Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change to Slacker algorithm?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About two days ago, one of the channels I created on Slacker suddenly changed nearly all the music it plays. The channel is based on the artist Pentatonix. It used to play Adele, Ariana Grande, Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, etc., along with Pentatonix. Pentatonix is still played, but I haven't heard a single song by any of the other artists that used to play on this channel. It now plays various, semi-acapella groups that I have never heard of before. I never knew there were German-language acapella groups before. (I can't say for sure that I mind, because I'm not particularly into many of the other artists this channel played.) Has anyone else experienced a sudden change in what Slacker plays? Does anyone know what is going on with this?

I've noticed that Slacker started playing harder rock on my one channel based on Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here". It's really hard to understand these algorithms, without some inside knowledge.

Also, its possible that Slacker's relationship with various labels/musicians changes over time, so they may have to limit or eliminate certain artists based on these agreements.

My understanding is that Slacker isn't nearly as "smart" as one might think...it simply matches likes with other users. For example, if you like song X, it will look for, say, the top 3 songs that are liked by people who liked song X, randomize between them, and pick one. If you like X, Y, and Z it will find songs that are liked by other people who liked X, Y, and Z. So, the more songs you like, the greater the chance it will have of finding other music for you that you'll like.

If it recently started playing a new set of songs, maybe you recently liked a song from a slightly different genre, which opened up a new set of songs that are liked by people who also liked that song,