Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes to invite priority, now only effected by date/time of reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NO... forgive me....I was probably not clear.

Tesla says they know about this and when people do that......it won't move them up AT ALL in the line.

Okay, so how do you see this playing out for someone like me who configured over a month ago with every intention of getting a RWD car, but after being told my delivery was being delayed until July I decided to change to AWD. I didn't do this to try and game the system, just figured it they're going to make me wait this long anyway, I might as well get the car I really wanted to begin with (but didn't think I had the patience to wait for).

• Disagree
Reactions: Krash and McRat
Okay, so how do you see this playing out for someone like me who configured over a month ago with every intention of getting a RWD car, but after being told my delivery was being delayed until July I decided to change to AWD. I didn't do this to try and game the system, just figured it they're going to make me wait this long anyway, I might as well get the car I really wanted to begin with (but didn't think I had the patience to wait for).

The only thing I know is this. From the now 2 separate calls I've made to Tesla today. I'm getting the same story as the OP of this thread.

AWD and Performance will be filled based on when you reserve. ( original plan from day one )

RWD will be filled based on things like....employee / previous owner / location..... ( complying with Elon's tweets....and statements made during conference calls by various others )

Both sales reps assured that these are the official policies of Tesla - without knowing I talked with the other sales rep.

Sounds to me like a person is either in one camp or another and that there is no carryover between camps. If you jump camps you get new rules - at least that's how demonstrative they sounded about it. Now....should Tesla say something about this when a person jumps camps. My opinion: Absolutely. Will they? Who knows?

I'm a non-owner with a pre-reveal online reservation. I configured a RWD a few weeks ago and just called to switch to AWD. I was told that it was no problem since I hadn't received my vin. He had some kind of internal memo that estimated delivery time based on reservation # and it showed that I had an estimated 4 month delivery time for AWD and 6 month delivery time for Performance.

I'm a non-owner with a pre-reveal online reservation. I configured a RWD a few weeks ago and just called to switch to AWD. I was told that it was no problem since I hadn't received my vin. He had some kind of internal memo that estimated delivery time based on reservation # and it showed that I had an estimated 4 month delivery time for AWD and 6 month delivery time for Performance.
Sounds like we talked to the same person.

Tesla seems firm on this.

Same boat as me, but I don't think my rep had that memo yet, they just said "up to 9 months." Curious what date you were invited/configured if you don't mind? Trying to gauge if I can expect 4 months as well.

I just talked to a Tesla sales rep about changing and they said they will let us change, but they are forecasting at least 9 month before the AWD model will be available for those of us changing now...

Sounds like we talked to the same person.

Tesla seems firm on this.
Same. No VIN yet, called and was told 4 months from deferral date (Today). So, will full tax credits be around @ the end of September/October?

Don't think its any kind of RN based calculation. Same scripted answer that they tell everyone. I was in the same boat and told the same. thing. 2 days ago they said it was 9 month wait time. They must've updated their internal memo to say 4 months now.

I just called and was also told 4 months from the date of deferment and that "priority" is based solely on reservation number. I went ahead and switched to AWD.

Based on this, does sound like any of us could go ahead and pull the trigger on what's in our configurator now, and then call and change. It sounds like the worst case is - we get the exact same priority for delivery, but at least get out of this waiting for the configurator to open for us individually game. The 9-month window quoted earlier made me worried it was like getting back at the end of the line, but this sounds like you maybe don't "jump the line" - but at least stop wondering when/why you'll be able to hit the configure button...

Based on this, does sound like any of us could go ahead and pull the trigger on what's in our configurator now, and then call and change. It sounds like the worst case is - we get the exact same priority for delivery, but at least get out of this waiting for the configurator to open for us individually game. The 9-month window quoted earlier made me worried it was like getting back at the end of the line, but this sounds like you maybe don't "jump the line" - but at least stop wondering when/why you'll be able to hit the configure button...
Actually, that's not correct. What they do is move you from your configured "first production RWD" to "deferred AWD". You will then be invited to configure your AWD at a later time.

Actually, that's not correct. What they do is move you from your configured "first production RWD" to "deferred AWD". You will then be invited to configure your AWD at a later time.
Oh, thanks for the clarification, I was thinking they had just updated your configuration. Will be interested to see how that plays out, so at this point, you're back to nothing confirmed, as if they just "undid" your prior order and put you back like you had been waiting?

Did they mention how that will play out with your 2,500 deposit? Will they refund the one from a few weeks ago and have you pay again when re-invited?

I'm an owner AND I stood in a line. I guess I get extra credit??

As long as the reservation number truely is the deciding factor for dual motor, I'm ok with it. Then again... If owners get preference, I'm ok with that too

At this stage it is what it is. The expectation set by quickly being able to configure after placing my order for the RWD model set my expectation that they would just use the same list of "waiting to configure" based on the date they opened the configuration for you initially. Still no indication that this is not true really as no one has compared dates that the configuration was opened to them, everyone is focused on dates and times of placing reservations. It would also be like Tesla to use the indication that you are waiting in the configurator as opposed to just doing nothing to somehow be used in their prioritization as well.

I did not reserve early in any way and don't need the car yet, but I am going to be disappointed if delivery ends up falling outside full tax credit window.

hmm about the east coast thing... what is the most westward configuration of AWD that was successful that we know of?

Good point. Its possible it was East Coast only. The most westward I've read is Ohio.

Ryan Mcaffery.

He lives in California. There is a lot of guessing as to how a friend helped him. I asked him to help us do the same....however at this point......I don't care.

Maybe he used a current owner's reservation who is on the East Coast?

Reactions: Garlan Garner