Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changed cabin filters, can't get the panel back on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I changed the cabin filters, warning stuff a towel over the openings where the side panel is located, else if you drop the T20 screw, you will be in big trouble if it falls into those openings.

Went to put the panel back on under the glovebox and can not get it to seat correctly. It's a nightmare. Any tricks to get it back on and why it is so difficult. Getting it onto the two tabs it doesn't line up and seat when on the tabs. The right side closest to the door won't seat correctly.

I’ve read enough of these threads to know that paying Tesla $35.00 in labor to do this for me was a bargain. Sorry I can’t answer your question but for those thinking of trying to do this yourself it’s worth evaluating whether it’s worth the potential aggravation if you run into problems or lose the T20 screw.

I always changed the cabin filter myself on my Lexus, but that was so easy you didn’t even have to think about it.

Skip to 18:45 and it addresses getting the panel back on.

Thanks. This is a much better video than the Tesla one. If I had seen this earlier I probably could have gotten it back on? I kept trying the right side first seeing that's where the problem was. I'd get it on and lined up but when I put the left one on it would go out of alignment. I finally gave up and had mobile come out and put it on. He said he could see where I was starting to damage it. He also found the kick panel on the right was not installed correctly from manufacturing and he quickly fixed that too. I don't think I'll undertake this again. The screw is not that easy to get to and if you drop it, which I did trying to put it back in, if you didn't put a towel to cover those openings on the floor, you're screwed. Plus it's not a very comfortable position to be working in either. I did not disconnect the wires on this panel, I left them on after reading the horror stories. I was still able to get the filters out and new ones in. Unless you have great patience and like working in tight quarters, I'd have the Mobile Tech do it.