Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes in Air Conditioning in 2021 Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2021 LR AWD was delivered yesterday. This is a replacement of my beloved 2018 LR RWD, which got totaled in an accident a few weeks ago. I live in Texas, so this time of year my A/C is running almost constantly when I'm driving. After 2 days, it seems like the A/C in my new car is weaker and louder than in my 2018 car. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

My 2021 LR AWD was delivered yesterday. This is a replacement of my beloved 2018 LR RWD, which got totaled in an accident a few weeks ago. I live in Texas, so this time of year my A/C is running almost constantly when I'm driving. After 2 days, it seems like the A/C in my new car is weaker and louder than in my 2018 car. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.
I get my new Model 3 on Monday. I’m also in TX and will be coming from a 2018 LR RWD. I’ll compare and report back next week.

Can't comment on historical perspective 18 versus 21. My may 21 model 3 LR has been great in Arizona - better then the hybrid van it replaced and a 5 year old hybrid Avalon. I will admit I have tinted windows and generally keep the sunroof covered.

If by weaker you mean that the whole cabin doesn't cool down as quick, then that's true. In the heat pump Model 3s, only the driver's vent get activated if it doesn't detect a person sitting in the passenger's seat. This is for efficiency sake.

If by weaker you mean that the whole cabin doesn't cool down as quick, then that's true. In the heat pump Model 3s, only the driver's vent get activated if it doesn't detect a person sitting in the passenger's seat. This is for efficiency sake.
Also if you have a car seat in the back it defaults to turning on the rear vent. I turn it off when I get in (assuming no child) to improve my cooling

Explain please?

Click the fan. Click on passenger side (if empty) to enable the air to come out there. Bottom right side of screen, hit the button to turn on rear ventilation.

When air comes from all the vents, the car cools down faster inside. Especially if you've got a black interior, since the sun will turn the back and unoccupied passenger seats into radiators.

Reactions: DeltaOne
Click the fan. Click on passenger side (if empty) to enable the air to come out there. Bottom right side of screen, hit the button to turn on rear ventilation.

When air comes from all the vents, the car cools down faster inside. Especially if you've got a black interior, since the sun will turn the back and unoccupied passenger seats into radiators.
Sorry. I meant explain why you think it will cool much faster. Afaik it will cool the entire car like you are suggesting but it won't speed it up. If anything you can cool yourself to a lower temperature and more efficiently by ignoring the rest of the car. You're point about heat radiation is interesting- But I suspect outweighed by the time differential of cooling the entire car.

Sorry. I meant explain why you think it will cool much faster. Afaik it will cool the entire car like you are suggesting but it won't speed it up. If anything you can cool yourself to a lower temperature and more efficiently by ignoring the rest of the car. You're point about heat radiation is interesting- But I suspect outweighed by the time differential of cooling the entire car.
Try it yourself and see.
Results may vary for the weirdos who don’t leave it in automatic though.

Original poster here. What I'm referring to is how hard the cold air seems to be blowing on me (my vents) when I'm trying to cool down the car quickly after it has sat in the hot sun. The A/C also seems to be louder compared to my 2018 M3 - despite not blowing as hard.

Boourns - I'm interested to hear your thoughts after a few days in the car (although we're about to get a cool front, so you may not have as much opportunity to test it).

I get my new Model 3 on Monday. I’m also in TX and will be coming from a 2018 LR RWD. I’ll compare and report back next week.
Old thread, I know, but was still interested if the newer HVAC system turned out to be perceptibly "noisier" and possibly less BTU capacity if anyone knows?

Also has the newer heat pump evolved to address any of these details if it was found to be/seem noisier or slower to heat/cool ?

How quickly did resistive heater heat VS the heat pump? and at "significantly" low temperatures, when does the resistive heater outperform the heat pump if I understand its COP?