Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change speakers and adjust dsp settings possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

After driving my MS75D from october 2017 for about 10 months I have been a bit disappointed with the audio quality (I have the HiFi package). Of course audio quality perception is very subjective so other people might be very happy with their audio. In my case I get listening fatigue (can I call it that?) and it's like some tones 'resonate' in the center of my brain. So like most car manufacturers Tesla I think did a pretty good job at designing the audio system (amplifier, designed by S1nn audio which I think is Bose), then went for cheap paper speakers and then tried to compensate peaks and dips in the frequency spectrum from the speakers using dsp. This is all great until you want to change the speakers. The corrections from the dsp will be applied to the new speakers and that's not a good thing. So then you're looking at changing the amplifier too, but you can't just 'change' it so you'd need to catch the signal from the existing speaker wires and route them through a new amp where you can apply your own dsp settings for the new speakers.

Long story short, does anyone know if it's possible to adjust the dsp from the stock system? If that were possible I could simply upgrade the speakers, adjust the dsp for the new speakers and voila. I think someone 'hacked' into the software of the Tesla but I don't know who, this person might have an insight on this?

Any idea of the reasons behind the following on Power Band's site?

This subwoofer requires at least 24 hours PLAYING time to break the subwoofer in. If it is not broke in properly the subwoofer can be damaged. All of our subwoofers are AGE tested for an hour before going into stock.​

What needs to be broken in a subwoofer?