Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes to invite priority, now only effected by date/time of reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WHoooHooooo!!!!

I just configured my Performance Model 3.

I think I'm crying...…..

I received my email to configure this evening at 6:45.
About dang time! As soon as I read that Chicagoans were ordering, I searched to see if you were one of the lucky ones. Congrats! I'm thinking I've got a couple more days before I can configure. Have to decide between Perf & white (YOLO!) or just AWD & black.

What color combo did you end up going with, and AP or no AP?

Reactions: sundaymorning
About dang time! As soon as I read that Chicagoans were ordering, I searched to see if you were one of the lucky ones. Congrats! I'm thinking I've got a couple more days before I can configure. Have to decide between Perf & white (YOLO!) or just AWD & black.

What color combo did you end up going with, and AP or no AP?

Your Model 3

Long Range Battery
Premium Upgrades
Pearl White Paint
20’’ Sport Wheels
Enhanced Autopilot
All-Wheel Drive
Performance
Premium White Interior
Carbon Fiber Spoiler

compositor

⬆ This. I bought Model S expecting priority even though I have a relatively early reservation (~8hr post reveal 4/1) anyway.

It appears they have made changes in the verbiage used on the Model 3 FAQ page.

Last Week:
How will I receive an invitation to configure my Model 3?
We will send you an invitation to configure your Model 3 to the email address you used to place your reservation. Confirm your email address is up to date here. Invitations will be sent based on the date and time you placed your reservation, whether you are an employee, if you own a Tesla, and if we have started production in your country.

Current:
How will I receive an invitation to configure my Model 3?
We will send you an invitation to configure your Model 3 to the email address you used to place your reservation. Confirm your email address is up to date. Invitations will be sent based on the date and time you placed your reservation, and if we have started production for your country.

This blows.
The following goes against what other people have heard, but I figured I'd share what my conversation was like on the phone with Tesla:
Me: Hey, I'm a current X owner, awaiting my Model 3 dual motor invitation. I have heard of non-owners that have been able to configure their dual motor car already, but the dual motor options still isn't available to me...
Tesla: The only people that are able to order dual motor right now are the people that have ordered their LR RWD Model 3 recently and have changed their mind and want to wait for the dual motor. If they haven't received a VIN yet, we are letting them go into the configurator and change their reservation to a dual motor. But they will still be put in a queue behind people like you, who have received their invitation to configure but chose the "hold my place" option.
Me: So owners still have a priority? Or are first day reservation holders now getting a priority above current owners?
Tesla: The priority basically already "occurred". You were placed into the queue back when you received your original invitation to configure. The queue is based on WHEN you received your invitation to configure.

Anyway I know this may raise more questions than anything but thought I'd share.

Based on those who reported so far, below is a list showing their reservation time as a line waiter on the 1st day, and they’ve gotten their AWD invite. Looks like no Mountain Time zone or Pacific Time zone yet.

Eastern Time
12:05
12:00
11:38
11:30
10:52
10:35
10:30
10:25
10:20
10:06
10:00
8:05

Central Time
9:00

Based on those who reported so far, below is a list showing their reservation time as a line waiter on the 1st day, and they’ve gotten their AWD invite. Looks like no Mountain Time zone or Pacific Time zone yet.

Eastern Time
12:05
12:00
11:38
11:30
10:52
10:35
10:25
10:20
10:06
10:00
8:05

Central Time
9:00

Interesting. It appears that they aren't taking time zones into consideration. With that said, I think PST reservations will open up as soon as we cross into the 1pm EST orders, since our stores opened up at 10am PST. Maybe today?

Just a data point:

In-store (EDT, Dedham, MA), 10:35am EDT, non-owner, non-employee reservation. I got my initial invite to configure on 3/22/18. I deferred, as I am waiting for AWD, SR and White interior. I DO have the option to configure AWD and Performance. Choosing either, gives me a 12-16 week delivery time. Choosing RWD gives me 3-6 weeks.

--Cintoman

What about those of us who don't come from money (my most expensive car before the Tesla was a 10 year old Dodge that cost $20k when new), still worked hard to buy a Model S in 2012 when very few people belived in Tesla's longevity, and also got up at an awful hour to stand in line in the cold?
Wait what?

Those who don't come from money? That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Let me state it again.

Those who don't come from money should have a chance at a Tesla.....especially this model. $35k ( although expensive ) should be an option. As of today "right now" Tesla STILL has no model that reaches down to those who are scraping the bottom of the barrel to become a Tesla owner.

That's what I was saying and that's what I said, however I had to state it in a language that the "affluent" understands.

It doesn't help anybody if Tesla sells the $35k version now and goes out of business. I'm sure if they could sell it and make money, they would. They have stated several times they will sell it 3-6 months after they hit 5k/week consistently. So based on their latest estimates, they should be producing the SR version in the Oct-Dec time frame...I'm guessing late December so they can say they released it in 2018.

Wait what?

Those who don't come from money? That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Let me state it again.

Those who don't come from money should have a chance at a Tesla.....especially this model. $35k ( although expensive ) should be an option. As of today "right now" Tesla STILL has no model that reaches down to those who are scraping the bottom of the barrel to become a Tesla owner.

That's what I was saying and that's what I said, however I had to state it in a language that the "affluent" understands.

Why exactly? There are other, less expensive options for someone wanting an electric car and cannot afford a Model 3. No one is “entitled” to own a Tesla. I didnt come from money, far from it. If I didn’t make enough $$ to afford one then so be it. I certainly wouldn’t expect a company to lose money on a vehicle just so I could afford one. While we are at it everyone should have the chance to own a Ferrari or Aston Martin.

Reactions: brkaus
Why exactly? There are other, less expensive options for someone wanting an electric car and cannot afford a Model 3. No one is “entitled” to own a Tesla. I didnt come from money, far from it. If I didn’t make enough $$ to afford one then so be it. I certainly wouldn’t expect a company to lose money on a vehicle just so I could afford one. While we are at it everyone should have the chance to own a Ferrari or Aston Martin.

Ok...make sure you quote me properly....I said absolutely nothing about entitlement.

The Model 3 ( as quoted by tesla ) is supposed to be a mass produced affordable opportunity for EV ownership. Now....as it compares to the Model S and Model X and the roadster....it can/has/will be just that. $35k reaches far more people than what the Model S and X have. Period. There is no room to argue about that point.....as it is just true.

NOW....if anyone wants to take things out of context and say that the Model 3 is a solution for Everything to Everyone.....then you will have to have that debate alone.

If you can't afford one...then you can't buy one. That's true for anything.

Only quote what I write. Don't assume or interoperate.

Last edited:
It's possible that the slow rollout of D/P invites is only about configuration invites. Manufacturing could use its own queue — and almost certainly will, for things like wheels and paint. That manufacturing queue could still consider ownership and location too. We won't know until we have more data.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker