Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes in Charge Port Lock 4.5 > 5.6 > 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pgiralt

Supporting Member
Jun 16, 2013
Cary, NC
Not sure if anyone else has noticed the improvements that have been made from 4.5 to 5.6 and then 5.8 with the way the charge cable locks into the charge port. With 4.5, I would sometimes have the charge port lock "too soon" when I hadn't inserted the charge cable all the way in and the only way to fix it was to press the button to unlock, pull the cable out, then re-insert. This was especially apparent when my kids would try to plug it in as they would usually not plug it in all the way.

In the 5.6 release I noticed that there was a much longer delay between the time you would plug in and the time it would actually lock. This pretty much resolved the issue, but was strange because you didn't feel like you had put it in all the way as there was no feedback.

In the 5.8 release, I noticed another change. It feels a lot more like the 4.5 release in that when you plug in, it latches almost immediately, however if you don't put it in all the way, it seems to unlatch by itself letting you push it in all the way without having to pull back out and back in.

Anyone else notice this? I actually like the way it works now in 5.8.

Yes, I noticed. And the worst part of the 5.8 change is that the light ring turns blue even when the plug is not pushed in all the way and locked. So, even with the blue ring, you will end up with a 16 A charge rate. I notified Ownership.

Another thing I noticed since 5.6 is that it is now possible to interrupt a charge by pushing on the charge handle button when the car is locked. Specifically, if delayed charging is on, the charge in progress stops, and does not resume. I do not know if this is new, but IMO could be a problem if someone decides to fiddle with a charge cable when plugged into a public station overnight.

My recollection with 4.5 is that pushing the button did nothing, which what I expected.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I remember, it would stop charging as long as you were holding the button down and would restart when you let go. Only reason I know this is because one time my son was messing with it and it kept stopping and restarting the charge.