Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change to Climate Control in Tesla App after 46.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MD500_Pilot

I fly because it releases my mind.....
Supporting Member
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this change in the Tesla App. After updating to 46.2 I can no longer get my Tesla App to activate my defrosters.

Prior to the update, when I went into my Tesla App and activate the climate control, when I cranked up the heat I would get the icons for the defrosters and when I went out to my car, my defrosters were working as evidenced by my rear window and front window being cleared as well as my mirrors as they would with the defrosters.

Now when I turn the heat on (even to the max) I do not get the icons and my windows (mainly my rear window and mirrors) are no longer defrosted when I get in the car. The heater is working just fine, just no defrosters any more.

I did not even know that function ever existed. Was it only for a short time? I cannot recall my rear window defroster ever working from a remote activation -- how would you even do it?
I agree that the front defroster (which is an air flow function within the control of system when set to the "AUTO" setting) would sometimes be turned on automatically when the preheating was activated remotely (along with the battery heater, and with seat heaters and steering wheel heater if they had been turned on when the car last shut off).

I did not even know that function ever existed. Was it only for a short time? I cannot recall my rear window defroster ever working from a remote activation -- how would you even do it?
I agree that the front defroster (which is an air flow function within the control of system when set to the "AUTO" setting) would sometimes be turned on automatically when the preheating was activated remotely (along with the battery heater, and with seat heaters and steering wheel heater if they had been turned on when the car last shut off).

I just thought they came on automatically when you set it to "HI". There would be an icon that showed up to show defrosters were on.

Doesn't happen anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: Donz_S
Yeah, I don't think there was ever manual control. But I haven't seen it trigger recently even when plenty cold and the back window covered in frost. This is in weather when our Model 3 turns its defrosters on automatically, under identical circumstances.

If you crank up the heat on APP>Climate to at or near max the defroster icons appear on the screen, also a little snowflake inside the battery icon, at least if it is very cold outside, which is how it worked for me yesterday -- all windows and even roof was cleared of frost inside 10 minutes.

• Informative
Reactions: Donz_S and jgs
If you crank up the heat on APP>Climate to at or near max the defroster icons appear on the screen, also a little snowflake inside the battery icon, at least if it is very cold outside, which is how it worked for me yesterday -- all windows and even roof was cleared of frost inside 10 minutes.

This is the way it used to work for me but after I updated to 46.2 it went away. I thought yesterday that maybe I did not go high enough (used to turn on the defrosters at 80 degrees F) so I set it to MAX this morning and still no-go. No defrosters and windows, mirrors and cameras still covered over.

Yep, this is how is used to work for me until I upgraded to 46.2, now it no longer does....

Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 10.30.37 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Donz_S
I agree about the front defroster, but I was asking about the rear window defroster. if I understood the initial post correctly, the OP said that the rear window defroster and the mirror heaters could also be activated from the phone app. That is what i have never seen or heard about.

OK, so prior to the update I was able to kick on my defrosters by selecting any temperature around 80F or higher. Now, even when my windows are completely covered and I select HIGH I cannot get my defrosters to come on.

Based on what I am reading, it sounds like Tesla may have made changes to make the power drain less by magically deciding that you do not need defrosters unless the OAT is "really cold"?

So now, when it is 41F Degrees out (as it was this morning), I get in my nice warm car, but I still have to sit and wait because I have to manually select both front and rear defrosters when I get in the car.....

I'm sorry, but can I just have control of my defrosters back....?

Reactions: jgs
I got 48.12.1 yesterday and this morning, all my preconditioning goodies were back. :) The release notes also say it will provide control over seat heaters and steering wheel (but why not wiper?) heaters, but requires app version 3.8.0, which isn't out yet.

Edit to add: also, my car will now fart on command, which I predict my daughter and mother-in-law will both love.

I have noticed recently that it only turns on the heat (just the red arrows showing coming from the windshield). After a minute or so, it will turn on the seat heaters and defrost (those icons are added). After another minute or so, it will turn on the battery heater, and show that icon also. I know the battery heater only comes on if it is below a certain temp, regardless of what you have the internal temp set at in the car. Pretty sure the seat heaters and defroster work similarly. I think the cut off is about 40°. Changing the internal temp doesn't have any effect on this.