TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Changes/status of USB music album play order & shuffle

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by gzerninplatz, Jun 17, 2016.

1. gzerninplatz

gzerninplatz Member

What exactly is the status of USB music now?
    Do we still need one of those clever playlist hacks to get things to play in album order, not in alphabetical order?
    Is shuffle all OK now?
    Can we just copy music directly to the USB memory stick and have everything work as we would hope?
    Thanks!

2. bob_p

bob_p Member

The USB music player needs improvement (still).

After resuming from sleep, the USB music player starts automatically - likely playing many songs while no one is in the car - and sometimes completely forgetting that any USB music had been selected.

I gave up on having my entire music library on a USB, since there wasn't any easy way to play favorites - and shuffle among the favorites.

So I now have a USB stick with just my favorite songs - and always use shuffle to play those, and other than the resume-from-sleep bug and the occasional glitch during playback (likely because the media player gets interrupted by a higher priority activity), it seems to work reasonably well.

Tesla should make another pass at the media player - add the expected missing features (like playlists) and fix the bugs (the album art looks nice, but is often wrong or missing).

3. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Oh, and don't forget that the USB sources are shuffled nightly so that when you come out the next morning USB1 isn't USB1, it could be USB4. And USB3 could be USB7, etc, etc.

4. jgs

jgs Member

Yes indeed. Of all the unfinished parts of the software, this is the most baffling to me, since there are quite a number of open-source media players that actually work that Tesla could probably integrate. The current one is scarcely more than a demo. (Despite that, I do use it, mainly because it beats the hell out of fiddling with my phone as far as driving safety goes.)

5. bob_p

bob_p Member

If they can't get simple and obvious problems fixed in the USB music playback... Should there be concerns about the software that actually drives the car for summons and autopilot???

6. jgs

jgs Member

TBH, I don't think so. I just think it means the media player is getting absolutely no love from management.

7. Soundchasr

Soundchasr Member

If they would have just added a 1/8" stereo plug we could attach any player we'd like. I don't understand why they couldn't have done that?!?!?

It drives me nuts that playlists don't work.

It seems like they didn't put much thought into playing music at all.

8. James Anders

James Anders Member

Summon is a nothing but a parlor trick with little practical use. Shame that effort couldn't have been channeled in the music interface.

9. msnow

msnow Active Member

Yes also more effort into the Navigation system.

10. swesson

swesson Member

I use mine when trying to get my big wide tesla into and out of parking spots in garages that were designed for smaller cars. I find it pretty useful for that purpose specifically, but if you don't have tight spots to get your car into our out of, it probably isn't too useful.

11. jgs

jgs Member

As with so many such features it has no practical use unless you're in a situation when you need it, and then it's a lifesaver. People have reported on TMC that summon was table stakes for them because of small garages, for example.
    It's a shame they don't fix the music interface, full stop.

• Like x 1
  12. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

They could probably fix this and other infotainment issues by farming it out to owners/enthusiasts with software experience who want it fixed. Put them under NDA, only give them the infotainment code and a test system, and let them go at it. My life is extremely busy right now, but I have thought that some of the things in the infotainment system that bugs me would be fairly easy to fix if I had the source code. I've spent most of my career working on embedded systems and this would be a pretty easy one to work with compared to most.

• Like x 2
  13. msnow

msnow Active Member

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that over the past year I'd have a hundred dollars. :)

14. Soundchasr

Soundchasr Member

I'd pay some serious coin just to be able to use playlists....

• Like x 1
  15. James Anders

James Anders Member

I understand that narrow garages are the one area where Summon might be useful. But that's an awfully small subset of owners I suspect.
    Parking in public in tight areas would not be an option for many - who would want to shoehorn their car between two other cars? Door ding Extravaganza.

16. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

I recently used Summon in a parking garage when the passenger side was up against a structural column and there was no way to open that door without hitting the column. Worked great.

Back on point, shuffle also works great. The problem I've noticed is that the media player won't stay paused when you're away, so if you are listening to something like an audiobook where it's important to start where you left off, you'll be frequently disappointed.

17. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

Sometimes someone comes along and parks too close next to you after you've parked.

• Like x 1
  18. jgs

jgs Member

I've used it for that myself, to get the car out after it was parked in by someone else. Sure, I could've squeezed in the old-fashioned way, but why? I sometimes use it to pull further in after I've gotten out. Again, don't have to, but it's occasionally been of some value to me.

I don't completely comprehend the compulsion to say "because this feature is not valuable to me, it's valuable to nobody" (or "to an unimportant subset unlike my thing which is obviously important to everyone") and then add to that the assumption that software engineers and their domains of skill are completely fungible. If they had deprioritized Summon could they have reassigned that engineer, sorry I mean "resource", to fixing media? Maybe, but they seem awfully different to me.

I just want them to fix stuff. I don't mind that they also make other stuff. I don't even mind the silly stuff like the rainbow road thing.

• Like x 1
  19. swesson

swesson Member

Agree. The other thing t New member is that Tesla is going to continue to 'connect the dots' of functions like this for years to come. Today's summon is limited, but it is clear where they are going with it--fully automatic vehicle retrieving. So why beat them up for giving us early glimpses of this awesome future?

20. James Anders

James Anders Member

I never said it's not valuable to some people. I only offered the observation that unlike the number of people who listen to music is much greater (in my opinion) than the number of people who find true benefit with Summon.

That being said, I also understand that Summon is a work in progress and Tesla had to start somewhere. So, I also get that Summon will continue to become more capable.

• Like x 1