Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes to invite priority, now only effected by date/time of reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got off the phone with a Tesla rep. I successfully changed my 4/19 configuration to AWD (sort of - I may need to reconfigure, the rep wasn't positive, but they had a process for people like me). I was told something incredibly interesting that I thought others would want to know. Going forward there is no longer any priority given to employees, owners, or any geographic regions within the US. Invites to configure will be solely based on the date and time of your reservation.

I was rather annoyed by my "delayed to July email" from yesterday, but this more than makes up for it. It was surprising how non-owner line waiters were able to configure AWD and performance cars yesterday, but now it makes sense. I'm a pre-reveal online reservation and I have a feeling I'll be re-invited shortly.

I could see this making some people upset, mainly employees/owners who may not have reserved day 1, but have still been waiting a long time and are expecting priority, but for most of us this is a great thing. It also will drastically simplify things for Tesla, less to keep track of.

Last thing, I was told that it could take up to 9 additional months to receive my new invitation to configure. Crazy, but they said that was what they had to tell everyone, and that it would likely take much less for me since I have such an early reservation.

I just got off the phone with a Tesla rep. I successfully changed my 4/19 configuration to AWD (sort of - I may need to reconfigure, the rep wasn't positive, but they had a process for people like me). I was told something incredibly interesting that I thought others would want to know. Going forward there is no longer any priority given to employees, owners, or any geographic regions within the US. Invites to configure will be solely based on the date and time of your reservation.

I was rather annoyed by my "delayed to July email" from yesterday, but this more than makes up for it. It was surprising how non-owner line waiters were able to configure AWD and performance cars yesterday, but now it makes sense. I'm a pre-reveal online reservation and I have a feeling I'll be re-invited shortly.

I could see this making some people upset, mainly employees/owners who may not have reserved day 1, but have still been waiting a long time and are expecting priority, but for most of us this is a great thing. It also will drastically simplify things for Tesla, less to keep track of.

Last thing, I was told that it could take up to 9 additional months to receive my new invitation to configure. Crazy, but they said that was what they had to tell everyone, and that it would likely take much less for me since I have such an early reservation.
Wait...what?

date/time reservation? That's not true. I was 2nd in line at Chicago's Grand Avenue location on 3/31. People before me have been able to configure AWD.

Geeesshhhh.....maybe I should call Tesla. This would make the reservations flow from East Coast to West Coast since it was 9AM on the east coast before anywhere else in the country.

Wait...what?

date/time reservation? That's not true. I was 2nd in line at Chicago's Grand Avenue location on 3/31. People before me have been able to configure AWD.

Geeesshhhh.....maybe I should call Tesla. This would make the reservations flow from East Coast to West Coast since it was 9AM on the east coast before anywhere else in the country.

Yeah I don't know how time zones are dealt with. Maybe they're correcting for that - although it sounds like not based on your situation. They must still be batching people in some way, maybe blocks of time, who knows. I'm sure you'll be in the next group whenever that is.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Yeah I don't know how time zones are dealt with. Maybe they're correcting for that - although it sounds like not based on your situation. They must still be batching people in some way, maybe blocks of time, who knows. I'm sure you'll be in the next group whenever that is.

All I can say is - hopefully.

It would have been nice to get some kind of notification from Tesla that they are totally changing the configuration ordering process, however I suppose they can do whatever they want whenever they want.

I don't know how they could do that without some major backlash. There are likely lots of people who wanted AWD or STD battery and bought Model S/X in order to get the promised priority. If they bought like 6 months ago they'd be like moved 300,000 places back in the queue. Doesn't seem likely.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
The rep I spoke with seemed very confident. They said they were planning on getting an AWD Model 3 themselves, but hadn't put in a reservation because they figured they could skip the line when AWD configurations went live. Good for us, bad for them!

I don't know how they could do that without some major backlash. There are likely lots of people who wanted AWD or STD battery and bought Model S/X in order to get the promised priority. If they bought like 6 months ago they'd be like moved 300,000 places back in the queue. Doesn't seem likely.

What do you want me to say, this is directly from Tesla. Call them yourself. I think they are finally confident enough in their ramp (brand new orders taking less than 6 months), that they think the difference will be negligible for most people. Priority makes sense for the first run, when you're really the first people to get the car, but at some point you can't re-prioritize everyone over and over again. Should they go back through the list in order when they have white interior, and again for standard range, and again for air suspension. It get's a little silly.

The rep I spoke with seemed very confident. They said they were planning on getting an AWD Model 3 themselves, but hadn't put in a reservation because they figured they could skip the line when AWD configurations went live. Good for us, bad for them!

What do you want me to say, this is directly from Tesla. Call them yourself. I think they are finally confident enough in their ramp (brand new orders taking less than 6 months), that they think the difference will be negligible for most people. Priority makes sense for the first run, when you're really the first people to get the car, but at some point you can't re-prioritize everyone over and over again. Should they go back through the list in order when they have white interior, and again for standard range, and again for air suspension. It get's a little silly.

Well, for perspective... I am owner, ordered online wee-hours of 4/1 (5AM PST) and no invite yet for any configuration. They are still VERY early in queue....

The sheer volume of wildly incorrect information that has come out of Tesla reps over the years causes me to not believe a word they say... and they almost always seem confident about their "information."

Well, for perspective... I am owner, ordered online wee-hours of 4/1 (5AM PST) and no invite yet for any configuration. They are still VERY early in queue....

You haven't even been invited to order first production? That can't be right, I remember in February they were inviting people who had just bought and S/X and then immediately reserved a 3 who were invited to configure within a week.

The sheer volume of wildly incorrect information that has come out of Tesla reps over the years causes me to not believe a word they say... and they almost always seem confident about their "information."

Yes, I've heard plenty of stories, so I guess this should be taken with a grain of salt, but so far it mostly lines up with the people who have been invited to configure AWD/Performance. If it's true it will be apparent soon enough.

Reactions: kingjamez
I'm going to call myself and see what response I get.

Maybe we can average the different responses and run a raffle as to which rep is more correct......lol

and if you actually parse what was said in the initial post in this thread - it really sounds to me like the tesla rep was talking about NEW reservations from this point. Which SHOULDN'T be given any sort of priority. The bulk of the folks on this board have already got a reservation. That's different than not having yet been invited to configure, or have been invited but deferred for AWD preference.

I am a three time Tesla owner, currently with a MS and MX. First day online reservation the moment they opened, with ability to configure RWD since December. I did not receive any notice of ability to configure AWD / Performance, but went to check as others were reporting they were able to. When I signed in it appeared that AWD option was initially there under configure when I signed in. Weirdly, while looking at the options, the page suddenly refreshed and the option was gone and greyed out again. I tried clearing cache and trying again, but it remained greyed out. Bummer.

• Informative
Reactions: suwaneedad
and if you actually parse what was said in the initial post in this thread - it really sounds to me like the tesla rep was talking about NEW reservations from this point. Which SHOULDN'T be given any sort of priority. The bulk of the folks on this board have already got a reservation. That's different than not having yet been invited to configure, or have been invited but deferred for AWD preference.

Already forgetting exact wording, but it was very clear that that is not what they meant. Priority was only being given on first production cars, full stop. Whether they were telling me bad info or not I can't be certain, but that is what I was told.

The bulk of folks on this board have already got a reservation? That doesn't sound true. Where are you getting this info?

EXACTLY! If you read Elon Musk on twitter he responded to a question about this. Person asked "if I preordered a Tesla Dual Motor today or Asap, when would the rough estimated arrival be". AND HE SAID " Depends on when you placed your initial reservation. We start delivering dual motor model 3 in July. "

I just called tesla:

First of all I heard this from the sales recording:

For the AWARD WINNING Model S press 1.
For the REVOLUTIONARY Model X press 2.
For the model 3 press 3.

That in itself is hilarious. I pressed 3.

I got a sales rep and asked her when I would be available to order the Performance "all buttons checked" model 3 and surprisingly to me she asked for my Reservation number:

I provided her my number and she put me on hold. She came back around 2 min later and told me this:

The opportunity to receive an invite to configure Performance or AWD is going out based on when the reservation was made. She said that invites obviously started on the East Coast first since the stores opened on the east coast first. Then she said something unusual and that is that the plan for delivery of these versions aren't planed to start until well into the end of the 3rd quarter - based on the time of reservation. ( in other words .... east coast first ).

I asked her why she said it like that and she replied verbatim....."We have become aware that there are many people who have made a reservation of the current model 3 and are calling in to change their reservation to the AWD or Performance version - which would essentially allow them to jump the line on receiving their vehicles earlier. We are allowing all who haven't received their VIN or Delivery to do so at this time, however reserve the right to change this direction if necessary.

"We want to assure all Model 3 AWD and Performance reservationists that these versions have been thoroughly tested and no longer requires testing through an employee test and anomaly program". "We aim to respect early reservation holders as was the original plan and ensure them that their commitment to Tesla will be replicated".

I then wanted to re-assure myself from the script she was reading from and asked her to break it down in laymen's terms. She said: ok.

"First come first served".

Pause Pause Pause.......

I said. That's it?

She replied "Yep"

I asked....now for those who reserved online....how will that work?

She replied "The online reservation didn't open until all of the stores were closed....so it would have been impossible for online to have been mixed with those who waited in line or went into a store at any point during the day on 3/31/21016".

After a little more dialogue.....That was it.

Your statement about priority is not true. Employees already were given configuration for AWD last year and they will get their AWD cars first. Same goes for SR battery