Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes to AP algorithm without software update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone noticed changes to AP without getting a software update?

I'm still running 17.28.c528869 but I noticed AP local roads speed limit has been removed. I noticed after my friend observed it couple of days ago. Neither of us have gotten a software update though.

Also, I've noticed that even though the AP algorithm was smoother with this software when I got it, since about 2 days ago, on certain roads the bouncing between lanes are back.

I can positively confirm that the same roads didn't have that issue when I first got the update.

Is Tesla changing AP algorithm remotely without software updates now?

• Informative
Reactions: calisnow
I don't know but the "AP local speeds limit removed" is not broadly true.

It appears that the speed limit is gone for certain streets and there for others. I imagine their new speed limit and road data source (I think they switched to TomTom in the last update?) is classifying certain roads as "highways" now and its working. Most major streets in my local area no longer have limit restrictions. All my residential roads and smaller roads do.

Reactions: croman
There's no way to be certain - I for one feel there's a lot going on we don't understand or know about.

I know. I'm doing some testing and trying to compare it old dashcam videos to verify any changes. I feel like I've seen a lot of evidence lately that Tesla is getting ready to roll out something big related to AP soon and maybe this is the first step. True "fleet learning" without software updates?

I don't know but the "AP local speeds limit removed" is not broadly true.

It appears that the speed limit is gone for certain streets and there for others. I imagine their new speed limit and road data source (I think they switched to TomTom in the last update?) is classifying certain roads as "highways" now and its working. Most major streets in my local area no longer have limit restrictions. All my residential roads and smaller roads do.

That would make sense if I saw the change immediately after the last software update when they changed nav provider. This seems to be changes without any software update in between. Same roads. Day after software update speed restrictions apply. Starting two or three days ago, no speed restrictions on that road.

I do agree that it seems not all roads have the restrictions removed though. On my drive back home today I noticed a road that was still restricted to 5 mph above speed limit.

Yesterday, on some local road i drove, the my model S AP2 limit the speed for autosteer to 45. ironically, it does not display the road's speed limit. I set the autosteer speed limit to Road Speed Limit + 3. btw, So, the 45 limit seems really odd.

In preview release, 17.17.4, the car while in autosteer, would reduce speed to road speed limit +3 automatically when there road speed limit reduces. Current release does not do that. I kind of like the old speed limit control. So, you basically can "set it and forget it" half of the time. It does not change when road speed limit goes up, for example, 35->45.

The other major issue I see is that speed limit data is not there on lot of the local roads that I drive with this current release. Most of the road that tesla does not know speed limits are major local road. I heard this is due the the new TomTom database tesla is using.

The current release's speed limit control is a joke, it does not handle highway to local road transition, it randomly set the autosteer speed limit ... tesla engineer need to spend few hours more on this, it's not that hard!

ABSOLUTELY, I think:confused:!!! I made a service call as well as a "bug report" and explained my situation, which was, very slow accelerating from stoplights and seemed to be rather late on breaking when approaching stoplights. I would swear a couple days later magically the problems disappeared. ver. c528869 S90D Are "they" out there???:D

The speed limit thing started at 17.26.76. I documented it in the firmware thread. The geofence is broken due to the TomTom switch. I haven't told Tesla because I like it. I can commute with the speed of traffic and have AS.

That being said, its only partially broken. Even along sections of the same road, the +5 limit it will kick in and out.

• Informative
Reactions: P100DHG.