Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes & Updates to the Model S over the Past 4 Years

mbhforum

Apr 4, 2016
Long Island, NY
The new parcel shelf is slightly heavier & more robust, a minor but noticable difference. The cubby is the same size and the visors do indeed have lighted mirrors now. The interior lighting, including frunk & trunk lighting is the same and still benefits from an upgrade. I had bought the Abstract Ocean upgrades for my previous car and moved them over to the new car.
Thanks! Too bad I I think I discarded the original light bulbs. Do you think I still need the string pull for the parcel shelf so it automatically opens and closes with the trunk? I got that from Evannex in the past I think.

Ostrichsak

Sep 6, 2018
Colorado, USA
Thanks! Too bad I I think I discarded the original light bulbs. Do you think I still need the string pull for the parcel shelf so it automatically opens and closes with the trunk? I got that from Evannex in the past I think.
I love the parcel shelf string thingy. I've had it for all of my Model S cars and when I end up with a car w/o them (loaner or something) it's something I immediately notice NOT having. I got the one made by Norm which is cheaper and I think was the originator too. Not sure on the last part but it was cheaper. I had one issue with the 2nd one I bought (seemed to be a random manufacturing issue) and Norm made it right immediately. It's one of my favorite "mod-per-dollar" type mods. Wildly useful for a twenty spot IMHO.

SilverGS

Nov 3, 2016
Ontario
I love the parcel shelf string thingy. I've had it for all of my Model S cars and when I end up with a car w/o them (loaner or something) it's something I immediately notice NOT having. I got the one made by Norm which is cheaper and I think was the originator too. Not sure on the last part but it was cheaper. I had one issue with the 2nd one I bought (seemed to be a random manufacturing issue) and Norm made it right immediately. It's one of my favorite "mod-per-dollar" type mods. Wildly useful for a twenty spot IMHO.
Where can I order this online?

tontod

Jul 14, 2017
Mountain View, CA
Along with the disappearance of the sunroof, there is no more satellite radio option. When driving out in the boonies and streaming drops off, sat radio goes strong. Also, slower AC charging, 48A max vs. 72A previously. Some places have > 48A when on the road and needing a quick boost, the extra amps helps save some time.

jdw

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2015
Vancouver
While I miss the sunroof at times, I appreciate not dealing with the creaks, groans and rattles that could happen with it. Plus, my previous car had a single 40A charger, so a 48A charger was a gain, not a loss. As far as I know, all panoramic roof Ravens have XM radio standard.

mbhforum

Apr 4, 2016
Long Island, NY
One thing we can all agree on I am sure is the the new black interior wood trim is HIDEOUS compared to Obeche Wood Matte from my 2015. Here is what my car will have in it. I will be wrapping or replacing that wood.

Below is my current car as well.

0FF5A40A-D65E-48AA-8241-F181E2352263.jpeg

FBFBA7BC-CB35-437A-9109-35225E02F135.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Art VandeIay

Ostrichsak

Sep 6, 2018
Colorado, USA
One thing we can all agree on I am sure is the the new black interior wood trim is HIDEOUS compared to Obeche Wood Matte from my 2015. Here is what my car will have in it. I will be wrapping or replacing that wood.

Below is my current car as well.

View attachment 498369

View attachment 498368
You mean the top pic? I don't mind it. I used to drool on the Acura Sedan in the early 2000's that had the black wood grain like that.

Also, your bottom pic isn't the obeche wood grain. It's the figured ash.

maximizese

Jan 16, 2018
California
We're driving loaner a 12/18 built S75D with UHFS and Subzero package, while our 2013 S85 is getting its drive unit and contactors replaced. While I love the newer car for its:

faster SuC sessions (doesn't taper the way our 85 does)
Next-gen seating (love the adjustability, bolsters, and texture)
MCU2/LTE/Arcade games/video streaming/100% reliable web browser
quieter ride, tighter door seals and tolerances, windshield that hasn't been blasted by 90K miles of debris
conventional placement of the turn signal stalk
biodefense HVAC
tires that are 25K miles fresher than our own

My wife really misses our car for its:
solo-HOV access decals (saves her 20 minutes each way to/from the office)
sunroof
looser seat bolsters

Like the OP observed, there's a lot of improvements made at roughly the same MSRP as the older models.

mbhforum

Apr 4, 2016
Long Island, NY
You mean the top pic? I don't mind it. I used to drool on the Acura Sedan in the early 2000's that had the black wood grain like that.

Also, your bottom pic isn't the obeche wood grain. It's the figured ash.

Yes, top pic is Matte Obeche Wood from my 85D which I like and the bottom is the current one which from pictures I don’t like. Maybe I I’ll feel differently in person. I don’t like how the center console is wrapped in it also.

Last edited:

mbhforum

Apr 4, 2016
Long Island, NY
The new parcel shelf is slightly heavier & more robust, a minor but noticable difference. The cubby is the same size and the visors do indeed have lighted mirrors now. The interior lighting, including frunk & trunk lighting is the same and still benefits from an upgrade. I had bought the Abstract Ocean upgrades for my previous car and moved them over to the new car.

I’ve had my car since Saturday and there is no question it feels more luxurious and it’s a smoother and quieter ride. I actually feel like I am driving a luxury car now where as before I didn’t. Hard to explain, different feeling.

Love being able to use the browser again for TeslaWaze and having built in SiriusXM to listen to Baba Booey!

You forgot to mention the biggest improvement, lighted vanity mirrors for the wife to do makeup :)

I will say, I’ve lost Summon and Lane Changing with AP 1.0, both which miss dearly, especially Summon which I used to back my car in and out of a tight garage. it has me considering 7k for FSD, which is crazy and I admit it. I still like the Obeche Wood Matte trim vs the Figured Ash, although it’s better in person than those pics. I might do Carbon Fiber one day and cover it.

Reactions: BulldogsRus and jdw

Ostrichsak

Sep 6, 2018
Colorado, USA
I’ve had my car since Saturday and there is no question it feels more luxurious and it’s a smoother and quieter ride. I actually feel like I am driving a luxury car now where as before I didn’t. Hard to explain, different feeling.

Love being able to use the browser again for TeslaWaze and having built in SiriusXM to listen to Baba Booey!

You forgot to mention the biggest improvement, lighted vanity mirrors for the wife to do makeup :)

I will say, I’ve lost Summon and Lane Changing with AP 1.0, both which miss dearly, especially Summon which I used to back my car in and out of a tight garage. it has me considering 7k for FSD, which is crazy and I admit it. I still like the Obeche Wood Matte trim vs the Figured Ash, although it’s better in person than those pics. I might do Carbon Fiber one day and cover it.
Why can't you summon or lane change w/AP1?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC