Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes to invite priority, now only effected by date/time of reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your statement about priority is not true. Employees already were given configuration for AWD last year and they will get their AWD cars first. Same goes for SR battery
That disagrees with what the sales rep just told me.

She explicitly said that Tesla used their employees to evaluate the current model 3 version and that that testing initiative is no longer necessary....so they are now performing the original plan.

I just called tesla:

First of all I heard this from the sales recording:

For the AWARD WINNING Model S press 1.
For the REVOLUTIONARY Model X press 2.
For the model 3 press 3.

That in itself is hilarious. I pressed 3.

I got a sales rep and asked her when I would be available to order the Performance "all buttons checked" model 3 and surprisingly to me she asked for my Reservation number:

I provided her my number and she put me on hold. She came back around 2 min later and told me this:

The opportunity to receive an invite to configure Performance or AWD is going out based on when the reservation was made. She said that invites obviously started on the East Coast first since the stores opened on the east coast first. Then she said something unusual and that is that the plan for delivery of these versions aren't planed to start until well into the end of the 3rd quarter - based on the time of reservation. ( in other words .... east coast first ).

I asked her why she said it like that and she replied verbatim....."We have become aware that there are many people who have made a reservation of the current model 3 and are calling in to change their reservation to the AWD or Performance version - which would essentially allow them to jump the line on receiving their vehicles earlier. We are allowing all who haven't received their VIN or Delivery to do so at this time, however reserve the right to change this direction if necessary.

"We want to assure all Model 3 AWD and Performance reservationists that these versions have been thoroughly tested and no longer requires testing through an employee test and anomaly program". "We aim to respect early reservation holders as was the original plan and ensure them that their commitment to Tesla will be replicated".

I then wanted to re-assure myself from the script she was reading from and asked her to break it down in laymen's terms. She said: ok.

"First come first served".

Pause Pause Pause.......

I said. That's it?

She replied "Yep"

I asked....now for those who reserved online....how will that work?

She replied "The online reservation didn't open until all of the stores were closed....so it would have been impossible for online to have been mixed with those who waited in line or went into a store at any point during the day on 3/31/21016".

After a little more dialogue.....That was it.

Awesome info, I feel vindicated, thanks for calling.
Sounds like they're gearing up for an insane end to Q3, hopefully I stand some chance of getting mine in Q3 as an online pre-reveal reservation. Especially if I am in a sense jumping the line a little bit.

Also, a silly aside, it looks like the Honolulu Tesla store opened in late 2015 and is open until 9pm - well after online reservations opened.

Your statement about priority is not true. Employees already were given configuration for AWD last year and they will get their AWD cars first. Same goes for SR battery

Yeah I was discussing employee reservations in another thread. Technically if they reserved first, it wouldn't necessarily have anything to do with the fact that they're employees. It's going by date and time and they had an earlier date.

I reserved online pre-reveal, got the invite on 4/15, and configured on 4/16. I don't have a VIN yet. I called Tesla on Friday and asked the same questions. At first I was told that I could not switch to AWD. When I pressed (nicely) and asked if anyone there could help me since my "3-6 week" delivery "estimate" is not going to be met, I was put on hold. After a couple of minutes, the sales agent came back, apologized for the hold, and told me that my reservation could be deferred for AWD, that Tesla would keep my current deposit, and that I would be looking at about "9 months" until I receive the AWD version, but it could be sooner.

The problem for me is that seeing how delivery estimates have gone so far, "9 months" frightens me. Even if they were on time with that date, I wouldn't receive the full federal tax incentive. I'm already going to miss the WA state sales tax incentive because they couldn't complete my "3-6 week" delivery. As much as I want AWD, I just don't think it's worth the risk of missing out on $3,750 of the federal tax incentive.

I think we can all agree that this makes zero sense and will get changed. A long time owner of multiple vehicles like Bonnie should not be #100,000 in line now. If Elon, Franz and the rest of team did not reserve 2 at the time they technically would be at the back of the line.

So I can skip the line if I configure a LR RWD and then call and switch to AWD on the phone?
Hard to say, it's more of a deferment, might just slot you in when you would have gotten invited anyway. I don't think it's really a loophole, more of a courtesy "yes fine we'll take you're extra $5k and hold onto your $2.5k for a few months, and we'll get you your car when we're good and ready."

Basically I have no idea if I'm going to get the car earlier than if I hadn't already configured, but I assume I won't get it any later.

I reserved online pre-reveal, got the invite on 4/15, and configured on 4/16. I don't have a VIN yet. I called Tesla on Friday and asked the same questions. At first I was told that I could not switch to AWD. When I pressed (nicely) and asked if anyone there could help me since my "3-6 week" delivery "estimate" is not going to be met, I was put on hold. After a couple of minutes, the sales agent came back, apologized for the hold, and told me that my reservation could be deferred for AWD, that Tesla would keep my current deposit, and that I would be looking at about "9 months" until I receive the AWD version, but it could be sooner.

The problem for me is that seeing how delivery estimates have gone so far, "9 months" frightens me. Even if they were on time with that date, I wouldn't receive the full federal tax incentive. I'm already going to miss the WA state sales tax incentive because they couldn't complete my "3-6 week" delivery. As much as I want AWD, I just don't think it's worth the risk of missing out on $3,750 of the federal tax incentive.

I was also given the 9 month spiel. I'm not worried, that seems highly unlikely if you're a day one line waiter. 9 months would be 2019, and would definitely miss out on half the credit. I'm not up for that, I'll switch back if it comes to it. These are high margin cars that Tesla really wants to sell. They're going to make them as fast as they can.

I think we can all agree that this makes zero sense and will get changed. A long time owner of multiple vehicles like Bonnie should not be #100,000 in line now. If Elon, Franz and the rest of team did not reserve 2 at the time they technically would be at the back of the line.

I definitely disagree. Owners got a huge priority advantage for many months. If you wanted to have the coolest car on the block you had your chance. Now it's time to get serious and crank these cars out as fast as possible starting with the people who have been waiting the longest.

Reactions: McRat
I was also given the 9 month spiel. I'm not worried, that seems highly unlikely if you're a day one line waiter. 9 months would be 2019, and would definitely miss out on half the credit.
Just doing the math doesn't really add up to 9 months. Pre-reveal is in the first 100k or so reservations. How many people ordered the 1st production? 30k? How many people are waiting for SR? 20-30k? So there're maybe 40-50k who want dual motor? I guess from that point, it depends where you are slotted in that list, and how many dual motors they make per month. Also, I'm sure there are quite a number in that original 100k who canceled or will cancel their reservation...

• Helpful
Reactions: Data
So I can skip the line if I configure a LR RWD and then call and switch to AWD on the phone?

Apparently yes. Tell all your friends. The rest of us guys who have early reservation anyway and bought Model S to get bumped up just a bit will hang out here looking like gullible schmucks. (Tongue in cheek -- I did get a Model S and it is the shinzz ;)).

• Funny
Reactions: BitShop
Day 1 pre-reveal online reservation, current Model X owner. Online for me has consistently said mid 2018 and so far it seems no owners have been able to configure, even those who were second in line. Does anyone think they might offer white interior with non-p AWD for owners, make those first, and just send out invites later in like a week? Or some other incentive? I think it's odd that all these AWD orders say 12-16 weeks until delivery. Assuming they start being made July 30, that's still only 8-9 weeks until delivery. So why say 12-16 for the non-owners? It's like they're accounting for owners ordering, but for some mysterious reason have deliberately held off with the configs. Why I wonder?

@Garlan Garner it looks like we should be about number 5,000 (less people that ordered) on the list if it is based on time reserved.

Rough estimate of reservations based on Eastern Standard Time. Does not include employees that ordered before or people that made multiple reservations. It will include Canada and international orders that were in that time frame.

Reservation Time
10am EST: Zero
11am EST: 5,000 total
12pm EST: 11,000 total
1pm EST: 14,000 total
Online Opened: 39,000 total

More detailed information is found at Possible reservation number hint on My Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner

People who waited out in the 39 degree rain at 3AM while others slept would disagree.

Reactions: BHCLUC
Day 1 pre-reveal online reservation, current Model X owner. Online for me has consistently said mid 2018 and so far it seems no owners have been able to configure, even those who were second in line. Does anyone think they might offer white interior with non-p AWD for owners, make those first, and just send out invites later in like a week? Or some other incentive? I think it's odd that all these AWD orders say 12-16 weeks until delivery. Assuming they start being made July 30, that's still only 8-9 weeks until delivery. So why say 12-16 for the non-owners? It's like they're accounting for owners ordering, but for some mysterious reason have deliberately held off with the configs. Why I wonder?
Ahemm...

I was second in line in CHICAGO on grand avenue.

Chicago is NOT on the east coast. Chicago is an hour behind the east coast.

East Coast in-store reservationists were supposed to go first the last time, however Tesla changed the game........but not the rules of the game.

It appears that the rules of the game are back in play.

Reactions: Krash