Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change seat color?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016.5 MS came with Next Gen tan seats but I must admit when I see the blue exterior with white interior, it looks so much nicer. Are there any options to dye the leather seats / trim white or is the only option new 'skins'? I have never worked with leather, thus the question.

Thanks.

There are many autoshops/interior designers that will do this for you. You can even pick which type of leather you want, perforation, quilting etc... but beware, these extra options will cost more. TSportline is the most popular one in the US, but any reputable one will be fine. If you can get your hands on a seat from the Tesla parts catalogue this might be easier, but then you'd have white seats with tan trim.

I'll be going to an autoshop to have my seats changed to real, perforated leather once I take delivery, but obviously not TSportline because I'm in Europe.

Here's the link to TSportline: T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Aftermarket Accessories

Reactions: FMinMI
It might be simple to use some seat covers with the color you like.

This provides also additional protection, if you want to keep your car in a pristine look,
as I noticed that the driver seat often shows some wear after few years.

Also, I would be less worrisome for getting any stain on a white seat.

I noticed that some other car manufacturers provide a matching color seat belt
instead of the black standard color used by Tesla, something that I would find nicer.

There are several TMC threads and YouTube video on this subject, hoping this can help

Last edited:
It might be simple to use some seat covers with the color you like.

This provides also additional protection, if you want to keep your car in a pristine look,
as I noticed that the driver seat often shows some wear after few years.

Also, I would be less worrisome for getting any stain on a white seat.

There are several TMC threads and YouTube video on this subject, hoping this can help

All the ones I have seen look pretty cheap/obvious, and then there is the issue of the door panels and instrument panel. Just too weird :-(

Thanks for the reply.

Even if removed? How do they get colored in the first place?

Thanks.

All the ones I have seen look pretty cheap/obvious, and then there is the issue of the door panels and instrument panel. Just too weird :-(

Thanks for the reply.

You could remove the leather and get it dyed, but it would be a more complicated process than just telling an autoshop to put new leather on. Seat covers look cheap; only use them if you're going camping or something. The doors and the rest of the trim could also get new leather at the autoshop. You could even have the seats altered (i.e. if you or others driving the car are short and need a driver's seat boost), but I'm not sure if TSportline does this, and you didn't mention that you need that. You're looking at a relatively expensive project, but hey, if you got a car like the Model S, it's worth it going the extra step to make it that much nicer.

You could remove the leather and get it dyed, but it would be a more complicated process than just telling an autoshop to put new leather on. Seat covers look cheap; only use them if you're going camping or something. The doors and the rest of the trim could also get new leather at the autoshop. You could even have the seats altered (i.e. if you or others driving the car are short and need a driver's seat boost), but I'm not sure if TSportline does this, and you didn't mention that you need that. You're looking at a relatively expensive project, but hey, if you got a car like the Model S, it's worth it going the extra step to make it that much nicer.

I found a place close by who says they do auto leather projects. Won't hurt to ask but it sounds like I may just keep what I got since changing the color is not an option.

Thanks for everyone's input. Stay safe out there...

An other option is getting the full seats and panels from a salvaged car.

Most of the salvaged Tesla get their battery removed, and the car is then sold in auction.
So there must be a lot of dismantlers who try then to sale used parts.

Just as an example, I was looking at this 2019 Model S which seems to have been T-bone,
but beside the front damage the rest of the car was still in perfect condition.

vid42058848_uid5e7bb8d9eb35a.jpg

Reactions: JasontheBeaver
An other option is getting the full seats and panels from a salvaged car.

Most of the salvaged Tesla get their battery removed, and the car is then sold in auction.
So there must be a lot of dismantlers who try then to sale used parts.

Just as an example, I was looking at this 2019 Model S which seems to have been T-bone,
but beside the front damage the rest of the car was still in perfect condition.

vid42058848_uid5e7bb8d9eb35a.jpg

I am guessing whoever buys this and if they part it out will want a lot for what I need, a lot more than getting an interior shop to make new skins. My only hope is someone who has white seats and wants tan would be willing to do a trade with some cash.

Thanks.

There are companies that can dye (repaint actually) your seats, but generally the feel and lifespan isn't going to be as good as your factory color. I generally do not recommend this route for color changing interior.
Pursue replacement like others have mentioned in this thread.

There are companies that can dye (repaint actually) your seats, but generally the feel and lifespan isn't going to be as good as your factory color. I generally do not recommend this route for color changing interior.
Pursue replacement like others have mentioned in this thread.

I did search for leather dye early on and ran into a lot of 'leather paint' which sounded crazy.

Again, since I never worked with leather, I am just surprised you cannot remove the skin, soak it in ??? to remove the existing color, condition the leather with ?? then re-dye it. You can do that with cotton and I would think leather would be much more durable to do it. I know newer versions of seats use vegan material but thought my next-gen 2016 seats were real leather. How do they get the color into the leather in the first place?

Thanks for the post.

I did search for leather dye early on and ran into a lot of 'leather paint' which sounded crazy.

Again, since I never worked with leather, I am just surprised you cannot remove the skin, soak it in ??? to remove the existing color, condition the leather with ?? then re-dye it. You can do that with cotton and I would think leather would be much more durable to do it. I know newer versions of seats use vegan material but thought my next-gen 2016 seats were real leather. How do they get the color into the leather in the first place?

Thanks for the post.

I'd imagine it's like kids playing with watercolour paint. You give them a thick paper, and it's rigid even after the first paint. If they continue wetting the paper/painting it, it'll be in worse condition and will tear more easily.

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up