TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Changes/Updates to Model S when Model X is ready

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by vitaliy, Jun 30, 2015.

1. vitaliy

vitaliy Member

I'm pretty sure that Model S will get some changes/updates as soon as Model X is ready (or shortly after). Do you think it will happen in July/August? Is it worth waiting or should I just order it now?))

2. electracity

electracity Active Member

#2 electracity, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    I think there will be model S changes concurrent with the mod X reveal. I think there will be silence from Tesla until that day.

Edit: The reveal could be in the next six weeks.

3. StarkNaked

StarkNaked Member

I almost waited till August to try for a shot at VIN 99999, but my wife decided she liked the car so much she got me one for our anniversary...

I'd wait just a little longer in case the S get some love at the X reveal...

4. BozieBeMe2

BozieBeMe2 Member

Great! and congratulations.
    Our anniversary is the first of July and we too, are getting a 'Tessie' to celebrate.

5. commasign

commasign Active Member

Tesla promised no major changes to Model S for 1 year right after the Dual Motor event last October. So we're due for some major changes this October. ;)

6. AziwA

AziwA Member

To be fair, they said "about" one year.

7. steph280

steph280 Member

Interesting. Our MS delivery just happened to be on our anniversary day as well. It wasn't planned that way but ended up to be an anniversary present.

8. Fiver

Fiver Member

Also I don't know about you, but I sure as hell considered the 70D a major change, so I take those comments from Tesla with a grain of salt.

9. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Tesla continuously rolls out changes, some major, some minor. If you're going to be waiting for the "best of the best", you'll never have a Tesla. I bought one, knowing that in a few months, my car will likely not be the latest and greatest. But at least I'm driving it now.

10. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

#10 ArtInCT, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    Due to specific personal financials, I will be ordering my P85D (or whatever it is called at that time) in late November 2015 for a late March delivery.

I did read about a new design for the wheels (Bloomburg article on Elon Musk) a few months ago.

I have also read about a new design for the Pano Roof... Know nothing more about this.

Other than that small change who knows what Tesla has up its sleeve as far as the S is concerned.

Like many others, I do suspect that some changes for the S will be coming either at the time of X configuration or perhaps a quarter or so later.
    I think the X's teething pains on the production line will prompt most within Tesla to keep things as close to the same on the S other than
    simple bolt on parts variances, i.e.: wheels.

11. pdq

pdq Member

Is it true that the S uses suspension components from Mercedes?

If so, what would be really good is if the S got MBs active suspension option. It uses sensors to "read" the road surface, and then adjusts the suspension at each wheel independently to offset rough roads, pot holes, ridges, etc. From people I've talked to, the closest comparison they can make is that it's like you're always driving on a freshly laid asphalt highway.

That would be my vote.

12. vitaliy

vitaliy Member

I was following this forum for a while and my list of desired features keep on growing)) I just shortened it from 34 to 10, and here it is (sorted by desirability :cool:):

1. Mobileye EyeQ4 (for even better autopilot)
    2. MBs active suspension
    3. Power door/frunk closers
    4. RAM (to store maps & record video from cameras)
    5. Latest processor to speed up UI
    6. Ventilated seats
    7. Heated steering wheel
    8. Door handle bars & storage
    9. Back-seat accessible USB ports
    10. Tire pressure sensors

Don't get me wrong, I just have a strong feeling that Model S will get better when Model X is ready, so hopefully 2-3 month of waiting was worth it. And hopefully I can check off some items from my list :rolleyes:

13. LargeHamCollider

LargeHamCollider Battery cells != scalable

already has 7 and 10.

14. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Not 10. Well it has TPMS, which is required by law, but it doesn't give individual tire pressure readouts.