Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes to invite priority, now only effected by date/time of reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a non-owner with a pre-reveal online reservation. I configured a RWD a few weeks ago and just called to switch to AWD. I was told that it was no problem since I hadn't received my vin. He had some kind of internal memo that estimated delivery time based on reservation # and it showed that I had an estimated 4 month delivery time for AWD and 6 month delivery time for Performance.
Same

Ok....for the 10 - 20 of you who have enough money to do so......you have a point.

My opinion.......this car is reaching down to the masses of those who don't have the financial opportunities of said people. Not everyone can buy opportunity so to me it would be a nice gesture for Tesla to notice those who sacrifice their sleep / time and possibly well being to join their family of ownership. I have always been one who shuns financial leverage because a persons financial position is not always because of their efforts or lack of. A multimillionaire at our church died happy and penniless after making tons of mortgage payments of those losing their homes during the housing crisis. He saved countless families from destitution and homelessness as in their eyes he was a true hero.

I don't want to debate money vs. effort because there is no real answer that fits all situations.

Yeah, I don't know how I feel about this exactly. I could not have waited in line if I wanted to (and probably still wouldn't have), but I ordered online pre-reveal and have owned my Model S for almost 5 years now. I've been supportive of the company for a long time, though not as long as many others here like Bonnie. I appreciate the people like you who sat out in the rain in near freezing temperatures and feel you deserve something for that, but this seems like a bit of bait-and-switch to those of us owners who've been waiting for AWD and thought we had priority.

Now, do I think somebody who first bought a Model S/X in April should get priority over you? Absolutely not.

But then, I suppose the goal should be to get a Tesla into as many hands as possible, and I would be a net zero for them as I will be trading my Model S in on my Model 3, so they're still going to have to sell a car after the transaction is complete with me.

As would those of us who have spent $250k on Teslas already, while others just stood in a line ;)

For the 10-20 of you who have the money to do so.......you have a point.

My opinion.......this car is reaching down to the masses of those who don't have the financial opportunities of such people. Not everyone can afford to buy opportunity - so to me it would be a nice gesture for Tesla to notice the sacrifice of sleep / time and possibly well being of those clamoring to join the Tesla family any way they can. I have always been one who shuns financial leverage because a persons financial position in the world. A multimillionaire at our church died happy and penniless after making tons of mortgage payments of those losing their homes during the housing crisis. He saved countless families from destitution and homelessness and in their eyes - was a true hero.

It's my hope and expectation that Tesla provides identical opportunities and appreciation to the "haves" and the "have barely enoughs". Time out for affluence seemingly making a bigger splash when compared to those who only have effort and sacrifice to give.

I don't want to debate money vs. effort because there is no real answer that fits all situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cintoman
For the 10-20 of you who have the money to do so.......you have a point.

My opinion.......this car is reaching down to the masses of those who don't have the financial opportunities of such people. Not everyone can buy opportunity so to me it would be a nice gesture for Tesla to notice the sacrifice of sleep / time and possibly well being of those clamoring to join the Tesla family. I have always been one who shuns financial leverage because a persons financial position in the world. A multimillionaire at our church died happy and penniless after making tons of mortgage payments of those losing their homes during the housing crisis. He saved countless families from destitution and homelessness as in their eyes he was a true hero.

It's my hope and expectation that Tesla provides identical opportunities and appreciation to the "haves" and the "have enoughs". Time out for affluence seemingly making a bigger splash when compared to those who only have effort and sacrifice to give.

What about those of us who don't come from money (my most expensive car before the Tesla was a 10 year old Dodge that cost $20k when new), still worked hard to buy a Model S in 2012 when very few people belived in Tesla's longevity, and also got up at an awful hour to stand in line in the cold?

Reactions: Garlan Garner
What about those of us who don't come from money (my most expensive car before the Tesla was a 10 year old Dodge that cost $20k when new), still worked hard to buy a Model S in 2012 when very few people belived in Tesla's longevity, and also got up at an awful hour to stand in line in the cold?
My desire is:

Everyone gets the same piece of the Tesla pie as far as priority - no matter if you have $250k in cars or waited out in the cold and rain for 5 hours just to get the $35k version.

It appears that Tesla is doing so...by allowing the design studio to open up as "first who showed up in the reservation list.....first served. .

Not first owned first served...... not first worked for me first served...... not who lives closest to the factory first served.

My desire is:

Everyone gets the same piece of the Tesla pie as far as priority - no matter if you have $250k in cars or waited out in the cold and rain for 5 hours just to get the $35k version.

It appears that Tesla is doing so...by allowing the design studio to open up as "first who showed up in the reservation list.....first served. .

Not first owned first served...... not first worked for me first served...... not who lives closest to the factory first served.

How is that fair with the time zones? The stores opened at different times and it was impossible for someone on the west coast to order before the east coast. And tesla had already announced that the west coast would get priority, so it wouldn't make sense to fly there to make a reservation either.

How is that fair with the time zones? The stores opened at different times and it was impossible for someone on the west coast to order before the east coast. And tesla had already announced that the west coast would get priority, so it wouldn't make sense to fly there to make a reservation either.
Fair?

Reservations occurred East to West - is that fair?

Deliveries occured West to East - Is that fair?

So....who is never first? People in the middle. - is that fair?

Which one is fair to you? Pick one.

Performance and AWD configuration will be offered based on who reserved first. Is that fair?

Last edited:
Fair?

Reservations occurred East to West - is that fair?

No.

Deliveries occur[r]ed West to East - Is that fair?

Maybe.

So....who is never first? People in the middle. - is that fair?

No. But they are also never last in either of your above scenarios.

Which one is fair to you? Pick one.

The rules were already announced before reservations started. Employees get priority. Owners get priority. Wait in line at the store and get priority. Everyone knew this going in. Why is it not fair to just follow-through with whatever was established from the beginning?

Performance and AWD configuration will be offered based on who reserved first. Is that fair?

Only if everyone had the ability to reserve at the same time (if online reservations were open first, for example)

Without normalizing between the timezones, even people who camped out on the West Coast would have a later reservation time than people who waltz into a store at noon on the East Coast. Now, that would definitely be unfair.

What they do is move you from your configured "first production RWD" to "deferred AWD". You will then be invited to configure your AWD at a later time.
That's not what I got from my conversation with the ISA I spoke with. I specifically asked if I would receive an email and be asked to configure again and he said no. He said that it will be my exact same configuration that I have now, but with AWD added, and that I will receive a call once the car is ready for delivery in September. Here is the precise text of the email I received after the call (emphasis his):

"I went ahead and deferred your order for the All-Wheel Drive option. There is an estimated delivery timeline of 4 months from the day of deferment. There will be an additional $5,000 price point added to the price of the vehicle. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!"

My desire is:

Well that's a view. If it were me, I would focus on the customers that have the highest lifetime value for the company. That's just what I would do.

In the end, it is what it is, and I will either wait the additional time or buy something else. Same decision everyone else has.

No.

Maybe.

No. But they are also never last in either of your above scenarios.

The rules were already announced before reservations started. Employees get priority. Owners get priority. Wait in line at the store and get priority. Everyone knew this going in. Why is it not fair to just follow-through with whatever was established from the beginning?

Only if everyone had the ability to reserve at the same time (if online reservations were open first, for example)

Without normalizing between the timezones, even people who camped out on the West Coast would have a later reservation time than people who waltz into a store at noon on the East Coast. Now, that would definitely be unfair.
LOL...wow!!

Copy and paste and insert my response from the post below.

Last edited:
Well that's a view. If it were me, I would focus on the customers that have the highest lifetime value for the company. That's just what I would do.

In the end, it is what it is, and I will either wait the additional time or buy something else. Same decision everyone else has.
Good enough.

I'm learning a ton as to how people rationalize. I am shocked more and more each day......as its making more and more sense as to why Tesla is doing what its doing and why we are where we are as a nation of people.

I just called tesla:

First of all I heard this from the sales recording:

For the AWARD WINNING Model S press 1.
For the REVOLUTIONARY Model X press 2.
For the model 3 press 3.

That in itself is hilarious. I pressed 3.

I got a sales rep and asked her when I would be available to order the Performance "all buttons checked" model 3 and surprisingly to me she asked for my Reservation number:

I provided her my number and she put me on hold. She came back around 2 min later and told me this:

The opportunity to receive an invite to configure Performance or AWD is going out based on when the reservation was made. She said that invites obviously started on the East Coast first since the stores opened on the east coast first. Then she said something unusual and that is that the plan for delivery of these versions aren't planed to start until well into the end of the 3rd quarter - based on the time of reservation. ( in other words .... east coast first ).

I asked her why she said it like that and she replied verbatim....."We have become aware that there are many people who have made a reservation of the current model 3 and are calling in to change their reservation to the AWD or Performance version - which would essentially allow them to jump the line on receiving their vehicles earlier. We are allowing all who haven't received their VIN or Delivery to do so at this time, however reserve the right to change this direction if necessary.

"We want to assure all Model 3 AWD and Performance reservationists that these versions have been thoroughly tested and no longer requires testing through an employee test and anomaly program". "We aim to respect early reservation holders as was the original plan and ensure them that their commitment to Tesla will be replicated".

I then wanted to re-assure myself from the script she was reading from and asked her to break it down in laymen's terms. She said: ok.

"First come first served".

Pause Pause Pause.......

I said. That's it?

She replied "Yep"

I asked....now for those who reserved online....how will that work?

She replied "The online reservation didn't open until all of the stores were closed....so it would have been impossible for online to have been mixed with those who waited in line or went into a store at any point during the day on 3/31/21016".

After a little more dialogue.....That was it.

I may need to call, then.

I reserved in-store at 10:25am ET 3/31/2016.

In the intervening 2+ years, I became an owner of a CPO S.

AWD is still greyed out for me.

Whether we are using the old metrics or the new, my Design Studio should have allowed me to place my order in this first wave.

*sigh*

• Love
Reactions: mahagala

Weird....I bet you weren't this upset during First Production, when people who just happened to live close to Fremont were getting priority.

It's someone else's turn to receive a dose of "fair".

Reactions: NewTMSMan
I may need to call, then.
I reserved in-store at 10:25am ET 3/31/2016.
In the intervening 2+ years, I became an owner of a CPO S.
AWD is still greyed out for me.
Whether we are using the old metrics or the new, my Design Studio should have allowed me to place my order in this first wave.
*sigh*

You should be about ~#2,500 on the list. I would expect your invite in the second batch. I am a 11:04 ET (~#4,500) and did not get the invite yet.

You should be about ~#2,500 on the list. I would expect your invite in the second batch. I am a 11:04 ET (~#4,500) and did not get the invite yet.

If they're going to be at 5,000 cars per week by the time they're doing this, assuming the week starts on Sunday, my car should be a mid-week build. aka, should still have been in wave 1.

It's ok. I need my CD to mature in mid-June before I can finalize the purchase anyway. I'd love to have the car before mid-September.