Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes To Model S battery pack after Gigafactory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm always interested what straubel has to say about what battery changes will be made w/the gigafactory, the increased form factor size, changes in casing etc. Has there anything been written on how this would change a future version of the current MS battery pack? I'm sure the pack would have some significant changes based on the increased form factor dimensions. Seeing that the Gigafactory's timeline has sped up, we could be seeing a possible significant improvement to the MS pack in a couple years. Has anyone seen anything on this?

I'm always interested what straubel has to say about what battery changes will be made w/the gigafactory, the increased form factor size, changes in casing etc. Has there anything been written on how this would change a future version of the current MS battery pack? I'm sure the pack would have some significant changes based on the increased form factor dimensions. Seeing that the Gigafactory's timeline has sped up, we could be seeing a possible significant improvement to the MS pack in a couple years. Has anyone seen anything on this?

These new batteries should be hitting MS and MX next year. It has been said that the first production will go to these models before the M3 is online. Surely there has to be some difference between a battery manufactured based on a 5 year old design versus those coming from a brand new state of the art facility? Inquiring minds want to know!

If they achieve their initial 30% cost reduction goals, they could knock a few thou off the base price of the car...
My expectation would be that the base price wouldn't be lowered, but things would be included like the tech package, lighting, and sensor suite. Perhaps even the premium sound.

If they achieve their initial 30% cost reduction goals, they could knock a few thou off the base price of the car...

Have you ever seen Apple lower the price of its flagship iPhone? Nope. Why would Tesla?

If anything, Tesla will simply reap a higher margin which would be welcome news to investors, or offer longer range at the same price. Remember, when Model 3 comes out, Model S will need to have a longer range and better performance in order to justify the higher ~$100k price.

My expectation would be that the base price wouldn't be lowered, but things would be included like the tech package, lighting, and sensor suite. Perhaps even the premium sound.
I initially thought along the same lines but knowing elons personality and missions of accelerating the worlds transition to electric vehicles it would be more than likely to say he will maximize the cost savings achieved by the gigafactory to enhance the user experience of all future users, That being said i expect the 85kwh to become standard for the model s. The next upgrade will be 105-110 Kwh and a 8000-12000 dollar increase in price. The upcoming model X will not have a 60kwh pack or 85 kwh Rather 90-05 Kwh starting to attain a reasonable and compelling product not hinged by range. We will only have to wait a couple months to see if in right! :biggrin:

Do you think there will be a glut of MS owner's wanting to trade in their pack for the new giga pack? I wonder what the old pack's trade-in value will be and how much will it cost to upgrade. And one thing I notice w/the earlier gigafactory timeline is the first Model X's will have the panasonic packs and then only a year later the GF will be running and the new packs will be out. Seeing how sooooo many P85 owners were miffed when the P85D was announced I wonder if the same thing will happen when the new GF packs arrive early.

Do you think there will be a glut of MS owner's wanting to trade in their pack for the new giga pack? I wonder what the old pack's trade-in value will be and how much will it cost to upgrade. And one thing I notice w/the earlier gigafactory timeline is the first Model X's will have the panasonic packs and then only a year later the GF will be running and the new packs will be out. Seeing how sooooo many P85 owners were miffed when the P85D was announced I wonder if the same thing will happen when the new GF packs arrive early.

It really won't make any difference when new battery packs are available. Early or late, doesn't matter. There will most likely be a lot of miffed customers.
Recently, Elon recently acknowledged when there are significant changes it is definitely a challenge for Tesla to manage customer reaction.

If a new pack were made available '16/'17 how much would a trade in value of a current 85kwh pack? I'm in the same boat as most owners in that their pack would only be ~3 yrs old but would be very interested in upgrading to the new pack.

I don't believe you will even have that option so soon. I expect that gigafactory output will first go to new MS and MX and then as capacity grows to M3. I doubt a replacement pack will be available for existing MS much before 2019-20 when the factory is close to full output.

I don't believe you will even have that option so soon. I expect that gigafactory output will first go to new MS and MX and then as capacity grows to M3. I doubt a replacement pack will be available for existing MS much before 2019-20 when the factory is close to full output.
I see your point. So people like myself will likely be wanting to sell and trade up to the new MS, thereby recreating a somewhat similar scenario of P85 owners buying P85D's en mass. But boy, when that pack transition goes live....all those people who've owned a MS for less than a couple months, man watch out.