Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes to Dashboard due to Single Speed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

has anyone heard/read about planned changes to the dashboard (maybe later on) due to the decision of using a single speed?
On the two-speed a separate rpm-gauge and mph/kmh-gauge do make sense. But for the single speed, rpm and mph are in linear correlation, so there is no add. information on the rpm gauge which is not given by the speedometer. (rpm numbers could be included there in smaller way?)
Or would changes there be to difficult as the dashboard design layout with the two gauges may be borrowed from the elise?

Some of us would prefer separate rpm-meter for the "sporty" feeling - but when it always will be displaying the same as the speedometer nearby - there might be no sense.

My wife's Highlander hybrid shows kW on one needle and speed on the other.

Perhaps they should switch to a torque needle instead of RPMs?
(It could swing back to negative when regen is active)

My guess is that they will leave it as-is for now (slightly redundant but still accurate and familiar).

Heck if you turn off traction control you could spin up the RPM gauge without running up the MPH. (In other words, burn rubber!)

I think there's a possibility that they'll go back to a multi-speed transmission at some point in the future, if they can find one that works reliably. Then the tachometer will be useful again.

The current "transmission" is fine for a street car, but will be beaten by a lot of cheaper cars on many kinds of race tracks.

-Ryan