Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changed form 20" wheels to 22"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

noble910

Supporting Member
May 22, 2018
Delaware
I originally had silver 20" wheels but changed to black 22". Now I'm concerned that the speed is off. Also, the image on the mobile app and dash still shows silver wheels. How do I let the car know?

under TPMS, theres option to set your new TPMS and you select what size wheel. besides, it shouldnt matter if its off by a few mph. its off anyways from factory. you will have to go to tesla to change the picture

TPMS? I'm an idiot.
Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

I found this which shows wheel size:

sth07sd.jpg

The Model X does not have those TPMS settings in the UI. It auto resets the TPMS after driving a few miles on new wheels. That's how it works whenever I swap wheels.

If you want to change the avatar on the mobile app and dashboard, you need to contact Tesla or visit your SC. This is not a user-configurable setting, but they should be able to change it. I did the exact same thing as my car was originally delivered with silver 20s, and I added the black 22s later.

Technically there is an internal setting that the SC can update for the air suspension when switching between 20" and 22" wheels. It's not clear what this change does, as some do not take their cars in when swapping and it's fine.

22 are usually heavier, it’s also sprung weight too. It’s the worst weight you can have. You will need more power to spin it

If the tires are wider, they will add friction, adding to the energy consumption.

The factory Speedo is very accurate on the 20” x. If you want to keep your speedo the same, you have to make sure the tire diameter is the same. You can find it by looking at tire racks specs

I originally had silver 20" wheels but changed to black 22". Now I'm concerned that the speed is off. Also, the image on the mobile app and dash still shows silver wheels. How do I let the car know?

The speed isn’t off if you’re using factory wheel and tire sizes. The overall diameter of the 20” with 45 profile tires is the same as the 22” wheels with 35 profile tires. So there isn’t anything you need to do. If you want the image to change, you’ll have to ask the SC to change it for you

They’re only different on the S, in that case the car automatically detects it and asks for confirmation before recalibrating the speedometer and suspension accordingly.

Reactions: vandacca