Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change solar edge inverter from Wifi to hardwired

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
I am running the wiring to hardwire my gateways and SE inverters. The existing inverter has the wifi card and gateway
connecting it. I want to change to hardwire. So, looking at what I can see, not seeing anything that lets me change connection type. Does one have to have installer access to make this change?

Go into MySolarEdge app.
Click menu on upper left.
Select Inverter communications and follow the instructions to connect and then change the connection type.

I actually think that when I did this and had already plugged the ethernet cable in, it had already switched.

DId you end up doing this?
My solarEdge inverter connects via Zigbee to the SolarCity/Tesla little black gateway.
When the inverter developed a fault and was replaced under warranty, I had them connect the new one via hardwired Ethernet instead.
But then during testing they discovered that the Inverter data wasn't being reported correctly to SolarEdge & Tesla servers.
They had to flip it back to Zigbee to resolve that.

DId you end up doing this?
My solarEdge inverter connects via Zigbee to the SolarCity/Tesla little black gateway.
When the inverter developed a fault and was replaced under warranty, I had them connect the new one via hardwired Ethernet instead.
But then during testing they discovered that the Inverter data wasn't being reported correctly to SolarEdge & Tesla servers.
They had to flip it back to Zigbee to resolve that.

It would have been reported to SolarEdge just fine if it was actually hooked up at all but it will NOT report to Tesla.

If you only have solar with no GW/TEG, then you must use the zigbee if you want to see production in the Tesla app. If you don't care and will only use the SE app, then ethernet is fine.

If you have a GW/TEG, then you can still see solar production on the Tesla app since it's getting it from the GW/TEG rather than the SE inverter but you will get pinged once every few weeks or so by Tesla via SMS saying your system is offline even though it isn't and even though they're still getting solar production data.