I letting anyone (even a Tesla SC) lift up and fool around underneath my Babe’s dress. Wait, we’re talking about cars, right? ;) 🤣

OK. Back on subject and to answer the OP’s question…
New to the forum.
While “very low mileage” may not necessarily mean low tire wear, I am assuming your other three tires have low wear (meaning you still have 90% or more of the original tread). If so, then it’s absolutely OK to replace just one tire. Heck, even at 80% remaining tread life on your other three tires, it’s still OK to replace and buy just one new tire… at least that is what a few Tesla service techs told me when I asked about when it is OK/safe to replace just one tire, versus two or all four tires.

So, the good tire shops/technicians should tell you that is OK to replace just one tire if the other three have low wear. If the other three tires have moderate wear, then they should advise you to replace at least two tires to help maintain overall balance (two new tires on one axle and two older tires on the other axle). If National Tire & Battery told you that all four tires needed to be replaced, then I suggest you find another more reputable tire shop…

Former tire buster for BF Goodrich here... this is the oldest tire con in the book, dating back to when "radial" tires started to come on the market (just shortly after the invention of the wheel and the discovery of fire). We routinely told customers that you could not replace just 1 tire because you can't run radials with non-radials. And this was the truth. However, it quickly became clear that we could also use this as an upsell technique: "You can't run 2 radials with 2 non-radials... you can't run 2 different radials on the same side of the car... you can't run 1 radial from 1 brand with radials from a different brand... and --- last but not least --- you have to replace all 4 tires if you're going to replace just 1."

Sold a lot of tires that way. There's only a couple real issues with replacing tires.
1) Don't mix sizes
2) Rotate tires front to back, not side to side. You don't want to run tires "backwards".
3) If you replace 1 tire try to replace it with the identical brand and size; having mis-matched brands can mean slightly mis-matched sizes, even if the sizes are the same.
4) Otherwise, if you replace 1 tire the remaining tires should be reasonably close to new. If they're not, then replace the other tire on the same end of the car (ie., replace both front or both rear tires). This is just to help with steering control, especially on the front. Having 2 tires with dramatically different wear on the same end of the car can make handling funky, and will wear out the new tire much faster.

Otherwise... it's good to know that the old "YOU'LL KILL YOURSELF IF YOU DO THAT!!!" sales pitch is still alive and well.