Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change out Piano Black for Carbon Fiber trim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone done this via the service centers? One of my only regrets with my car was not getting either the carbon fiber or matte obeche trim. As I'm sure many are aware, the piano black is a fingerprint and dust magnet and scratches very easily. I've managed to take good care of mine but I'm waiting for the day it gets damaged.

I've looked at some of the aftermarket solutions like some of the carbon fiber looking wraps/overlays, but I haven't been in love with any of them.

I had my car in the shop last week and I asked the service guy there if adding OEM carbon fiber was an option, and sure enough it is. They would just have to order the parts and install it. Cost was about $1,500 for the full interior trim update (dash plus cup holder area) which is about $500 more than the factory option if I recall correctly. The difference here is in the labor. Interestingly, I was also quoted for the carbon fiber rear spoiler ($1,500 for that alone), which I was under the impression was a P85D- or P90D-only option.

I'm curious if anyone has done this with the carbon fiber (or any other trim for that matter) after delivery by Tesla? If so, was the quality of work and final result satisfactory? I'm hesitant to have my dash ripped apart, but if the final fit and finish is equal to factory quality then I'm less worried about it. Any feedback is appreciated.

I've thought about trying the evannex Greywood solution but haven't come across anybody endorsing it. I don't want to be first.

Accent-I: Interior Appliqué Dash Kit for Tesla Model S

Yeah I have looked at the Evannex application and it looks pretty good, but you can definitely tell that it's aftermarket if you know what you're looking at. Particularly around the AC vents. I'm hesitant to put down what are effectively stickers on my dash. If they ever started to peel off or whatever, that would be really disappointing because I'm sure things would not look the same if you ever had to remove them. I know they have a "semi-permanent" application option, but still.

@matblk, thanks for the video, that's pretty cool to see but definitely something I would never attempt to undertake. But for as invasive as it appears, its really just a matter of undoing screws and clips (which is a good thing).

I've been thinking about replacing my dash top pad with one that has the alcantara insert (like the one in the video). Once you have the front of the pad loose as shown in the video, is there much more to removing and replacing it?

Early in the piece, Tesla sent me the trim substrates and I veneered them with Australian native timber. I installed all the dash pieces myself, but the center console did not come out well and I elected to leave that in the carbon fiber original. The whole dash operation took me about an hour or so to install. Bear in mind that I had never done anything like this previously. I WAS given verbal instructions on how to go about it by a service tech completely off the record, but Tesla would not under any circumstance do the install for me as the parts were now not OEM!! They were, except for a half mm thick veneer with some glue!! The end result is a totally unique one- of- a - kind with which I am very happy. There are photos on the Australian sub site under modifications as a thread name which you must search for as it has not been added to for a long while. The centre console is a fairly large job to disassemble, but is doable. Evannex I think has step by step instructions.
Personally I did not like ANY of the available options, and even the carbon fiber I felt did not really do anything for the car. It is unlikely in the extreme that you would be able to source substrates from Tesla now. I obtained them when there were less than 1000 cars total on the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: jvonbokel