Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes to invite priority, now only effected by date/time of reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone!
First-time poster, long-time lurker.

Just got off the phone with Tesla sales and they seem to have refined their statements a bit. Or maybe just my questions got more specific after reading everyone else's questions here, haha.

My rep repeated what has already been posted here: all previous priority considerations no longer applied for AWD/P models and that it was strictly the order that the reservations were made in.

However, new news: He stated that timezone differences will be taken into consideration.

Him: "...new invitations to configure AWD and Performance will be sent out in batches. Order will be determined by reservation time, but we are no longer prioritizing [I forgot what he said here, but it wasn't 'employees'], owners, or location.
Me: "Wait, not even location? Because technically New York line waiters were able to place orders three hours before California line waiters."
Him: "We are taking time zones into consideration."
Me: "Sorry, I have to make sure. Are you saying that 9AM Eastern Time will be treated like 9AM Pacific Time?"
Him: Yes."

He also confirmed and clarified that people who called in to switch orders from RWD to AWD/P were not cutting the line and were being placed in the order they would approximately be in if they had originally deferred RWD. The only difference being that they paid the $2500 sooner rather than later.

My interpretation of the situation:
  • Person 1 reserves first
  • Person 200 reserves later
  • Person 1 gets invited to configure RWD but deferrs
  • Person 200 gets invited a little bit later to configure RWD and proceeds
  • AWD gets announced shortly afterward
  • Person 200 calls in to change configuration to AWD
  • Person 1 eventually gets an invite to configure AWD and proceeds
Theoretically in this scenario Person 1 would be slotted *before* Person 200 for AWD production even though Person 200 switched first.

So this is in line with what was posted earlier.

Hopefully this extra info is useful to *somebody* out there.

Cheers!

Hey everyone!

Just got off the phone with Tesla sales and they seem to have refined their statements a bit. Or maybe just my questions got more specific after reading everyone else's questions here, haha.

My rep repeated what has already been posted here: all previous priority considerations no longer applied for AWD/P models and that it was strictly the order that the reservations were made in.

However, new news: He stated that timezone differences will be taken into consideration.

Him: "...new invitations to configure AWD and Performance will be sent out in batches. Order will be determined by reservation time, but we are no longer prioritizing [I forgot what he said here, but it wasn't 'employees'], owners, or location.
Me: "Wait, not even location? Because technically New York line waiters were able to place orders three hours before California line waiters."
Me: "Sorry, I have to make sure. Are you saying that 9AM Eastern Time will be treated like 9AM Pacific Time?"

He also confirmed and clarified that people who called in to switch orders from RWD to AWD/P were not cutting the line and were being placed in the order they would approximately be in if they had originally deferred RWD. The only difference being that they paid the $2500 sooner rather than later.

Theoretically in this scenario Person 1 would be slotted *before* Person 200 for AWD production even though Person 200 switched first.

Cheers!
How did you manage to call them? For me, if I click "option 3- model 3" it says "we aren't able to take calls right now due to high call volume, please call later". What number?

Edit: nevermind, I tried again and now I'm on hold. There must be a max number for the queue which was hit.

B

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

Cheers!
if mine says mid 2018 for AWD, means Jun 2018 +- 1~2 months? so latest would be August 15 to choose AWD option i suppose. lol. Wish Tesla would have place to check where I am at this moment!

How did you manage to call them? For me, if I click "option 3- model 3" it says "we aren't able to take calls right now due to high call volume, please call later". What number?

I called (888) 518-3752, but it was around the beginning of their business hours (maybe 90 minutes ago).
Despite that, there was already a wait time. I got the "We are experiencing high call volume" message but it didn't hang up on me.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
I also just got off the phone with them. And their response was , “they updated the delivery estimate to 4 months”. And every one that currently has a reservation, going to get an invite within the next 2 month (June - to mid July ). It sound like everyone is getting their cars around the same time.

• Informative
Reactions: sooner
What does all of this mean for those that are reservation holders still waiting on an invite for First Production model?

I’m curious as well since I have two reservations. One from my account in January and one on a friends account (current Tesla owner). Interested in first production and not awd. So should I assume that those reservations still fall under current owner priority and just not the awd a performance options?

You can call and change your order without cost and get anything you like.

Having not been invited to configure at all, there is no order to change.

Reserved August 2016, United States. If I was in Canada, order would be placed as anyone up to July 2017 has been invited. But since I am not, still waiting for a chance to even order the First Production. Seems that everyone placing orders for AWD or Performance after deferring is further delaying my reservation, which at the moment only feels slightly faster than if I reserved today...

Reserved August 2016, United States. If I was in Canada, order would be placed as anyone up to July 2017 has been invited. But since I am not, still waiting for a chance to even order the First Production. Seems that everyone placing orders for AWD or Performance after deferring is further delaying my reservation, which at the moment only feels slightly faster than if I reserved today...

I'm in a similar position, though I do want AWD. I reserved in May 2016 and have an estimate (Jul-Sep) for first production that is only a month sooner than people who reserved a year later than me. I'm really just hoping that I can get AWD before the end of the year if the full tax credit does indeed end up going through to December 31st.

Edit: nevermind, I tried again and now I'm on hold. There must be a max number for the queue which was hit.

B
Keep pressing ‘0’. It will repeat the menu 4-5 times, but eventually will put you through.

I wonder if Tesla can deliver all the LR US PUP black interior orders by year end? 5000 per week times 25 weeks is 125,000 cars. When you subtract all the non US reservations, subtract all the SR buyers and subtract all the non premium package buyers, my guess is they have to make the white interior available for non performance buyers before year end. Has anyone extrapolated one of the configuration polls like POLL: Model 3 Options, what will you spend your money on?

Last edited:
I was late into the Model 3 reservation game, but I quickly became a superfan, so I bought a $100,000+ Model X for the chance to be an early Model 3 owner. The priority they told me I would get was literally half the reason I bought the Model X. That will seem crazy to some, I know. But if they are going by timestamp only now, that is deeply upsetting.

I was late into the Model 3 reservation game, but I quickly became a superfan, so I bought a $100,000+ Model X for the chance to be an early Model 3 owner. The priority they told me I would get was literally half the reason I bought the Model X. That will seem crazy to some, I know. But if they are going by timestamp only now, that is deeply upsetting.

⬆ This. I bought Model S expecting priority even though I have a relatively early reservation (~8hr post reveal 4/1) anyway.

It appears they have made changes in the verbiage used on the Model 3 FAQ page.

Last Week:
How will I receive an invitation to configure my Model 3?
We will send you an invitation to configure your Model 3 to the email address you used to place your reservation. Confirm your email address is up to date here. Invitations will be sent based on the date and time you placed your reservation, whether you are an employee, if you own a Tesla, and if we have started production in your country.

Current:
We will send you an invitation to configure your Model 3 to the email address you used to place your reservation. Confirm your email address is up to date. Invitations will be sent based on the date and time you placed your reservation, and if we have started production for your country.

This blows.

⬆ This. I bought Model S expecting priority even though I have a relatively early reservation (~8hr post reveal 4/1) anyway.

It appears they have made changes in the verbiage used on the Model 3 FAQ page.

Last Week:
We will send you an invitation to configure your Model 3 to the email address you used to place your reservation. Confirm your email address is up to date here. Invitations will be sent based on the date and time you placed your reservation, whether you are an employee, if you own a Tesla, and if we have started production in your country.

Current:
We will send you an invitation to configure your Model 3 to the email address you used to place your reservation. Confirm your email address is up to date. Invitations will be sent based on the date and time you placed your reservation, and if we have started production for your country.

This blows.

Even the registration confirmation page states that as an owner you will get priority. Changing this behind the scenes and after the fact is a little messed up.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20180523-111049_Nine.jpg
    SmartSelect_20180523-111049_Nine.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: sigmo32