Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes/status of USB music album play order & shuffle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are some of the solutions people are using to play their music? Since we can't have playlists, I've just dumped the songs I want to here into separate folders and I play the folder I want to here. So, I have one folder with all my flacs and another folder with just the more upbeat flacs when I want just the heavier stuff. Unfortunately, doing it this way I found out that none of the album art or music info is displayed. Before, when I synced all my music to the USB with Media Monkey that as preserved. Unfortunately, then I couldn't play by folder.

What are some of the solutions people are using to play their music? Since we can't have playlists, I've just dumped the songs I want to here into separate folders and I play the folder I want to here. So, I have one folder with all my flacs and another folder with just the more upbeat flacs when I want just the heavier stuff. Unfortunately, doing it this way I found out that none of the album art or music info is displayed. Before, when I synced all my music to the USB with Media Monkey that as preserved. Unfortunately, then I couldn't play by folder.
Try this:
Tesla Tunes by tattwamasi

I find myself using my iPhone to browse and search with Bluetooth. Not as good - but my older ears can't tell too much difference.

Would seem a natural for Tesla to drop in support for Apple CarPlay and the Android equivalent. So when you select "iPhone" from the list the split screen is a CarPlay window instead that huge half screen with not much functionality.

I find myself using my iPhone to browse and search with Bluetooth. Not as good - but my older ears can't tell too much difference.

Would seem a natural for Tesla to drop in support for Apple CarPlay and the Android equivalent. So when you select "iPhone" from the list the split screen is a CarPlay window instead that huge half screen with not much functionality.
Good idea! There were rumors from Tesla reps that even though they might not support car play (dumb idea in my opinion) at least they would 'mirror' apple and andoid devices on the display screen. Still wish that such a technologically advanced car could have a better implementation of audio.

Since you are Apple-less, I'm not aware of any good automated solutions that will help deal with MS' present challenges. From months of experimentation, IMHO it comes down to your priorities working within the limitations and quirks of Media Player.

I've now gone through 3 different major organizational schemes... The last one as you found in another thread is an "Apple-only" solution using TeslaTunes (which modifies tagging of tracks onto the USB sticks to workaround MEdia Player quirks) that I'm about as happy with as I'll be until Tesla revamps Media Player -- but the first two things I tried may be something you can consider... Each has benefits and different drawbacks. Rather than retype it all here, if you are interested in a description of each, go to my personal website here: Tesla Model S: Listening to Your Own Music Library • Bert's Place Click the large "+ USB" slider, and keep scrolling down to a section called "No Playlist (M3U) Support". My first two attempts are outlined there, including the reasons I abandoned each one for the next -- but both should work fine copying tracks in a Windows environment and make things a little better than just dumping large numbers of tracks onto a USB stick and praying for a good result. You'll just have to decide if the trade-offs of one or the other is better for you than what you're already doing. Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
Since you are Apple-less, I'm not aware of any good automated solutions that will help deal with MS' present challenges. From months of experimentation, IMHO it comes down to your priorities working within the limitations and quirks of Media Player.

I've now gone through 3 different major organizational schemes... The last one as you found in another thread is an "Apple-only" solution using TeslaTunes (which modifies tagging of tracks onto the USB sticks to workaround MEdia Player quirks) that I'm about as happy with as I'll be until Tesla revamps Media Player -- but the first two things I tried may be something you can consider... Each has benefits and different drawbacks. Rather than retype it all here, if you are interested in a description of each, go to my personal website here: Tesla Model S: Listening to Your Own Music Library • Bert's Place Click the large "+ USB" slider, and keep scrolling down to a section called "No Playlist (M3U) Support". My first two attempts are outlined there, including the reasons I abandoned each one for the next -- but both should work fine copying tracks in a Windows environment and make things a little better than just dumping large numbers of tracks onto a USB stick and praying for a good result. You'll just have to decide if the trade-offs of one or the other is better for you than what you're already doing. Good luck.

Thanks, Bert! I'll check out your solutions. I, too, have tried and abandoned several. My current "solution" is to have multiple flash drives (one for each playlist). It has worked out pretty well so far. Sort of like pulling out and changing cassettes or 8-tracks like back in the day. :)

Reactions: msnow
I'd pay some serious coin just to be able to use playlists....
Hi Everybody!

Like everybody else with a Tesla, I faced the same issue with not being able to play playlists, which drove me absolutely nuts.

As a result, I created a really simple solution that works for Mac only, and it is completely free with no strings attached.

You can find the solution, also with detailed instructions here:

Jake's Tesla World: Tesla iTunes Playlist Solution & Free Download

By the way, I also put a link to this post from my story. I plan to reach out to some Senior people at Tesla to try and get them to resolve this issue. In the meantime I hope you enjoy my solution. If you have any questions or comments feel free to let me know.

Cheers!!!
Jake