Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes & Updates to the Model S over the Past 4 Years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jdw

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2015
Vancouver
Having recently updated to a Performance Raven from a 2015 85D, I was amazed at how much the car had improved over the past four years. After reading a number of posts where the general theme was "the S is dead if they don't upgrade it", I thought about what they actually had changed since my last car.

By upgrading, I lost:

Pano Roof
Leather Seats
FUSC

But ... gained quite a long list of changes or improvements from 2015:

Facelift Front End
Frunk & Hood Changes
Body Colored Rocker Panels
New Diffuser
3-Way LED Headlights
New Dashboard & Defrost Vents
Factory Tinted Windows
Glass Roof
Warmer Interior LED Lighting
Better Windshield (less warping)
Darker Dash & MCU Trim
New Center Console
New Front & Rear Seats
Lumbar & Headrest Adjustments
New Folding Side Mirror Mounts
Rear USB Ports & Cupholders
New Parcel Shelf
Vegan Interior
BioDefense Mode
High Resolution Rear Camera
High Resolution MCU Screen
High Resolution Binnacle Screen
AutoPilot Cameras
AP HW 3
MCU 2
Navigation on Auto Pilot
100kWh Battery
48A Charger
200kW Super Charging
600km Range
170wH/km Efficiency
TeslaCam
Sentry
New Charge Port
PMSR Front Motor
Silicon Carbide Inverters
Adaptive Suspension
*Much* quieter ride (Air & Road Noise)
New Suspension Geometry & Steering Rack
Ceramic Wheel Bearings
Standard Pilot Sport 4 Tires
Arcade Games

And, the Performance L was only about $5K more than the 85D in 2015.

The main things that didn't change in some way was the body (behind the nose, above the rocker panels and in front of the diffuser anyway), the doors (no pockets) and the air vents.

Just sayin' ...

Last edited:
Great summary list! I just got a 2016 75D and after reading your list I know I would definitely trade mine in when the warranty is over for a newer S. I had no idea there were so many improvements! I personally couldn't care less about the lack of leather seats and no sunroof. It's the EV tech/drivetrain that made me a convert from ICE cars to EV cars. What is FUSC?

Reactions: BBone and jdw
Great summary list! I just got a 2016 75D and after reading your list I know I would definitely trade mine in when the warranty is over for a newer S. I had no idea there were so many improvements! I personally couldn't care less about the lack of leather seats and no sunroof. It's the EV tech/drivetrain that made me a convert from ICE cars to EV cars. What is FUSC?

I think FUSC is 'free unlimited supercharging'.

Isn't that a plus. I kind of recall listening to AM in the sixties.

Not sure why removal would be a plus. How many thousands of AM stations are there? If you don’t like it don’t use it.
AM is still good for traveling, getting the small town flavor while passing through. AM is still used in the National Parks and emergency weather and road conditions.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Having recently updated to a Performance Raven from a 2015 85D, I was amazed at how much the car had improved over the past four years. After reading a number of posts where the general theme was "the S is dead if they don't upgrade it", I thought about what they actually had changed since my last car.

By upgrading, I lost:

Pano Roof
Leather Seats
FUSC

But ... gained quite a long list of changes or improvements from 2015:

Facelift Front End
Frunk & Hood Changes
Body Colored Rocker Panels
New Diffuser
3-Way LED Headlights
New Dashboard & Defrost Vents
Factory Tinted Windows
Glass Roof
Warmer Interior LED Lighting
Better Windshield (less warping)
Darker Dash & MCU Trim
New Center Console
New Front & Rear Seats
Lumbar & Headrest Adjustments
New Folding Side Mirror Mounts
Rear USB Ports & Cupholders
New Parcel Shelf
Vegan Interior
BioDefense Mode
High Resolution Rear Camera
High Resolution MCU Screen
High Resolution Binnacle Screen
AutoPilot Cameras
AP HW 3
MCU 2
Navigation on Auto Pilot
100kWh Battery
48A Charger
200kW Super Charging
600km Range
170wH/km Efficiency
TeslaCam
Sentry
New Charge Port
PMSR Front Motor
Silicon Carbide Inverters
Adaptive Suspension
*Much* quieter ride (Air & Road Noise)
New Suspension Geometry & Steering Rack
Ceramic Wheel Bearings
Standard Pilot Sport 4 Tires
Arcade Games

And, the Performance L was only about $5K more than the 85D in 2015.

The main things that didn't change in some way was the body (behind the nose, above the rocker panels and in front of the diffuser anyway), the doors (no pockets) and the air vents.

Just sayin' ...
Still no vented seats?
Pretty silly considering my 2004 Lincoln LS had it. Did I mention 2004!
Also my 2014 Fiesta could read my txt and my MS can't. Fiesta! WTH

Reactions: glide
Tesla has some of the most advanced stuff on the planet that no other manufacturer has, and in other cases is outdone by a $12000 Nissan Versa or Chevy Spork, both of which cost less than a battery replacement.

My brother owns a Spork, and I know what I'd rather be driving, even if I don't get text notifications!

I know it's called a Spark, but that name should only be applied to the all-electric version. The gas-powered one, no.

• Funny
Reactions: bmah

Agree with Silver. Great posts. Do you have an opinion at to which is the best handling S? That is a big deal for me. I would have already bought the 3, which in the versions I drove was the best handling Tesla, except that I hated the seats. I even looked into ways of fixing it. Interestingly, every auto upholstery shop I talked to said they would not modify seats. There is too much in them these days, air bags, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Agree with Silver. Great posts. Do you have an opinion at to which is the best handling S? That is a big deal for me. I would have already bought the 3, which in the versions I drove was the best handling Tesla, except that I hated the seats.

I've heard nothing but praise for the "smart" suspension in the Raven Model S. In standard mode I'm told it's more comfy than previous Model S, while in sport mode it's said to be more like the Model 3. However, I haven't had a chance to drive one myself yet. Something to check out if you get a chance, I'd say.

Agree with Silver. Great posts. Do you have an opinion at to which is the best handling S? That is a big deal for me. I would have already bought the 3, which in the versions I drove was the best handling Tesla, except that I hated the seats. I even looked into ways of fixing it. Interestingly, every auto upholstery shop I talked to said they would not modify seats. There is too much in them these days, air bags, etc.

I read some of the blog, and wonder where else the terms "track tuned" and "air suspension" are found together? Coil P85Ds are 1 in 20. I'd say give their Bilsteins a shot, if you can. Coil or air, either way the larger rear motor cars have the more typical power bias of sports AWD.

I read some of the blog, and wonder where else the terms "track tuned" and "air suspension" are found together? Coil P85Ds are 1 in 20. I'd say give their Bilsteins a shot, if you can. Coil or air, either way the larger rear motor cars have the more typical power bias of sports AWD.

Sorry, what does „coil P85Ds are 1 in 20“ mean? Excuse the weird quotes. I just typed something on German and it seems to have carried over (German uses these form of quotes).

Loving it - and it keeps getting better with recent software updates! That could be its own long list of improvements ....
BTW, what is meant by new parcel shelf? I had a cubby made by Norm. Will that still fit? You can see it pictured here.

Also - is there a need to upgrade the interior lighting like there was previously?

I believe also the visors have lighting for my wife to do makeup now too, right?!

EB4AB7D8-261C-4E36-B37C-1C371D303AC8.jpeg

Attachments

• D96C7236-824F-4DC7-BCB9-D11C5A7F1133.jpeg
    D96C7236-824F-4DC7-BCB9-D11C5A7F1133.jpeg
    472.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: aerodyne
The new parcel shelf is slightly heavier & more robust, a minor but noticable difference. The cubby is the same size and the visors do indeed have lighted mirrors now. The interior lighting, including frunk & trunk lighting is the same and still benefits from an upgrade. I had bought the Abstract Ocean upgrades for my previous car and moved them over to the new car.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne